Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Nov 26th 2021, 3:03 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
I just walked in and asked for it. Five minutes, in and out.
Same here.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Nand is an unknown quantity at this point

So there has been some discussion that this new South African variant can deek out the vax. It looks dangerous with over 32 different mutations, everything from more easily contracted to reducing immunedefenses and on top of that able to avoid some of the latest measures being used to heal covidsars victems. Isreal Uk and Japan are not allowing anyone from South A in and most countries demand 14 day quarentine right off the plane even for their own citizns. The W.H.O is said to be deciding what to name the new varient, probably will be called NU.
More trying times.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
Are you telling us that you are under 50, I feel like I've been trolled all this time by a kid.

Straight from the CDC:
'People ages 50 years and older should get a booster shot.'

EDIT: And what exactly did they say to you that implied there were conditions for over 18's eligibility? AZ is pulling your leg presumably because you filthy vaxxer types upset their herd immunity goals.
I'm over 50, under 65

I just re-ran the 'vaccine scheduling' process for two local pharmacies and both allowed me to schedule without any problems, so whatever restriction I ran into circa 2 weeks ago, no longer applies. The specific section of the application that seemed to be relevant 2 weeks ago was a series of questions along the lines of, 'are you an essential worker?', 'are you resident in a household where vulnerable people reside?', etc. Those questions no longer appeared so something appears to have changed. So the good news is, I'm certainly eligible now! And both pharmacies had available appointments throughout the day today - no waiting.

Last edited by Steerpike; Nov 26th 2021 at 5:53 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 6:48 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nand View Post
So there has been some discussion that this new South African variant can deek out the vax. It looks dangerous with over 32 different mutations, everything from more easily contracted to reducing immunedefenses and on top of that able to avoid some of the latest measures being used to heal covidsars victems. Isreal Uk and Japan are not allowing anyone from South A in and most countries demand 14 day quarentine right off the plane even for their own citizns. The W.H.O is said to be deciding what to name the new varient, probably will be called NU.
More trying times.
The science is saying that unvaccinated people/populations encourage the emergence of variants. All the more reason drug companies should have been fairer in their pricing and distribution of vaccines, and more evidence that wealthy countries that hoard vaccines are not only disadvantaging less wealthy countries, they're disadvantaging themselves. Also another argument for people who are able to be vaccinated to do so.
Old Nov 26th 2021, 11:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The new strain found in a person in Belgium who had retrurned from Egypt arrived in Belgium on November 11 and first showing symptoms on November 22.

Canada bans foreign nationals from entering Canada if they have travelled through certain countries in the Southern Africa region, Canadian Citizens and PR's will be permitted entry with a negative test and will need to isolate upon return.

South Africa's daily case count has increased significantly in the last few days after weeks of fairly low case counts.

The WHO reccomends against travel restrictions, but countries no longer seem to really listen to WHO anymore and many including Canada, US have opted to place travel bans.

Might be too late to prevent the new strain from entering countries who have been permitting travel.

"“Most likely this virus is already in other places. And so if we shut the door now, it’s going to be probably too late,” said Ben Cowling of the University of Hong Kong."

Dr. Tam Canada's Federal Health Officer say it wont be surprising if its found in Canada.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8404373/c...id-19-variant/

The color coded chart is explained in his comments if you go to his Twitter.

Old Nov 27th 2021, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Nand is an unknown quantity at this point

They decided to call it Omicron, thinking was Nu could be problematic.

Concerns are high because it can get around the Vax.

Now what?
Old Nov 27th 2021, 1:37 am
**EX-MOD CHECKSUM**

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
The science is saying that unvaccinated people/populations encourage the emergence of variants. All the more reason drug companies should have been fairer in their pricing and distribution of vaccines, and more evidence that wealthy countries that hoard vaccines are not only disadvantaging less wealthy countries, they're disadvantaging themselves. Also another argument for people who are able to be vaccinated to do so.
This report sounds a bit concerning.. https://www.dw.com/en/covid-what-we-...ant/a-59948143

How did the new variant develop?

