Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Deer hunting fever...do you?

Deer hunting fever...do you?

Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:22 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deer hunting fever...do you?

Originally Posted by coastieexpat View Post
Any of you remember this story ?

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0405/p01s02-ussc.html

" Sliding his computer mouse around until he locates a moving target, the hunter sets the animal in his sites and pulls the rifle's trigger with a click of his finger. Down goes a wild boar. Another trophy bagged.

Yet in this case it's not a video game. It's a new kind of hunting experience in which people anywhere in the world can sit at home and target real game by controlling a gun in a remote location ".
Pathetic.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:03 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank View Post
Not even close.

Actually, the US IS about the only country (Along with our cousins to the North and some Scandinavian countries) where the "average" person can still hunt. In most other places including the UK it's strictly an upper class pastime.
It's a Chris Rock quote, I was seeing if anyone got it. I've been marathoning his late night comedy central specials while I've been up late feeding el bebe. Which has been great except that I end up laughing my ass off at 3am, scaring the baby and waking the husband
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:06 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian View Post
I plan to do it one day. There is a lot more satisfaction in being able to source your own meat, that you know is free-range, that you know didn't suffer for more than a second or smell the blood as they get shifted in queues to the slaughterhouse. If you eat meat, you should at least kill once for food yourself.

But I draw the line at killing for the fun itself, shooting wolves or bears when there isn't a direct threat. People cheer when certain species come off the endangered list because it means they can go out and shoot them! WTF? It's almost extinct and you want to kill more?
I agree, I've no qualm with hunting so you can eat venison all winter or whatever, but when I lived in PA there was a period of time when you could go hunting using a bow and arrow, a f--ing bow and arrow? Why so that the deer could die in a massive amount of agony? Fun fun fun!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:09 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by coastieexpat View Post
Any of you remember this story ?

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0405/p01s02-ussc.html

" Sliding his computer mouse around until he locates a moving target, the hunter sets the animal in his sites and pulls the rifle's trigger with a click of his finger. Down goes a wild boar. Another trophy bagged.

Yet in this case it's not a video game. It's a new kind of hunting experience in which people anywhere in the world can sit at home and target real game by controlling a gun in a remote location ".
That makes me hate the world.
so I wonder what happens to the animal carcass? Does a few more mouse clicks get it bagged up for you?
Old Nov 1st 2011, 12:24 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
It's a Chris Rock quote, I was seeing if anyone got it. I've been marathoning his late night comedy central specials while I've been up late feeding el bebe. Which has been great except that I end up laughing my ass off at 3am, scaring the baby and waking the husband
Ahh, I didn't think that sounded like you.

That makes me hate the world.
so I wonder what happens to the animal carcass? Does a few more mouse clicks get it bagged up for you?
That was pretty much over before it started. Notice the article is from '05.
Here's an update from Wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_hunting
Old Nov 1st 2011, 1:48 pm
Senior Moment

That was pretty much over before it started. Notice the article is from '05.
Here's an update from Wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_hunting
The first internet hunting website, Live-Shot.com, was created in 2005 by John Lockwood, who saw it as a way to provide an authentic hunting experience for disabled persons

LOL because he couldn't say "I invented it for fat lazy sad sacks that play warcraft for 14 hours a day and still live in their parents basement"
Old Nov 1st 2011, 2:12 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

The first internet hunting website, Live-Shot.com, was created in 2005 by John Lockwood, who saw it as a way to provide an authentic hunting experience for disabled persons

LOL because he couldn't say "I invented it for fat lazy sad sacks that play warcraft for 14 hours a day and still live in their parents basement"
Exactly. I can't think of a situation where that kind of thing would be remotely OK. He saw an opportunity to put money in his pocket. His BS was the polar opposite of "authentic". Many States put a decent amount of effort into creating hunting opportunities for the disabled.

There many things I don't like about the current hunting "industry" and culture. The emphasis put on trophy deer, all the crap products being sold to suckers, ostensibly to facilitate success... I'm torn. I like to see more people hunting, but for the right reasons and in the right way. Not as a replacement for golf, which I'm sure the hunting industry would love as evidenced by any of the TV hunting shows/infomercials.

I guess I'm a purist. Or a snob, depending on who's doing the judging.

