Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Defund The Police

Defund The Police

Old Jun 11th 2020, 8:31 pm
  #46  
BE Forum Addict
 
Anian's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: WA state
Posts: 2,759
Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

I wasn't trying to be intellectual, just a smartarse.
I saw the completely contradictory nature of what you posted on one thread compared to another within minutes, it just seemed so dumb that I didn't want it to pass without comment.
Anian is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2020, 2:35 pm
  #47  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 54,779
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Police reform can work, disbanding and starting again. Here is the story of Camden, New Jersey, that has seen a huge drop in crime since policing changed eight years ago. Deescalation and community engagement as people were taught, and not, as the officer says at the beginning "shooting our way out of problems". Imagine this as a national initiative.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us...s-police-force

Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2020, 2:57 pm
  #48  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,230
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Police reform can work, disbanding and starting again. Here is the story of Camden, New Jersey, that has seen a huge drop in crime since policing changed eight years ago. Deescalation and community engagement as people were taught, and not, as the officer says at the beginning "shooting our way out of problems". Imagine this as a national initiative.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us...s-police-force
Now for the real news:

https://www.salon.com/2020/06/13/cam...olice_partner/
paulry is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2020, 3:26 pm
  #49  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 32,618
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Isn't that the website/news agency that was accused of supporting paedophilia?
BristolUK is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2020, 3:36 pm
  #50  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 54,779
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Isn't that the website/news agency that was accused of supporting paedophilia?

I have no idea, but Paulry seems to be advocating for a more radical change in policing than that which happened in New Jersey. I suspect him of being a Marxist.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2020, 4:56 pm
  #51  
Auntie Fa
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,282
Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
Oh paulry. I usually ignore you but I have a personal interest in this one; I live half an hour's walk from Capitol Hill. I've been watching, reading, and writing a journal on it since it all kicked off (a lot closer than that) on 29 May. Could you read or watch some more credible news sources, please?

Look up Converge Media on Facebook. They do a daily update from the site, interview tons of people - protestors, activists, mayor, police chief, fire chief, councillors, etc. They don't edit (most of it goes out live initially) and they don't put out photoshopped images, like some obviously and laughably do. As the mayor said, it's more of a block party, the Summer of Love, up there. Which I actually think detracts from the aims of the many experienced activists and organisations who have been working behind the scenes for a long time. But hey, it gets us in the news. People all over the world are talking about CHAZ - now renamed CHOP.

Organisations involved include King County Equity Now. Look them up, read their demands, see what "Defund the Police" means to them.

Antifascist activities at CHOP -




Kooky. is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2020, 4:58 pm
  #52  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 54,779
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Originally Posted by Kooky. View Post
Oh paulry. I usually ignore you but I have a personal interest in this one; I live half an hour's walk from Capitol Hill. I've been watching, reading, and writing a journal on it since it all kicked off (a lot closer than that) on 29 May. Could you read or watch some more credible news sources, please?

Look up Converge Media on Facebook. They do a daily update from the site, interview tons of people - protestors, activists, mayor, police chief, fire chief, councillors, etc. They don't edit (most of it goes out live initially) and they don't put out photoshopped images, like some obviously and laughably do. As the mayor said, it's more of a block party, the Summer of Love, up there. Which I actually think detracts from the aims of the many experienced activists and organisations who have been working behind the scenes for a long time. But hey, it gets us in the news. People all over the world are talking about CHAZ - now renamed CHOP.

Organisations involved include King County Equity Now. Look them up, read their demands, see what "Defund the Police" means to them.

Antifascist activities at CHOP -


I dunno. Some of those plants look bloody aggressive to me.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2020, 5:03 pm
  #53  
Auntie Fa
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,282
Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I dunno. Some of those plants look bloody aggressive to me.

Maybe they got this the wrong way round. (Could it be more Seattle?)


Kooky. is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2020, 5:05 pm
  #54  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 54,779
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Originally Posted by Kooky. View Post
Maybe they got this the wrong way round. (Could it be more Seattle?)


To be fair, everyone knows you can't protest properly without some decent coffee.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jun 18th 2020, 7:44 pm
  #55  
Fair and balanced
 
kimilseung's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 14,448
kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
I think this is a classic case of Paulry not bothering to read his own links.
kimilseung is offline  
Old Jun 27th 2020, 9:31 am
  #56  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
paulry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,230
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

This is really interesting. The result of the bonkers "Defund the police" attempt has resulted in unexpected/unintended consequences in that America's voters are becoming more populist towards taking back control of their safety, values, and national culture. A much smaller government is likely to be the result if this trend continues to fruition.

paulry is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 11:16 am
  #57  
Sidecar Falcon
 
DigitalGhost's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,735
DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Originally Posted by paulry View Post
This is really interesting. The result of the bonkers "Defund the police" attempt has resulted in unexpected/unintended consequences in that America's voters are becoming more populist
Many of America's voters couldn't become more populist if they tried. They elected a total slimy bastard with no political experience and dictatorial ambitions to the highest law in their land because he promised to reverse the federal social healthcare programs of the previous administration and keep all of the Mexicans at bay. Other than going whole hog and voting for the creation of an actual fascist dictatorship, I'm not really sure what else they could do at this point.
DigitalGhost is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 12:19 pm
  #58  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 54,779
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Many of America's voters couldn't become more populist if they tried. They elected a total slimy bastard with no political experience and dictatorial ambitions to the highest law in their land because he promised to reverse the federal social healthcare programs of the previous administration and keep all of the Mexicans at bay. Other than going whole hog and voting for the creation of an actual fascist dictatorship, I'm not really sure what else they could do at this point.
Very well put.
Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 12:23 pm
  #59  
 
Lion in Winter's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: City of Broad Shoulders
Posts: 54,779
Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

I thought this was a pretty good explanation of what "defund the police" actually means, in this case referring to the UK.

"It’s worth emphasising just how extensive the existing funding has become. Britain has the second largest policing budget per capita in Europeand has some of the most wide-reaching and intrusive public surveillance measures in the world...Less than a week ago, the government announced it was spending £2.5bn on four new prisons to incarcerate 10,000 people. The total bill for the UK criminal justice system, comprising policing, law courts and prisons in 2018-19 was £28.8bn – more than we spend on primary education, more than we spend on social care and far more than we spend on social housing or the environment. But it is precisely these areas of public life which hold the solutions to the problems that the police and prison system are failing to improve. Defunding the police does not mean an immediate end to policing, but instead investing in social policies that prevent people from experiencing violence and harm in the first place."

Whole thing here.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...k-lives-matter

Lion in Winter is offline  
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 4:11 pm
  #60  
Auntie Fa
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,282
Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I thought this was a pretty good explanation of what "defund the police" actually means, in this case referring to the UK.

"It’s worth emphasising just how extensive the existing funding has become. Britain has the second largest policing budget per capita in Europeand has some of the most wide-reaching and intrusive public surveillance measures in the world...Less than a week ago, the government announced it was spending £2.5bn on four new prisons to incarcerate 10,000 people. The total bill for the UK criminal justice system, comprising policing, law courts and prisons in 2018-19 was £28.8bn – more than we spend on primary education, more than we spend on social care and far more than we spend on social housing or the environment. But it is precisely these areas of public life which hold the solutions to the problems that the police and prison system are failing to improve. Defunding the police does not mean an immediate end to policing, but instead investing in social policies that prevent people from experiencing violence and harm in the first place."

Whole thing here.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...k-lives-matter
Well those of us that bother to read about and attempt to understand issues get this already, but it doesn't serve others' narratives. Away with your common sense, LIW!
Kooky. is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.