British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Deprivation and poverty... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/deprivation-poverty-935937/)

BristolUK Apr 22nd 2021 12:29 pm

Re: Deprivation and poverty...

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 12998018)
But didn't the Minister for the 18th century

I actually had to look that up...never heard it before :o

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12998050)
Sikh community have always provided free meals at their Gurdwaras, ---for anyone who 'turns up'!

My local Mosque too, I heard once, and presumably others. Included in my 'odd church' reference so not needing additional mentions.

Lion in Winter Apr 22nd 2021 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12998050)
Sikh community have always provided free meals at their Gurdwaras, ---for anyone who 'turns up'!

Why homeless Britons are turning to the Sikh community for food - BBC News

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12998065)

My local Mosque too, I heard once, and presumably others. Included in my 'odd church' reference so not needing additional mentions.

Which is lovely, but shouldn't be necessary in a developed, wealthy country. We do not have the will to redistribute the goods of our society such that some people are not completely left out and on the borderline of survival. We should be embarrassed.

Expatrick Apr 22nd 2021 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12998065)
I actually had to look that up...never heard it before :o

Over 2000 food banks in UK, 1200 run by Trussell Trust and approx. 800 independents, part of IFAN - plus others such as those run by the Salvation Army, etc.

(Source HoC library, Jan 2020)

Jsmth321 Apr 22nd 2021 4:32 pm

I'll give Sikh's credit for the things they do for the communities they live in and how open they are, Christians could learn a lot from them. The places I have lived with Sikh temples were always inviting and willing to help anyone, where the Christian churches are locked up and empty 6 days a week, and will selectively help those they deem worthy enough of their help.

BEVS Apr 22nd 2021 10:11 pm

The Sikh folk here provide wonderful help within the community as do the Brethren. All quiet and low key but still there.

DaveLovesDee May 14th 2021 9:11 pm

Wales to launch pilot universal basic income scheme

A pilot universal basic income (UBI) scheme is to be launched in Wales, the first minister, Mark Drakeford, has revealed.

The new minister for social justice, Jane Hutt, a close ally of Drakeford’s, will be asked to work on the pilot.

Under a UBI system, every citizen, regardless of their means, receives regular sums of money for life to cover the basic cost of living. Its proponents argue that it can alleviate poverty and give people time to retrain and adapt to changing workplaces, be more creative and become more active and engaged.

Lion in Winter May 28th 2021 1:07 pm

An excellent question.

"Whatever “levelling up” does mean, there will be scant connection with actual need, poverty or inequality. The political question is when will inhabitants of those northern seats, in places like Blackpool – listed by the Living Wage Commission with seven of the most deprived neighbourhoods – discover the deceit that they are due more austerity, just lightly disguised with a few extra illuminations?"

And

"
We live in a country where a third of children are poor – really poor – relative to the country’s ordinary living standards, but the government doesn’t think enough people truly care for it to matter politically. The dismal recent Ipsos Mori poll for King’s College London revealed that many people blamed poor people for their misfortune. Even mid-pandemic, as unemployment rose, nearly half the population thought those losing their jobs were to blame because of their own poor performance at work – only 31% said it was bad luck.Despite all the evidence, people are determined to believe we live in a meritocracy, where success comes from hard work and ambition. Pity for those on low incomes is waning – and this a severe problem for Labour, whose members and activists are so strongly motived by concern for the underdog. Reams of reports pour out of thinktanks, universities and campaign groups describing lives spent in poverty on the bottom rungs of society – but to no obvious avail. This week’s figures show, yet again, that poverty is primarily caused by pitiful wages: 75% of poor children are now in working families; poor despite striving and toiling, full of “merit”, “hard work” and “ambition”.

It reminds me of Thatcher days, when she and her government taught us to blame, point, and laugh at those who were not doing well.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...poverty-levels

Jsmth321 May 28th 2021 4:42 pm

If all it took was hard work, then why are so many hardworking immigrants working on the US farms so poor still? They are working pretty dang hard in my view. A lot of low paying jobs require hard work day in and day out, but still pay less because society values blue collar workers less than white collar workers, why does the person in the warehouse doing 12 hour days, no air conditioning, working hard, get paid less than the officer worker upstairs sitting in air conditioning and by all accounts not working nearly as hard as the warehouse working making less.

Ramp at airports, hard job, not going to survive in that job if you can't work hard, yet those who do that job have been devalued by society over the decades, hourly rate in the mid 1990's was higher than it is in 2021, the job hasn't changed, if anything its harder now since the same job is expected to be done for less pay and less people, so where you used to have 5 people on a flight, now you have 3, more bags than ever, more mail and cargo than ever, but less pay and less people per flight, and shorter ground time.

This part is quite sad reflection on society. "nearly half the population thought those losing their jobs were to blame because of their own poor performance at work – only 31% said it was bad luck.Despite all the evidence,"

I know a fair chunk of people who were laid off due to the pandemic, some were unionized airline workers, and guess what the layoffs don't happen in most airlines by performance, its done by date of hire. You could be the hardest working 5 year employee and get laid off before the lazy 25 year employee who barely works, in many unionized jobs, layoff decisions are not even based on performance strictly by date of hire and nothing else.