Last edited by another bloody yank; Nov 1st 2011 at 2:16 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:03 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. I can't think of a situation where that kind of thing would be remotely OK. He saw an opportunity to put money in his pocket. His BS was the polar opposite of "authentic". Many States put a decent amount of effort into creating hunting opportunities for the disabled.

There many things I don't like about the current hunting "industry" and culture. The emphasis put on trophy deer, all the crap products being sold to suckers, ostensibly to facilitate success... I'm torn. I like to see more people hunting, but for the right reasons and in the right way. Not as a replacement for golf, which I'm sure the hunting industry would love as evidenced by any of the TV hunting shows/infomercials.

I guess I'm a purist. Or a snob, depending on who's doing the judging.
You're a pure snob.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 5:25 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

One deer a year was enough for us in addition to the meat, we'd get a pair of gloves and Dad his chopper's mitts. My Dad lost his taste for hunting once I left home and substituted a camera for a rifle.

I wouldn't mind some venison chops cooked with onions right now.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 6:39 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Too lazy and the thought of getting up early, out in the cold...can't be arsed.

The extended family all hunt though, deer, moose, the odd elk.

Originally the grandfolks did it because they needed the meat, big family, rural Maine, just couldn't afford the meat and a decent moose would last them a year...now it's less important, but they still bag a couple animals, div up all the meat, donate the skin.

Lot of kids up that way go hunting before school, because they need to.

BIL was given a shotgun for his 5th birthday...he hasn't used it and it's somewhere in the attic now.

They don't do the extreme stuff though, such as crossbows, black powder or any of that other stuff that extends the seasons.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:07 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Too lazy and the thought of getting up early, out in the cold...can't be arsed.

The extended family all hunt though, deer, moose, the odd elk.

Originally the grandfolks did it because they needed the meat, big family, rural Maine, just couldn't afford the meat and a decent moose would last them a year...now it's less important, but they still bag a couple animals, div up all the meat, donate the skin.

Lot of kids up that way go hunting before school, because they need to.

BIL was given a shotgun for his 5th birthday...he hasn't used it and it's somewhere in the attic now.

They don't do the extreme stuff though, such as crossbows, black powder or any of that other stuff that extends the seasons.

Don't get me started about using dogs.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:22 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

F*** the deer...give me a big hemsbok and some lekker biltong drying in my outhouse any day of the week.

Sorry huntings a way of life here. Have to do it to manage the animals inc. elebonces, lions and all that

Wouldn't mind a Pajama donkey rug for my front hall.

As long as you can eat it, and it's within the said cull quote, then shoot it and eat it. That's my motto...maybe I've been married to a Saffer for too long!

Last edited by Maddyjvn; Nov 2nd 2011 at 8:23 pm. Reason: More shite wine induced spelling errors
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 8:41 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs View Post
Don't get me started about using dogs.
It's all part of the dodgy line beating that's terribly unsporting...that and using traps, still can't believe you can use bear traps in Maine.

One thing that is a little cheeky is using those hunters shelters up on a ladder...not very sporting that.

I think hunting is great, if it's actually hunting, if it's not a fair chance on the animal, it's not hunting and you might as well just buy the meat as what thrill can you get about cheating?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 9:25 pm
Mad Moo plus 2

Maddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of lightMaddyjvn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
It's all part of the dodgy line beating that's terribly unsporting...that and using traps, still can't believe you can use bear traps in Maine.

One thing that is a little cheeky is using those hunters shelters up on a ladder...not very sporting that.

I think hunting is great, if it's actually hunting, if it's not a fair chance on the animal, it's not hunting and you might as well just buy the meat as what thrill can you get about cheating?
I love the fact African folks eat the whole animal - offel and all. It's very much doing the culled beast the best in terms of completing a full circle of life.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ironporer View Post
As it seems that I am the only person in NW AR who does not hont deer, I was wondering if any of you do (ABY excepted...I am sure that's a given)?

I have never been against hunting, just didn't grow up in a hunting family- and it seems that hunting is passed down from Father to son for the most part. I kind of envy thos lucky 8 year olds, killing their own buck, then all the fun of gutting, skinning, hanging, and butchering it...all so they can turn it into summer sausage and jerkey that they could buy at Walmart for 1/2 the price of what was invested in hunting/butchering the bambi.
How does one "hont" a deer?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.