Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Defund The Police

Defund The Police

Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:00 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

Yes, despite not being that progressive, he resents POTUS sending his fatigue-wearing thugs to grab people off the streets of his city. So he got gassed.

He's been busy
Poor man. If he's pissing everybody off though, he might be onto something.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:01 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Poor man. If he's pissing everybody off though, he might be onto something.
That is a reasonably viable hypothesis.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:05 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

That is a reasonably viable hypothesis.
Or he could just be very bad at crisis management. I've been entertaining both lines of thought.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:10 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Or he could just be very bad at crisis management. I've been entertaining both lines of thought.
Maybe he could get his cops to gas Trump's cops.

Anyway, sending the Feds in to Portland was a mistake of giant proportions. The place was finally calming down a bit until that happened. Little Beirut was never going to take that lying down.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:14 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, sending the Feds in to Portland was a mistake of giant proportions. The place was finally calming down a bit until that happened. Little Beirut was never going to take that lying down.
I've spent a little time with it (streaming from Portland) on in the background on these hot evenings while waiting to sleep. Its all so pointless, The feds launch tear gas grenades, people walk back a block or two, feds go back to where they were, people walk back to where they were. more tear gas. Just a show of strength, and gets the feds up and about getting their exercise.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:16 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I've spent a little time with it (streaming from Portland) on in the background on these hot evenings while waiting to sleep. Its all so pointless, The feds launch tear gas grenades, people walk back a block or two, feds go back to where they were, people walk back to where they were. more tear gas. Just a show of strength, and gets the feds up and about getting their exercise.
Maybe stopping at the food cart pods for a snack.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:30 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
I can't find the link again this morning, sorry.

I saw multiple contradictory reports - some painting it as a deliberate arson, some saying things like wayward firework started a small fire etc. Most were refusing to report it at all.

I decided to go with Oregon Public Broadcasting's version of events, since I thought they were the least likely to be putting a slant on it.
You lost your link? Have you tried retracing your steps? Where were you sitting when these multiple contradictory reports came across your airwaves? Maybe the link fell down into the cushions?

Oh look, I think I found it. How did it get there?

https://www.opb.org/news/article/por...ce-union-fire/
Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:42 am
Banned

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You lost your link? Have you tried retracing your steps? Where were you sitting when these multiple contradictory reports came across your airwaves? Maybe the link fell down into the cushions?

Oh look, I think I found it. How did it get there?

https://www.opb.org/news/article/por...ce-union-fire/
No that isn't the link. Completely different story. Same web site however.

The link I saw yesterday, was just about the fire.

Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:44 am
Banned

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You nut, "the other poster" didn't "turn on him". She just pointed out that despite the fact you had characterized him as a progressive, he clearly had other, non-progressive traits such as unleashing tear gas and batons on protesters. You can't turn on someone you never expressed support for in the first place. My OH lived there for years, I'm pretty familiar with his record and yes, in general, he would be classed as progressive. Gassing protesters probably is not progressive.
You claim I am the nut, but you are the one making the case that Ted Wheeler isn't all that progressive?

Are you perhaps, in your explanation of terms above, confusing progressivism with anarchy?

If so, I agree that Ted Wheeler is not an anarchist.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:51 am

You claim I am the nut, but you are the one making the case that Ted Wheeler isn't all that progressive?

Are you perhaps, in your explanation of terms above, confusing progressivism with anarchy?

If so, I agree that Ted Wheeler is not an anarchist.
I think you are trying to have an argument about nothing.

We seem to be at a point in TIO where any and every statement anyone makes gets taken as a throwing down of the gauntlet. It isn't. It's ok to talk like normal people.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 1:56 am
Banned

I think you are trying to have an argument about nothing.

We seem to be at a point in TIO where any and every statement anyone makes gets taken as a throwing down of the gauntlet. It isn't. It's ok to talk like normal people.
I am not throwing down the gauntlet. I am making a statement that some of these mayors are in no-win situations, being aggressively turned against by a very vocal part of their base while continuing to get attacked from the centre and the right.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 2:46 am
WTF?

No that isn't the link. Completely different story. Same web site however.

The link I saw yesterday, was just about the fire.
Did you look around the website?
Old Jul 25th 2020, 2:48 am
WTF?

I am not throwing down the gauntlet. I am making a statement that some of these mayors are in no-win situations, being aggressively turned against by a very vocal part of their base while continuing to get attacked from the centre and the right.
Oh, is that what you said? Because it didn't sound like that when you said it with completely different words and meanings.
Old Jul 25th 2020, 3:12 am
Banned

Oh, is that what you said? Because it didn't sound like that when you said it with completely different words and meanings.
Yes it is. I've copied the relevant parts of that post you are referring to here, for your convenience.

. . . He can't win, which is what happens when you try to get out in front of a freight train. It runs you over. We just saw it with that other poster turning on him - "not that progressive." No reasonable and objective analysis of Ted Wheeler's record, would conclude he is anything other than a serious progressive.

Jenny Durkan is next. Imploring for peaceful protests, which will enrage anarchists and extremists, while at the same time she will be bullied and ridiculed from the right. Durkan does have a benefit in that Seattle is not quite as extreme as Portland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.