Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Defund The Police

Defund The Police

Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:25 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defund The Police

So, is she the one responsible for the rioting? Being violent and stuff? Because it seems like they all look alike to you.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:36 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
So, is she the one responsible for the rioting? Being violent and stuff? Because it seems like they all look alike to you.

Well it does say she's a marxist, right there on the youtube title, so it must be her.

Although apparently the rioters are also anarchists, which is a tricky combination with Marxism.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Jul 28th 2020 at 9:39 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 9:59 pm
Banned

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
He and Paulry already know that. I've spent hours explaining this and trying to expose their disinformation techniques. Threads have been closed over this very topic. But I guess nothing can stop the lying liars from lying.
Considering that most of your "arguments" are based on personal and character attacks on other posters rather than facts or information (and that is what gets threads closed as per the sticky), I really hope you aren't spending "hours" on it though it doesn't actually surprise me.

You resort to your personal attacks and intolerance when you find it difficult to debate the message being presented. So you go for the messenger. You don't live here - you are just like Paulry - you are a s***-stirring troll - you are a liar - etc etc etc. Mixed in with an amount of manipulative rhetorical devices such as your attempt above to link me, a straight-ticket Democrat, with Paulry and trying to discredit information from mainstream sources like Oregon Public Broadcasting, the Seattle Times and the protest group's own social media feeds as "disinformation."

Every time a centrist or someone on the centre-left like me gets abused by an extremist, it only strengthens our credibility. It doesn't weaken us.

Old Jul 28th 2020, 10:09 pm
Banned

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Well it does say she's a marxist, right there on the youtube title, so it must be her.

Although apparently the rioters are also anarchists, which is a tricky combination with Marxism.
Why do you keep referring to Marxism etc in these posts as though it's right-wing posters doing name-calling?

Patrisse Cullors, the Youth Liberation Front etc themselves directly say they are "trained Marxists" or their objective is to "end capitalism." It's not in dispute. It's not "disinformation." They say it.

If the point is about using political labeling as a manipulation tactic, I wholeheartedly agree and the amount of "communist" (ie directed against Obama) etc "Nazi" (against Trump) etc so weakened the terms that in popular discourse they just came to mean "someone who disagrees with someone."

But in this case, when it comes from those involved themselves? Or are you arguing that they are not actually Marxists and are misapplying the term? If so, how? (that is a serious question - as you say you have read Marx extensively - if those calling themselves Marxists are misapplying the label to themselves, can you elaborate on how).
Old Jul 28th 2020, 10:46 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
r someone on the centre-left like me
What does center-left mean to you? Given that someone such as Ms Clinton, who is routinely placed in the Top-right of those dual axis politics matrix thingymabobs, is viewed as an extreme leftist by yourself.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
What does center-left mean to you? Given that someone such as Ms Clinton, who is routinely placed in the Top-right of those dual axis politics matrix thingymabobs, is viewed as an extreme leftist by yourself.
Just a quick reminder she is irrelevant and the mere mention of her name can be triggering.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 11:30 pm
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Just a quick reminder she is irrelevant and the mere mention of her name can be triggering.
And yet you have managed to do it yet again. Quite impressive, even with an attempted plausible deniability.
Old Jul 28th 2020, 11:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
I don't view Hillary Clinton as an extremist. She is a progressive.

I am much more aligned with someone like Dukakis, who is my role model in American politics. The difference is Dukakis is a liberal while Clinton is a progressive. She said so herself - call her a progressive, not a liberal.

Obama is fairly aligned to me. I've criticised him from the left, particularly on his bank bailouts and feebleness on health care reform.

One issue in current discourse, not having a go at you, is that far progressives often think they are gatekeepers to the left, when they are not. It's a yin-yang. So if you are not a progressive you can't be on the left and if you aren't on the left you must be a Trumpist (as if all right-wingers are Trumpists?). No room for any complexity, diversity of thought or nuance. Very Bushist with-me-or-against-me type stuff - and very tribal.

Last edited by carcajou; Jul 29th 2020 at 1:09 am.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 6:27 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Very Bushist with-me-or-against-me type stuff - and very tribal.
Nah - Bush's false dichotomy was you're either with me or with them, which is entirely different and intentionally very manipulative.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 7:13 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that most of your "arguments" are based on personal and character attacks on other posters rather than facts or information (and that is what gets threads closed as per the sticky), I really hope you aren't spending "hours" on it though it doesn't actually surprise me.

You resort to your personal attacks and intolerance when you find it difficult to debate the message being presented. So you go for the messenger. You don't live here - you are just like Paulry - you are a s***-stirring troll - you are a liar - etc etc etc. Mixed in with an amount of manipulative rhetorical devices such as your attempt above to link me, a straight-ticket Democrat, with Paulry and trying to discredit information from mainstream sources like Oregon Public Broadcasting, the Seattle Times and the protest group's own social media feeds as "disinformation."

Every time a centrist or someone on the centre-left like me gets abused by an extremist, it only strengthens our credibility. It doesn't weaken us.
Pointing out lies is not a personal attack. Unless you are a liar.