Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

The demise of the main stream media.

The demise of the main stream media.

Old Jul 16th 2020, 12:44 pm
Banned

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The demise of the main stream media.

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Telegraph?

Surely the Telegraph gets a pass?
The two I look at, are The Australian and the Guardian, neither of whom make much of an effort to hide which way they are spinning.

I used to throw NBC News in there but it got utterly unreadable.

The 15 I used to read, were all-sorts from around the world but then, especially at the big publications, they started just printing the same syndicated copy and so I stopped getting local perspective on a story, I was getting the same exact story by the same reporter in 4 different newspapers. That was quite a while ago.

At times I have temporarily bought New York Times subscriptions at election time, but I was decidedly underwhelmed in 2016 and won't do so again this cycle. I shouldn't be able to tell what the story is going to tell me just by looking at the byline on it. Ten years ago a subscription to the Times was worth it just for columnists like Frank Rich, Paul Krugman and Maureen Dowd. Today? The quality has dropped so low that I feel they ought to be paying the customers.

So much that goes to print today, at formerly reputable publications, wouldn't have even passed an editor's first read 10 years ago. Let alone "activist journalism" or "resistance journalism." They would have been told when you're good enough you will get an opinion column and can do that there.

I used to watch a lot of CNN, but a long time ago. I stopped around 2002 or so. Fox News and MSNBC in particular have made editorial decisions to pander to a specific audience. Rush Limbaugh, for instance, doesn't even try to hide it and will say so openly. Rachel Maddow is just the left-wing Rush Limbaugh. Anyone who watches her and thinks they are getting straight goods is just as naive as anyone who thinks the same about Rush.

Last edited by carcajou; Jul 16th 2020 at 12:46 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 2:34 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
The mainstream media is a complete basket case. And everyone except the woke can see it.
The Daily Express.

Not mainstream, or not basket case?
Old Jul 18th 2020, 3:35 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Sun, daily mail, telegraph, and express are the most read "news" sources in England (aka, "mainstream"). All of which are considered "sensationalist tabloids", generally lacking credibility by any academic journalism standards, and all of which consistently offer subtle reassurance of British superiority (generally framed as the inferiority of the rest of the world) as Britain is no longer a global power, and its future becomes more and more uncertain.

The telegraph used to be a pretty respectable rag, but nowadays, it's leaned heavily toward sensationalist tabloid journalism. Most likely because it was losing eyeballs to those printing what people want need to hear.

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 18th 2020 at 3:43 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 4:02 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
..... The telegraph used to be a pretty respectable rag, but nowadays, it's leaned heavily toward sensationalist tabloid journalism. Most likely because it was losing eyeballs to those printing what people want need to hear.
Well at least, unlike other once-great newspapers, the editors at the Telegraph realized that printing material that people didn't want to read, or readers found down-right objectionable, was the path to oblivion.

We gave up our print newspaper subscription about 14 years ago, primarily because of an objectionable editorial direction.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 5:06 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Like good quality, fact based journalism. Nobody wants that shit anymore. Tell me how Meghan and Harry almost split because of William and Kate. Or how those foreign countries are all falling apart as "Britain" once again rules the world.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 5:36 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Like good quality, fact based journalism. .....
Your perception may be the opposite of mine, but I believe that the death of "fact based journalism" lead to the decline of the mainstream media, not the other way around. In other words, the rot set in a long time ago, IMO at least 20-30 years ago, leading to falling circulation, and as "good quality journalism" is time consuming and expensive to research and create, that is what got cut as revenue fell, forcing the media into a downward spiral of falling quality and falling revenue.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

No-one trusts the mainstream media any more - and for good reason.

Old Jul 18th 2020, 6:22 pm
Reasonable Bitch

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Your perception may be the opposite of mine, but I believe that the death of "fact based journalism" lead to the decline of the mainstream media, not the other way around. In other words, the rot set in a long time ago, IMO at least 20-30 years ago, leading to falling circulation, and as "good quality journalism" is time consuming and expensive to research and create, that is what got cut as revenue fell, forcing the media into a downward spiral of falling quality and falling revenue.

​​​​​​​Well, we know who the culprits are (Sun, Daily Mail, Express, Fox, etc) . And they cater to an increasing public appetite for a sensationalist non-fact-based testament to whatever people want to (or are told to) believe. And then, there's Facebook and YouTube, where anyone can post anything and call it "the truth", even if it's complete junk, as illustrated in the previous post.

At least in the US and UK. Most Europeans aren't quite so addicted to sensationalism, find it distasteful, and consequently, European media needs to be careful not to obviously venture too far into that abyss. Nor are Europeans nearly as politically "tribal". Sure, there's tabloid publications like "Bild" But they tend to be dominated by junk stories, like scandals of celebrities and stuff like that.

Fact based, respectable journalistic media still holds the largest readership, particularly for "news", particularly political news. For now anyway.

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 18th 2020 at 6:28 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2020, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Lessons from history that we appear doomed to repeat: