Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Defund The Police

Defund The Police

Old Jun 10th 2020, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Bullshit. I watched him give that press conference (and saw it several times again on the news) and at no time did he say: Shouldn't a marriage counsellor or similar be better to attend rather than the police? He's been chief for a few years here and the RPS is partnered with several community organisations that go on calls with them.
The nonsense about 'surely an ambulance or paramedic is better equipped to deal with this' is all yours too. Leave the trolling to our resident trolls; you just aren't any good at it.
See bad communication and assumptions. The comment in red about overdoses is mine I was hoping the change in colour font might reflect that but you assume they are the police chiefs.
The comment about the marriage counsellor are also mine and again at the time of typing I had selected red font as in my previous explanation. They turned out black instead.

So now the facts are known like everything else in life perhaps ask for clarification from a poster if you disagree with them rather than insinuating that they might be trolling.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 4:44 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
So now the facts are known like everything else in life perhaps ask for clarification from a poster if you disagree with them rather than insinuating that they might be trolling.
You tried to get something going in the George Floyd thread yesterday by quoting the Pastor's "open season" comments and couldn't get a bite, even though Kimilsung called you on it, then acted like it was unintentional thread drift and you'd rectify it by starting an appropriate thread, then posted inaccurate and misleading quotes on here. What do you think trolling is? From now on everything you post wants fact-checking.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You tried to get something going in the George Floyd thread yesterday by quoting the Pastor's "open season" comments and couldn't get a bite, even though Kimilsung called you on it, then acted like it was unintentional thread drift and you'd rectify it by starting an appropriate thread, then posted inaccurate and misleading quotes on here. What do you think trolling is? From now on everything you post wants fact-checking.
You are entitled to your opinion. Guess I won't be contributing in the Canada Immigration forum anymore if you prefer that all my posts be fact checked.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 5:19 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. Guess I won't be contributing in the Canada Immigration forum anymore if you prefer that all my posts be fact checked.
I'm not likely to think less of you if you flounce.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not likely to think less of you if you flounce.
It was more of asking for your approval to post and not flouncing. I am not likely to think more or less of you regardless if you give me your approval or not.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 8:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Get a room you two!!
Old Jun 10th 2020, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
Have you actually been following the discussion?
Originally Posted by Anian View Post
You've not only not read up on what people mean by defunding the police, but you also haven't read the comments in this thread, and yet you still feel the need to make a statement about it.

This kind of statement is from someone who is a lot less intelligent than some here give them credit for. Someone who has weaker analytical skills and simply soak up whatever is fed to them from just one or two clearly biased sources. They ignore conflicting data from what they see from all sources against what they are already believe and arrive at the same conclusions and opinions they started with.
Ah, the less intelligent/weaker analytical skills card.

I've seen and read enough coverage about this "Defund the police!" slogan to know that it means many different things to many different people, but I'll take the slogan at face value, if you don't mind. If someone yells a solution to problem for example an unsatisfactory house, using the slogan: "Knock down the house!", I'll take it that is exactly what they intend to do. If they meant to "Re-build the house!" or "Redevelop the house!" then that is surely what they should have said? My point is if they really mean to "Reform the police" then they should not be so meally mouthed about it - unless the 'Defund the police (insert your own interpretation here)!" slogan is a deliberate obfuscation to hide a rather more sinister intent?
Old Jun 11th 2020, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Watchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry View Post

I've seen and read enough coverage about this "Defund the police!" slogan to know that it means many different things to many different people, but I'll take the slogan at face value, if you don't mind.
I don't like the term "defund the police". I think it's misleading and unnecessarily provocative. (I don't have a problem with being provocative, but not without good reason.) I'm not even sure that I would necessarily want to reduce police funding. Seeing how US police sometimes behave, I've sometimes wondered why the department concerned could only afford to hire such goons.

I don't like the term "feminism" either, but I'm not going to use that as an excuse to ascribe one interpretation of the term to everyone who applies it to themselves.

But your attitude is classic straw man stuff. Pick the argument that's easiest to counter, ignore the rest.

You're not stupid, Paul (and I've never said so). Your problem is that you're trapped in an identity mindset, and your primary interest is that your side wins. The consequence is that you only see what you want to see.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So what do we really know about the police? Feel free to answer in different colour font.