One theory is that the new variant emerged with all its mutations in one big burst.

Professor Francois Balloux, Chair in Computational Biology Systems at University College London, has been quoted as suggesting it's possible that the virus mutated during a chronic infection of a person whose immune system was already weakened by an untreated HIV/Aids infection.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I'm over 50, under 65

I just re-ran the 'vaccine scheduling' process for two local pharmacies and both allowed me to schedule without any problems, so whatever restriction I ran into circa 2 weeks ago, no longer applies. The specific section of the application that seemed to be relevant 2 weeks ago was a series of questions along the lines of, 'are you an essential worker?', 'are you resident in a household where vulnerable people reside?', etc. Those questions no longer appeared so something appears to have changed. So the good news is, I'm certainly eligible now! And both pharmacies had available appointments throughout the day today - no waiting.
Ah, you must have initially tried immediately before the CDC opened the booster up to all.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 7:43 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

So I wonder which wag, knowing the issue with fears about conspiracies, named this variant OMICRON in the full knowledge that an anagram is MORONIC.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 2:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Two cases of Omicron found in the UK…Chelmsford and Nottingham.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...outhern-africa
Old Nov 27th 2021, 3:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post

Bugger
Old Nov 27th 2021, 3:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post

Bugger

These things can't be stopped from spreading. Not with the mobility both people and stuff have now.

The only thing is for everybody to get bloody vaccinated already (other than medical exceptions).
Old Nov 27th 2021, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
These things can't be stopped from spreading. Not with the mobility both people and stuff have now.

The only thing is for everybody to get bloody vaccinated already (other than medical exceptions).

Exactly this, there is perhaps currently a little bit of an overreaction to this.

We dont know yet how it will behave in the real world. It may even be far more spread than the current data shows, not every positive case is checked for mutations. In fact the majority aren't.

There is currently no data on vaccine efficacy against this mutation. It looks as though this may be different enough to cause the vaccines to be less effective. It could be that although omnicron looks more contagious it may not be as virulent.

Its simply one to watch currently.
Old Nov 27th 2021, 4:00 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

Agree, my 'bugger' was a generic one against mutations/variants.

Originally Posted by Phathamster View Post
Exactly this, there is perhaps currently a little bit of an overreaction to this.

We dont know yet how it will behave in the real world. It may even be far more spread than the current data shows, not every positive case is checked for mutations. In fact the majority aren't.

There is currently no data on vaccine efficacy against this mutation. It looks as though this may be different enough to cause the vaccines to be less effective. It could be that although omnicron looks more contagious it may not be as virulent.

Its simply one to watch currently.
Personally I haven't seen any overreaction, the news sites I read say pretty much what you've said, with the addition of pointing out the conditions that encourage variants. Whether these variants are found to be more or less dangerous than the current ones is only one side of it. As I said in a previous post about this new variant and its mutations, it's an indictment on the world not sharing vaccines equally and the governments of wealthy countries hording vaccines, and also on people who are able to receive the vaccine but refuse to do so. That's my concern and I'm not sure it's possible to overreact to that.

Old Nov 27th 2021, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond repute

Agree, my 'bugger' was a generic one against mutations/variants.

Personally I haven't seen any overreaction, the news sites I read say pretty much what you've said, with the addition of pointing out the conditions that encourage variants. Whether these variants are found to be more or less dangerous than the current ones is only one side of it. As I said in a previous post about this new variant and its mutations, it's an indictment on the world not sharing vaccines equally and the governments of wealthy countries hording vaccines, and also on people who are able to receive the vaccine but refuse to do so. That's my concern and I'm not sure it's possible to overreact to that.

Stock market sell off, slamming shut off borders to certain countries.(which makes little to no difference as is shown time and time again).

​​​​​quick Google of latest covid variant presents this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.