Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Sep 17th 2021, 12:20 am
If I only had a brain

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
SpikeVax sounds badass so I want that one again if I have to have a booster shot.
Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
Whereas Vaxzevriasounds like an STD...
I think Moderna may have had the best marketing team on this one.

Wait to the US commercial start eventually, if we need ongoing boosters, I can see them now " SpikeVax the leader in COVID vaccination, go to your pharmacy or doctor and tell them you want to the spike." followed by about a million side effects and other disclaimers.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 12:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Please keep political posts out if this thread. Thank you.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 1:13 pm
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Unsure if these names will be worldwide but Health Canada has approved them.

Pfizer vaccine is nowComirnaty

Moderna is now SpikeVax

Astra Zeneca is now Vaxzevria
Over here the Pfizer has been known as Comirnaty since before I had my jab back in April.
Similarly the European (as opposed to the Indian) version of the AZ has been known as Vaxzevria for a long time.
Not sure about the Moderna, not heard of SpikeVax before.
Old Sep 18th 2021, 8:51 pm
If I only had a brain

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Over here the Pfizer has been known as Comirnaty since before I had my jab back in April.
Similarly the European (as opposed to the Indian) version of the AZ has been known as Vaxzevria for a long time.
Not sure about the Moderna, not heard of SpikeVax before.
Health Canada isn't always the fastest at approving things, no surprise their approval and thus reporting in Canadian media is late to the game. (always exceptions of course)

Last edited by Jsmth321; Sep 18th 2021 at 8:54 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2021, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting article about Apple employees not wanting to return to work full-time, even in the future when Covid is no longer an issue.

https://www.vox.com/recode/22690190/...anneke-parrish

The real stakes of Apple’s battle over remote work

Apple were one of the most aggressive companies in terms of letting their employees work from home (WFH) when Covid first hit, and are continuing to allow WFH now. But they are saying that, at some point in the future, employees will have to return to the office 3 days a week, and this isn't going down well. It will be interesting to see if this genie ever gets put back in the lamp (worldwide), after over a year of letting people WFH. People have even moved out of town / out of state because they can WFH ... so this will be interesting indeed.
Old Sep 27th 2021, 1:38 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Interesting article about Apple employees not wanting to return to work full-time, even in the future when Covid is no longer an issue.

Apple were one of the most aggressive companies in terms of letting their employees work from home (WFH) when Covid first hit, and are continuing to allow WFH now. But they are saying that, at some point in the future, employees will have to return to the office 3 days a week, and this isn't going down well. It will be interesting to see if this genie ever gets put back in the lamp (worldwide), after over a year of letting people WFH. People have even moved out of town / out of state because they can WFH ... so this will be interesting indeed.
I think these mixed solutions, WFH with a certain number of days in the office, will work very well, long term, in many industries. For instance, my son works in an academic library in California. They’ve been working from home 100% since March 2020. They were not permitted to visit campus at all, except with special permission. Now, they are working at the office two days a week, home three days. Obviously in a library that works well - after all, a certain proportion of library materials and services are physical (books, visiting the library, etc.) Over the last 16 months or so, they’d obviously had to move 100% of services to digital only.

But yes, some folks have relocated thousands of miles away from campus, etc., so they’ll have to regroup ..
Old Sep 27th 2021, 4:33 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

So where is the UK today?

Well, Worldometers tells me from 7 day average of 'new cases' that these cases continues to be relatively high at 30-35k/day and this is stableish and is a slight reduction from the peak of 47k/day on July 21, so in the two months since then we have witnessed an apparent move to a state where new infections remain high so how has this influenced critical cases and deaths?

It's encouraging to see that 'critical' cases have fallen from a peak of about 1080 to stand today at 878, now some of this fall can be explained by a rise in deaths which now stand at a 7 day average of 135-140/day, but the fall in critical cases betrays a trend that doesn't see them being replaced by new critical cases at the same rate and this is a good thing.

Back on 23 July (post 7507) I suggested that data I had pointed to deaths rising to 110-130 although I thought they wouldn't actually be that high, but the results of opening up infected more than I thought, but at least the death rate was close to predictions suggesting the reasoning was reasonably sound.

I only have the barest of data and the government would have more, but it explains why they felt safe in opening up in the first place although it was always one step into the unknown.

What we can say is that the effects of 'opening up' will now have done their worst and barring the effects of some new virulent mutation deaths and critical cases and deaths should continue to gradually decrease.

Old Sep 27th 2021, 7:04 pm
If I only had a brain

Suppose it will also depend on skill level of the WFH people at industry, low skill easy to fill call center jobs that went work from home, a company could just say come back to work in our building or you don't have a job, but those who are more skilled and harder to replace, those workers will have more negotiating power generally.

