Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Aug 3rd 2021, 5:18 pm
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Yes indeed I am. August 16 to the UK to stay with my sister for a few days - this was originally to serve out my quarantine, and it seems rude to cancel that bit just because I don't need her spare bedroom any more), then the train up to Liverpool on the 23rd to see himself for a couple of weeks. I will be working most of the time throughout, since as a contractor I don't have any paid holiday or anything, but all I really need for that is a laptop and I can get up early and get most of my hours in so I'm free to do stuff in the afternoon and evening. Can't wait.

I'll take the fit to fly tests both ways, and the Day 2 test for which I'll try very hard not to come up positive, but it's much easier and cheaper than before.
Brilliant, hope it all works as planned!
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 5:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expatrick View Post
Brilliant, hope it all works as planned!
Thanks, hope so too.

It's been a long time, but a change is gonna come.

Old Aug 3rd 2021, 11:06 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Yes indeed I am. August 16 to the UK to stay with my sister for a few days - this was originally to serve out my quarantine, and it seems rude to cancel that bit just because I don't need her spare bedroom any more), then the train up to Liverpool on the 23rd to see himself for a couple of weeks. I will be working most of the time throughout, since as a contractor I don't have any paid holiday or anything, but all I really need for that is a laptop and I can get up early and get most of my hours in so I'm free to do stuff in the afternoon and evening. Can't wait.

I'll take the fit to fly tests both ways, and the Day 2 test for which I'll try very hard not to come up positive, but it's much easier and cheaper than before.
Fair play.

I honestly hope you get to see and sort everything you need to during this visit.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

What size suitcase are you taking and remember hubcaps are not actual souvenirs of Liverpool.
Old Aug 3rd 2021, 11:25 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so excited for you. I'm just planning a stay in Liverpool for a couple of nights, so that I can catch up with a couple of friends, do some shopping and explore a couple of museums.
Need to check out the Day 2 test etc. for my trip. Be grateful for any information.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Was chatting to an older customer earlier today, he won't be getting vaccinated because stupid. Or in his words, it's a hurriedly expedited vaccine with little provenance, you can still get Covid if you're jabbed and, get this, Coronaviruses have been around for eons and they don't kill healthy folks...

Normally I try to reason with the unjabbed but today I couldn't come up with much more than 'I'd rather take my chances with any possible future issue the vaccine may have than getting sicker than I was last time round'. Of course, as a wishy-washy born-again foreigner I don't have the direct protection that is available to a gun loving Conservative God botherer...Yes, he did mention God somewhere in his diatribe!

Old Aug 4th 2021, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

When did the Onion start publishing factual non-humour?

https://www.theonion.com/florida-bre...ons-1847416219
Old Aug 4th 2021, 12:35 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Fair play.

I honestly hope you get to see and sort everything you need to during this visit.
Thank you. I need to see my son, my sister, and try to further my plan to get a contract extension on my job based in the UK so we can move back next year. I'm having dinner with the work people (all very nice) so will be cultivating them like hell.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
What size suitcase are you taking and remember hubcaps are not actual souvenirs of Liverpool.
I won't have time, I'll have to learn a whole new language up there, being a southern shandy drinker, etc.

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
I'm so excited for you. I'm just planning a stay in Liverpool for a couple of nights, so that I can catch up with a couple of friends, do some shopping and explore a couple of museums.
Need to check out the Day 2 test etc. for my trip. Be grateful for any information.
I'll be checking that out. It looks pretty easy, a lot of providers, and they can mail them to wherever you will be staying, you can take the sample at home with a video call and mail it off. Or I might just do it at Boots or something. I'll let you know, will be booking one in the next couple of days. Day 2 test has to be done by Day 2 not on Day 2, so you can do them at the airport (Heathrow and Gatwick anyway) but you still have to book a time and for me the risk of flight delays and possible delays getting through customs etc make that too iffy for comfort. You will still need to show you have booked this test on your passenger locator form.

Edit: I'll probably use the Boots service. They post it to where you will be, you mail back the sample in a Royal Mail priority mail box. Doesn't look like a video call is necessary but I haven't gone through the registration process yes. They will send you a certificate and everything. Plus they are a lot cheaper than the airport place I saw.

https://www.boots.com/covid-19-testing

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Aug 4th 2021 at 1:14 am.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 12:40 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
Was chatting to an older customer earlier today, he won't be getting vaccinated because stupid. Or in his words, it's a hurriedly expedited vaccine with little provenance, you can still get Covid if you're jabbed and, get this, Coronaviruses have been around for eons and they don't kill healthy folks...