All my non-management co-workers from my last job got laid off, no fault of theirs, the company lost 90% of the daily flights, everyone that wasn't in management was laid off.

I know a few who worked in hotels, their hotels closed, everyone was laid off.

So to that nearly half that blame the laid off workers, so to those folks government forcing business to shut down, which then results in said business laying everyone off is somehow the workers not working hard enough?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13011482)
An excellent question.

"Whatever “levelling up” does mean, there will be scant connection with actual need, poverty or inequality. The political question is when will inhabitants of those northern seats, in places like Blackpool – listed by the Living Wage Commission with seven of the most deprived neighbourhoods – discover the deceit that they are due more austerity, just lightly disguised with a few extra illuminations?"

And

"
We live in a country where a third of children are poor – really poor – relative to the country’s ordinary living standards, but the government doesn’t think enough people truly care for it to matter politically. The dismal recent Ipsos Mori poll for King’s College London revealed that many people blamed poor people for their misfortune. Even mid-pandemic, as unemployment rose, nearly half the population thought those losing their jobs were to blame because of their own poor performance at work – only 31% said it was bad luck.Despite all the evidence, people are determined to believe we live in a meritocracy, where success comes from hard work and ambition. Pity for those on low incomes is waning – and this a severe problem for Labour, whose members and activists are so strongly motived by concern for the underdog. Reams of reports pour out of thinktanks, universities and campaign groups describing lives spent in poverty on the bottom rungs of society – but to no obvious avail. This week’s figures show, yet again, that poverty is primarily caused by pitiful wages: 75% of poor children are now in working families; poor despite striving and toiling, full of “merit”, “hard work” and “ambition”.

It reminds me of Thatcher days, when she and her government taught us to blame, point, and laugh at those who were not doing well.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...poverty-levels

Jsmth321 Jun 9th 2021 12:06 am

Summer months are always leaner at food banks typically in Canada.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...316045cfdc.jpg

BristolUK Jun 9th 2021 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13015613)
Summer months are always leaner at food banks typically in Canada.

What's the $11 pack? I can't work out if it's a couple of small roasts or two crazily priced burgers.

Jsmth321 Jun 9th 2021 12:24 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13015619)
What's the $11 pack? I can't work out if it's a couple of small roasts or two crazily priced burgers.

2 round eye steaks with Montreal style sauce., the label says 0.324kg total weight.

Not sure what store they came from, probably donated from a grocery chain.

BristolUK Jun 9th 2021 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13015622)
2 round eye steaks with Montreal style sauce., the label says 0.324kg total weight.

Odds kittykins that's not even a pound :ohmy:. Usually one of the cheaper cuts around $5 or $6 a lb.

Jsmth321 Jun 9th 2021 12:52 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13015624)
Odds kittykins that's not even a pound :ohmy:. Usually one of the cheaper cuts around $5 or $6 a lb.

The already seasoned meats always have a premium attached to the price. I would never buy this at $11 for 2.

Lion in Winter Jun 9th 2021 3:16 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 13015619)

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 13015622)

They should focus on the proteins and fats and fruit. Things like beans and rice are the things that it is actually possible to buy with little money. Been there, done that. Don't they have those big blocks of government cheese in Canada?

The deli counters here often package up the odds and ends of their meats and cheeses that have got too small to slice, all jumbled up together, and sell big packs of it for a couple of bucks. I used to get them and fry them up for a pasta sauce or with rice. Just watch out for the liverwurst.....

Jsmth321 Jun 9th 2021 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13015647)
They should focus on the proteins and fats and fruit. Things like beans and rice are the things that it is actually possible to buy with little money. Been there, done that. Don't they have those big blocks of government cheese in Canada?

The deli counters here often package up the odds and ends of their meats and cheeses that have got too small to slice, all jumbled up together, and sell big packs of it for a couple of bucks. I used to get them and fry them up for a pasta sauce or with rice. Just watch out for the liverwurst.....

I have heard the term government cheese before, until I googled it just now, had no idea there were/are literally blocks of government cheese in the US...

I don't think the Canadian government does cheese though, they don't do much at all for food security, its food banks and other charities, the government provides a minimal amount in social assistance and disability, but its generally in most/maybe all provinces well below the minimum needed to meet ones basic needs so good luck paying rent and buying food, its often one or the other.

Canada also subsidizes agriculture far less vs the US and so we have milk, egg, chicken marketing boards for example that set quotas and such so farmers can make a profit but this in turns inflates the cost of food in Canada. 4 liter jug of milk is pushing $5 now, 12 eggs run $3.30 to $3.350 for regular, organic eggs about double the cost.

Grocery stores, well some sell blocks of cheese though.

https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.c.../p/20178500_EA

$26.98 for 2kg block. (this brand of cheese is a budget brand, made with modified milk ingredients, so its passable, but doesn't milk well and has fairly weak taste.)