I for one don't know how people work from home, I could never do it, way more distractions at home with all the neighbors and kids making noise, a dog, and an apartment and its basically impossible to work from home.....I tried once, it did no go well, plus for mental health having work and home combined can be a negative for some and worsen their mental health as they no longer have the interactions of the office environment and work is now home.

What is a positive and benefit to some, can be a negatibe, and dfficult to deal with situation for another, work from home isn't this miracle greatness for everyone.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Sep 27th 2021 at 7:08 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have any actual experience of the new 'vaccine requirements' in their state / country? I'm in California right now, and California now requires restaurants to ask for proof of vaccine (or a -ve test within 72 hours, I think) for entry. We went to one of our favorite Chinese restaurants, masked up and vaccine proof in hand, but we are such 'regulars' there that the waiter just said 'hi' and told us to sit where we want. We watched, and saw most patrons show proof at the door, but then one young-ish couple came in without masks, and they didn't have vaccine proof either. The waiter just kinda shrugged, and sat them anyway! I don't know if they are regulars or not.

Obviously, it's up to the restaurant staff to enforce this which is not a perfect solution, but I guess this whole exercise is more about 'encouraging' rather than enforcing - at least in California.

We also went to our local gym. There, we had to show proof of vaccine, and they updated our 'record' in their database so that on subsequent visits we can just 'badge in'. I watched the flow of people arriving, and a few got turned away. I overheard the lady at the desk say she had to call security in one situation.

In other news, my g/f has scheduled her booster shot for next week (she got her 2nd shot in Feb and is over 65).

Also - I checked into a hotel Friday night in LA, and was not asked for proof of vaccine - so I guess hotels are not included in the plan.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 8:46 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone have any actual experience of the new 'vaccine requirements' in their state / country? I'm in California right now, and California now requires restaurants to ask for proof of vaccine (or a -ve test within 72 hours, I think) for entry. We went to one of our favorite Chinese restaurants, masked up and vaccine proof in hand, but we are such 'regulars' there that the waiter just said 'hi' and told us to sit where we want. We watched, and saw most patrons show proof at the door, but then one young-ish couple came in without masks, and they didn't have vaccine proof either. The waiter just kinda shrugged, and sat them anyway! I don't know if they are regulars or not.

Obviously, it's up to the restaurant staff to enforce this which is not a perfect solution, but I guess this whole exercise is more about 'encouraging' rather than enforcing - at least in California.

We also went to our local gym. There, we had to show proof of vaccine, and they updated our 'record' in their database so that on subsequent visits we can just 'badge in'. I watched the flow of people arriving, and a few got turned away. I overheard the lady at the desk say she had to call security in one situation.

In other news, my g/f has scheduled her booster shot for next week (she got her 2nd shot in Feb and is over 65).

Also - I checked into a hotel Friday night in LA, and was not asked for proof of vaccine - so I guess hotels are not included in the plan.
Currently on a work trip in Saudi.

Every single cafe / restaurant / hotel / office has security and you have to show a special app with your 'status'.
On top of this you have to scan your temperature - majority I have been into have an automatic one, just put your skin in front and it beeps green - very simple and quick to be fair.

The app is fine to whip out and show, except it forces you to constantly share location in the background and zings battery life, so it's a faff to turn off/on as needed but such is.

Masks everywhere, all the time.

7-day average in a country of 30million is 50ish cases a day.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 6:22 pm
If I only had a brain

Hopefully nobody ends up with an infectious disease over this pharmacy and their reusing of syrnges for COVID vaccines, the health authority has revoked the pharmacy from the vaccination program and patients affected have been notified and will need to be tested for disease.

Almost sounds like pharmacist may not have made an innocent mistake since it was multiple patients over 2 day period, but they were fired from the pharmacy they worked at and the regulatory body has drug administration certification and the pharmacist involved signed an agreement with the college of pharmacists that he wont administer injections or act as a pharmacy manager.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...used-1.6190052
Old Sep 28th 2021, 6:26 pm
If I only had a brain

Only been to 1 place so far that kind of needs to check vaccine passport, they seemed to be scanning the sit down diners, I was just picking up and pick up is exempt, so they didn't ask to see mine.

Overall I really need to go out of my way to end up at any businssess who is required to check, as only a fairly select group of businssess are required to.

Old Sep 28th 2021, 8:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I just got my third Pfizer dose at a local pharmacy. Quite relieved to get it as I’m flying to England next Thursday.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

No masks, no need to show anything where I am, might get that third dose tomorrow.

You occasionally see people with masks but they seems to take them off, put them on, wear them chin style so not sure what the point is.
Old Sep 28th 2021, 9:30 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
You occasionally see people with masks but they seems to take them off, put them on, wear them chin style so not sure what the point is.
Most of the people I see do that seem to be using them to hold up their multiple chins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.