Normally I try to reason with the unjabbed but today I couldn't come up with much more than 'I'd rather take my chances with any possible future issue the vaccine may have than getting sicker than I was last time round'. Of course, as a wishy-washy born-again foreigner I don't have the direct protection that is available to a gun loving Conservative God botherer...Yes, he did mention God somewhere in his diatribe!
Un-vaxxed people should have to carry an Effin bell around with them.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 1:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Come on you guys…please try to keep this thread on topic.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 4:09 pm
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Get in there. I should cross post this to what made me smile today, but will just say so here

We just did 2 PCR tests in Spain and was 240 euros. 2 Antigens for her folks were 60, so at least the 'lesser' tests are cheaper.
Check with your airline for recommendations on the day 2 one - some have deals. Or, Randox (I think) are doing them for a reasonable price in the UK.

We've managed to have two weeks with 3 of the 4 parents joining us in Spain and it's been utterly wonderful, given the last time I spent more than 2 hours with my Dad was late 2019.
I hope you have a sick time and keep us updated, I'm sure he's buzzing for it too. What's the first dinner you're cooking him? I hope he's started stockpiling the washing, Mummy's love that.
Old Aug 4th 2021, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Get in there. I should cross post this to what made me smile today, but will just say so here

We just did 2 PCR tests in Spain and was 240 euros. 2 Antigens for her folks were 60, so at least the 'lesser' tests are cheaper.
Check with your airline for recommendations on the day 2 one - some have deals. Or, Randox (I think) are doing them for a reasonable price in the UK.

We've managed to have two weeks with 3 of the 4 parents joining us in Spain and it's been utterly wonderful, given the last time I spent more than 2 hours with my Dad was late 2019.
I hope you have a sick time and keep us updated, I'm sure he's buzzing for it too. What's the first dinner you're cooking him? I hope he's started stockpiling the washing, Mummy's love that.

I'm flying Aer Lingus, so will be lucky to get a bag of peanuts let alone a test discount. The Day 2 test isn't too bad though. Randox doesn't appear to have a facility in Winchester, where I'll be at that point, but there are lots of options now.

He wants to go and eat at Nando's. What that says about my cooking I'm not sure. As far as washing goes, he's been largely doing his own since the age of 13 (I'm a great mum, but I'm not a skivvy) so no problem there although apparently I have to bring him socks from the US I've never been to Liverpool, so really looking foward to seeing it.

Glad you could get time with your assorted parents in Spain. It's just been too long for everyone. Don't ever want to do that again.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

New state, new county, new job for my wife. She is currently being 'inducted' with the rest of the county's new teaching hires. Of 20 new staff throughout our small county in SC my wife is the only one with any teaching experience, everyone is vaccinated but she was appalled yesterday when the facilitator asked a young black middle school teacher to remove her mask, she was the only one wearing one although my wife intends to wear hers when she gets among the kids. The reason given was that 'we are all vaccinated here and there is no need for it', how the bloody hell did he know that there is no reason for it?
He obviously didn't read the article I did that said that those vaccinated can still get Covid, can remain asymptomatic, have a high viral load and be highly contagious, not forgetting that anyone can still end up in hospital..

I went into Ace Hardware yesterday, and while checking out, one of the cashiers asked her black coworker, who had approached the till area, why he was wearing his mask again. Is it because, generally speaking, ethnic communities actually follow the news whereas the white derps in a small town rely upon gossip/social media to stay up to date?
Old Aug 5th 2021, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
New state, new county, new job for my wife. She is currently being 'inducted' with the rest of the county's new teaching hires. Of 20 new staff throughout our small county in SC my wife is the only one with any teaching experience, everyone is vaccinated but she was appalled yesterday when the facilitator asked a young black middle school teacher to remove her mask, she was the only one wearing one although my wife intends to wear hers when she gets among the kids. The reason given was that 'we are all vaccinated here and there is no need for it', how the bloody hell did he know that there is no reason for it?
He obviously didn't read the article I did that said that those vaccinated can still get Covid, can remain asymptomatic, have a high viral load and be highly contagious, not forgetting that anyone can still end up in hospital..

I went into Ace Hardware yesterday, and while checking out, one of the cashiers asked her black coworker, who had approached the till area, why he was wearing his mask again. Is it because, generally speaking, ethnic communities actually follow the news whereas the white derps in a small town rely upon gossip/social media to stay up to date?

It shouldn't be anyone's business. If mask wearing is voluntary, if someone wants to they can. Do any of these teachers (assuming the facilitator is one) know the meaning of the word "voluntary"?
Old Aug 5th 2021, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if an anti vaxer bank robber will choose to wear a mask or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.