Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Deer hunting fever...do you?

Deer hunting fever...do you?

Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:49 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deer hunting fever...do you?

Originally Posted by willmore View Post
How does one "hont" a deer?
That's a sensitive question, I believe it is illegal in a few states.

In other news, did you just point out a spelling error? How wonderfully ironic
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maddyjvn View Post
I love the fact African folks eat the whole animal - offel and all. It's very much doing the culled beast the best in terms of completing a full circle of life.
What do people do in other countries then? I'm betting that all the bits end up somewhere in the food chain, most of it in food intended for humans (mmm...sausages)
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 8:25 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian View Post
What do people do in other countries then? I'm betting that all the bits end up somewhere in the food chain, most of it in food intended for humans (mmm...sausages)
Around here? Horns/Antler on the mantlepiece, steaks and filets....some fur flogged to someone that makes gloves/boots and the rest generally chucked.

Only those who really know what they're doing with the carcass gut it fully and use the whole thing, but most people don't have that know how, so lug the carcass to some place that'll process the meat, and as they tend to charge by the pound of meat processed, people only ask for the decent cuts and the rest gets scrapped.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 9:44 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Around here? Horns/Antler on the mantlepiece, steaks and filets....some fur flogged to someone that makes gloves/boots and the rest generally chucked.

Only those who really know what they're doing with the carcass gut it fully and use the whole thing, but most people don't have that know how, so lug the carcass to some place that'll process the meat, and as they tend to charge by the pound of meat processed, people only ask for the decent cuts and the rest gets scrapped.
TMI below.

Gutting, or field dressing, is the act of removing the internal organs and offal. This is done in the field as soon as possible after the kill. Some of the organs can be kept for cooking. I keep the heart and liver and discard the rest. After that, you have a whole carcass with the skin, fur, head and legs still attached but the body cavity itself is empty. This is the stage where it is usually brought to a processor or butchering is continued and completed at home.

Around here (Kentucky) and back in Missouri many rural people process their own. Those that don't and many of the urban hunters take the carcass to a processor like you say. A standard order at the processor would be: filets, steaks and chops, roasts (neck, shoulder) and the rest ground into burger. That would all be covered under the fee per/lb. At this point you would order any extras you wanted, summer sausage, jerky etc... which take longer and cost extra. The processor charges you for removing the hide and then sells it to a tannery. Some places charge you a fee if you remove the hide yourself before you bring the carcass to them. Not sure what happens to the bones and other non edible stuff but I see it piled in containers behind the shop so I'm sure it gets sold to someone who uses it for God knows what.

A very ballpark figure of meat yield from a whitetail deer would be 30%-40% of the weight of the carcass with the head, hide and innards removed. So a buck with a carcass weight of 180lbs would yield somewhere around 72lbs of boneless meat.

I've never known anyone to leave a viable carcass in the field to rot. Even the "trophy" hunters get the meat processed for their use or donate it to the poor using one of the programs many States have set up for that purpose.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Nov 3rd 2011 at 9:49 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2011, 10:03 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said, those who know, do the gutting...the locals and the like...but there are plenty out of staters who come for the weekend to hunt, get a kill and leave...usually using a local guide who deals with the aftermath and passing on the trophy later.

They don't even usually want the meat so the guide will sell that and the hide and leave anything remotely not valuable or sellable to the local grocery store...they don't need the meat as they usually already have their own.

It's a good weekend earner for the local guides. And I know the gutting should happen on site, and those who don't declare the kills probably do, but way up in Maine, moose/deer need to be weighed whole by an official weigh site, usually local grocery mart or petrol station with one of those hook and harness scales. And they are everywhere in the boonies. You then get your license stamped to say you've had the kill and the weight logged...no license and big world of pain...get caught with a dead animal that isn't road kill without a weight cert, world of pain.

Any moose over 500 pounds gets you put in a state list, name, date, weight and location of the kill and you can get a certificate if you want. FIL is in the club.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 12:15 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Those crazzzy Dutch.

Old Nov 4th 2011, 2:40 pm
Banned

Wanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to allWanderer5 is a name known to all

Deer cause enormous damage to the tree hedges where I live (in central Sweden) and this is likely to go on until the trees somehow manage to struggle to above 3 metres in height.

Nevertheless, I don't hunt them: don't think you should ever take up a weapon in anger. These animals are actually easy enough to scare off...a long way

I must be an inveterate 'townie' who would prefer to buy pre-packaged meat in a shop, rather than killing and gutting an animal myself.

One or two Swedish guys round here hunt deer when they're legally allowed to, and tell me venison is delicious meat
Old Nov 4th 2011, 2:45 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wanderer5 View Post
Deer cause enormous damage to the tree hedges where I live (in central Sweden) and this is likely to go on until the trees somehow manage to struggle to above 3 metres in height.

Nevertheless, I don't hunt them: don't think you should ever take up a weapon in anger. These animals are actually easy enough to scare off...a long way

I must be an inveterate 'townie' who would prefer to buy pre-packaged meat in a shop, rather than killing and gutting an animal myself.

One or two Swedish guys round here hunt deer when they're legally allowed to, and tell me venison is delicious meat
I am not angry with the deer. I just like the way they taste.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank View Post
I am not angry with the deer. I just like the way they taste.

I'm really angry with Brussels sprouts.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:25 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Did they not have the requisite planning permission to remain on your plate?
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:29 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Sprouts have feelings too.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:30 pm

I get angry with the after effects.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:31 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post

Not only that, they call themselves sprouts, but do they actually sprout anything? No, they do not. They just sit there being round and sulphurous

And this whole Brussels business - bloody EU interference if you ask me.
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown View Post
I get angry with the after effects.
Why, don't they use flush toilets?
Old Nov 4th 2011, 4:39 pm
Hail Satan!

Not only that, they call themselves sprouts, but do they actually sprout anything? No, they do not. They just sit there being round and sulphurous

And this whole Brussels business - bloody EU interference if you ask me.
I suppose 'Geneva Mini Cabbages' doesn't quite have the same ring to it?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.