Who pays the police? My guess would be the taxpayer indirectly via federal/state/municipal or whatever taxes.
How do they receive a budget? Usually by a committee of some description and they decide how much should be allocated based on a number of factors.
Do all police forces have unions? Surprisingly the answer is No.
What does this budget cover? Good question and I did find this link submitted by the Toronto Chief of Police to the Toronto Police Services Board

https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/budg...et_request.pdf

How much do you think the lowest paid State officer in the US is paid? Is just under $35,000 USD a fair amount? Is it still too high for some?

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...ck/3021806002/

So with all this talk of defunding/reallocating money or whatever else you want to call it and we can all agree that change is needed. We should all treat each other equally and with dignity and respect and nobody is superior to anyone, and to help serve and protect or whatever other wording you see on the side of a police vehicle. You are now ready to pursue this career and do your bit then what is the minimum salary you would accept?
Old Jun 11th 2020, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
I don't like the term "defund the police". I think it's misleading and unnecessarily provocative. (I don't have a problem with being provocative, but not without good reason.) I'm not even sure that I would necessarily want to reduce police funding. Seeing how US police sometimes behave, I've sometimes wondered why the department concerned could only afford to hire such goons.

I don't like the term "feminism" either, but I'm not going to use that as an excuse to ascribe one interpretation of the term to everyone who applies it to themselves.

But your attitude is classic straw man stuff. Pick the argument that's easiest to counter, ignore the rest.

You're not stupid, Paul (and I've never said so). Your problem is that you're trapped in an identity mindset, and your primary interest is that your side wins. The consequence is that you only see what you want to see.
It's not straw man stuff at all. I reject the concept of defunding the police because it is reactionary along the lines of smash it down and see what comes out of the ashes! It's not the stuff of cool heads and crikey we haven't seen many cool heads these last few weeks! And coincidentally, those who have the uncoolest of heads are the same who are yelling most loudly for defunding the police. We don't need to use many analytical skills to work out the intended direction of travel on that one. Accusing me of identity mindset? Nice try, but I'm not biting because (sorry, but) that is a load of baloney. Primary interest in my side winning? Yes sure, I'll go with that but my side promotes healing over hatred and justice over chaos. One that values peaceful and cohesive and democratic nation states working together towards shared values of truth, human respect and decency: Where we do our best to give everyone a fair go - where the rule of law prevails and mob rule does not. Nations, each of which comprises a "melting pot" of cultures united under one flag, and where deeply divisive identity politics does not prevail. What side are you on?

As an aside, and further to what you said about Feminism, it has two very distinct strains: Old Feminism and New Feminism ....and never the twain shall meet.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I just repeated exactly what you said on the Trump thread on the same day, but reversed. It is funny that you didn't even notice.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Watchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond repute

It's not straw man stuff at all. I reject the concept of defunding the police because it is reactionary along the lines of smash it down and see what comes out of the ashes!
You pick your own definition of "defund the police" - you say so yourself - then argue with that. How much more straw man does it get?

Most people are talking about reducing the police budget for military-grade weaponry and tasks that don't require police intervention, and reassigning that part of the budget to combating the social causes of crime.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 2:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I just repeated exactly what you said on the Trump thread on the same day, but reversed. It is funny that you didn't even notice.
He was too busy hunting for his cards and trying to protect them from those Marxist street patrols

Anyway, the discussion about "defunding the police" isn't, as others have pointed out, about doing away with the law and ways to uphold it. It's about investing more to address the problems at the source before they are police problems and upholding the law in a different and less violent way, rather than continuing to pour money into an increasingly militarized policing system and imprisonment.

Old Jun 11th 2020, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
He was too busy hunting for his cards and trying to protect them from those Marxist street patrols

Anyway, the discussion about "defunding the police" isn't, as others have pointed out, about doing away with the law and ways to uphold it. It's about investing more to address the problems at the source before they are police problems and upholding the law in a different and less violent way, rather than continuing to pour money into an increasingly militarized policing system and imprisonment.
So the aims of defunding are not at all like this then?

Old Jun 11th 2020, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What you said in content was somewhat different and contradictory to what I said but I kind of feel feel honoured that you used what I said as your template - though it is a tad lazy. I do that sometimes too, but I don't later pull it out of the hat as some strange demonstration of intellectual or memory game prowess over the person whose words I've used as my template. Have you tried playing scrabble?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.