Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Deprivation and poverty...

Deprivation and poverty...

Old Apr 15th 2021, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deprivation and poverty...

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
That seems quite good, in that I like the "resources, means, choices and power" inclusion. Terms like "basic level of living standards" need defining of course, since from what you have said it sounds like those might be set a bit low.
Maybe the basket of goods and services is what the government bases it on?

Basket of goods and services are:

Clothing and foot wear
Transportation
Nutritious food
Shelter
Other goods and services which include things such as personal care items, household needs, basic telephone service, school supplies, reading supplies.

Here is the link to the poverty reduction plan if you want to read it, it is a long read with a lot of examples and data.

Old Apr 15th 2021, 3:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Maybe the basket of goods and services is what the government bases it on?

Basket of goods and services are:

Clothing and foot wear
Transportation
Nutritious food
Shelter
Other goods and services which include things such as personal care items, household needs, basic telephone service, school supplies, reading supplies.

Here is the link to the poverty reduction plan if you want to read it, it is a long read with a lot of examples and data.

I'll check it out when I have more time. But what about such things as education and employment opportunity? "Choice" and "power" certainly factor in there.
Old Apr 18th 2021, 6:22 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Identical houses in my little block have all been sold in the last three years for amounts needing 16 times the current salary of the job I had back then.
Sigh.

Yet we're all lazy snowflakes who don't want to work.
Old Apr 18th 2021, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Sigh.

Yet we're all lazy snowflakes who don't want to work.
But interest rates were higher back then.

I'd venture even with the high interest rates if 1980's it was still easier to buy a house. MIL house in 1980 when she bought it was 80,000 today its land value only, but BIL sold it for 2.6 million 2 years ago.

Cheapest house in that town is 989,000 currently.

Old Apr 18th 2021, 2:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'd venture even with the high interest rates if 1980's it was still easier to buy a house. MIL house in 1980 when she bought it was 80,000 today its land value only, but BIL sold it for 2.6 million 2 years ago.

I remember in the UK the mortgage rate went to 15% in the 80’s.
Old Apr 18th 2021, 3:46 pm
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I remember in the UK the mortgage rate went to 15% in the 80’s.
Even higher than that, I believe! See historic lending rates below.

Old Apr 19th 2021, 5:37 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Not the entire time, but yes, totally. My parents put their house keys through the letter box and walked away.......but even by the BoE inflation calculator when they got rid of it in 1990 to today it's averaged 2.9% inflation.
The house they got rid of (thanks to Zoopla) was sold in 2005 for 650k and sold in 2019 for 1.2m.
It ended up 50% of the original price over inflation.

Average salary in the UK is 31k.
Lenders want to keep you below 2.5x annual, so that means borrowing 77,500. Add some deposit on (which you get from **** knows where in most cases) and round it up to 90k you can put down and borrow total.
Suggest you have a partner, who also earns average salary, now we can get to 155k as borrowed, chuck in some deposit of the same amount each to be fair and you're at 180,000 sticking 25k cash down.

According to the UK government, the North East was 143k in December 2020.
Nowhere else was under 180. Some were close but I imagine earnings match the lower prices. South East and South West are 340 and 282 respectively. That's 100-160,000 extra you need to find from your 31k pre-tax salary.

I think there's so many issues to this - supply being one, demand being a huge problem (population increase on a small lump of rock) and the obsession in the UK that we have to buy.
I've not bought in the UK, frankly if I do it'll be a buy-to-let which I'm sure other people will include in the list of issues with the market.

Someone else posted that the most politically damaging thing a party could do would be to **** with the housing market, despite it needing to be better managed.

Old Apr 19th 2021, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Renting wouldn't be so bad in Canada if one could get long term stable affordable rentals, but the reality is most rental units are not dedicated rentals but investment condos that are rented out and flipped on a regular basis, sometimes the new buyer is another investor, sometimes locals who want to move in and so the tenant is forced to move.

It's hard to build roots in a community when renting the way it all works currently.

We will finally have stable rental, but its only because we are moving into government owned housing, and it was the only way we could even get rent that matches our income level and doesn't put us into financial ruin, but eh we will never own, with a national average home price in Canada at 715,000 even I manage to go back to school, retrain, gain skills and work in healthcare, I still wouldn't clear 40,000 a year after taxes.

With a 50,000 down payment, still need a 6 figure income to buy an average priced house.

I'd love to make 6 figures, but eh its not viable for us, maybe if I was smarter and could be a nurse, they make good money and can clear 6 figures with OT.

Old Apr 20th 2021, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Province announced the budget today, and oh my goodness people are freaking out over it, deficit this, debt that, and out of the billions in the budget, people are picking out the increase in disability payments which will cost an extra 29 million per year, yep its that 29 million going to the disabled that is causing the deficits and not all the programs going to businesses and other pandemic related expenses.

One of the worst comments was: "Why should disability be above poverty line, your on disability, your supposed to be poor."

Old Apr 21st 2021, 3:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Los Angeles could become largest US city to trial universal basic income
Los Angeles may soon become the largest city in the US to introduce a universal basic income (UBI) program, joining its neighbors to the north – including Stockton, Oakland and San Francisco – in offering some residents a monthly cash boost with no strings attached. The $24m LA program, introduced as part of Mayor Eric Garcetti’s budget proposal, released on Tuesday, would provide $1,000 a month to 2,000 families for a year if passed by the city council
The other programs mentioned don't seem 'universal' though.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Los Angeles could become largest US city to trial universal basic income

The other programs mentioned don't seem 'universal' though.

Researchers did a small scale study in BC, they gave 50 homeless people $7,500 one time payment and studied their spending habits over 12 months.

What they found was:

They largely spent the money on food, housing, and transportation and moved into stable housing faster.

Spending on temptation goods such as drugs, alcohol, and tobacco decreased.

Recipients on average saved $1,000.

One time cash payment of $7,500 saved the homeless shelter system $8,100 per person over the course of the 12 months.

Some participants were also able to update their job skills.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cana...e-cash-2020-10

Old Apr 21st 2021, 4:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Researchers did a small scale study in BC, they gave 50 homeless people $7,500 one time payment and studied their spending habits over 12 months.
That's interesting but I couldn't help noticing that they had recently become homeless and did not have significant substance abuse or mental health issues.
Essentially they were ripe for getting back on track and a smaller amount - like a month's rent - might have kept them on track to begin with.

It also doesn't seem "right" to have another bunch of people for whom they don't help. I always think about this in medical trials when some new (wonder?) drug is being trialled with some people getting the drug that may help them and some not.

I'd also like to know if the group they were compared to were also recently homeless with no other issues. I don't see any mention of that in the article.

Old Apr 22nd 2021, 10:52 am
Oscar nominated

@J
You've wondered about the situation in the UK before so you may be interested in this.

UK charity gives out 2.5m food parcels as need hits historic high
The Trussell Trust said while its outlets had experienced a 33% increase in the number of food parcels they distributed in 2020-21, this was a fraction of the total food aid handed out in the UK by thousands of other charities, schools and councils.
When I left the UK in 2004 food banks were just not a thing there. Soup kitchens, soup run, drop in day centres, yes, and the odd church or salvation army where you might get a couple of tins of something. We had a social security system which (for all its faults) took care of such things. Loans to cover immediate need (food!) could be taken.
A change of government in 2010 changed all that with austerity measures, caps on benefit income, loans scrapped, reductions in allowances for rent, increasingly punitive sanctions of a level previously unseen and so on.

Here's a graph that illustrates it rather well. From wiki in the UK section

Old Apr 22nd 2021, 10:56 am
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

@J
You've wondered about the situation in the UK before so you may be interested in this.

When I left the UK in 2004 food banks were just not a thing there. Soup kitchens, soup run, drop in day centres, yes, and the odd church or salvation army where you might get a couple of tins of something. We had a social security system which (for all its faults) took care of such things. Loans to cover immediate need (food!) could be taken.
A change of government in 2010 changed all that with austerity measures, caps on benefit income, loans scrapped, reductions in allowances for rent, increasingly punitive sanctions of a level previously unseen and so on.

But didn't the Minister for the 18th century claim that this was all "rather uplifting". Mind you the uplift in the graph does seem to confirm that.
Old Apr 22nd 2021, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

@J

Sikh community have always provided free meals at their Gurdwaras, ---for anyone who 'turns up'!

Why homeless Britons are turning to the Sikh community for food - BBC News

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.