Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:03 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Letter sent out at my work yesterday... Show proof of vaccination by September 1st, or you don't work here anymore.

Good.

Every employer should do this. As should government at every level,

Then restrict eligibility for any and all social programs. Prevent entry to all venues, car hire, public transport, Top that off with massive hikes in insurance, or just refuse to insure.

Wow. That's a big step for this country. Hope you don't get a load of lunatics with guns showing up shouting about freedom and Bill Gates.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I think there are some here that have close family 'across the water' and they want to be re-united. Doesn't apply to me, but I can sympathize. But also, there's a level of fatigue that is setting in, almost 18 months after this all started. I'm pretty shocked at how 'laissez faire' my g/f and I have become, relatively speaking (compared to 12 months ago).
I would be one of those people. My eldest daughter was due to fly out just as plane traffic was shut down in 2020 so she has a ticket waiting to be used, my youngest is keen to visit as well - I haven't seen her in three years - but the reality is that even if we wanted to visit national policies are going to make it very difficult.

I have been just as guilty of resuming a near normal life, even flew on a plane a couple of months back, when Delta wasn't an issue, that was an eye opener and something I wasn't keen to repeat back then. Now you'd have to drag me screaming and kicking onto a plane, I won't be flying again until this thing is under control - which is what I thought when I last flew...

My wife has just now gotten off the phone with her daughter, I thought she'd already been jabbed but she and and her traitorous, Capitol raiding arsehole of a boyfriend refuse to get vaccinated, she has a three year old who is immuno-compromised and should know better but the derp is strong in those two.

A good friend of my wife's has been on a ventilator for more than a week now, the outlook isn't ,good and his career as a trumpet player is probably done if he does pull through, not the easiest of things to play post-tracheostomy which apparently happens within 14 days of being on a ventilator and he's coming up for that.

It isn't good enough that we, as individuals, are vaccinated if we are still surrounded by those that haven't been. We can still get the virus, for some that is going to be an issue and as I said in my last post the longer and more widely spread that this goes on the more likely that the virus is going to mutate and render the current vaccine useless. Sure I've got 'virus fatigue' but I have a very logical brain which tells me that I will die sometime, I'd rather it were later than sooner but it's not something that eats at me and I still go out of my to steer clear of people. If you (any reader) are like 99.9% of the population of the developed world and hoping desperately that you'll live a long, pain free life then just the thought of getting virus fatigue should scare the living daylights out of you.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:16 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
I would be one of those people. My eldest daughter was due to fly out just as plane traffic was shut down in 2020 so she has a ticket waiting to be used, my youngest is keen to visit as well - I haven't seen her in three years - but the reality is that even if we wanted to visit national policies are going to make it very difficult.

I have been just as guilty of resuming a near normal life, even flew on a plane a couple of months back, when Delta wasn't an issue, that was an eye opener and something I wasn't keen to repeat back then. Now you'd have to drag me screaming and kicking onto a plane, I won't be flying again until this thing is under control - which is what I thought when I last flew...

My wife has just now gotten off the phone with her daughter, I thought she'd already been jabbed but she and and her traitorous, Capitol raiding arsehole of a boyfriend refuse to get vaccinated, she has a three year old who is immuno-compromised and should know better but the derp is strong in those two.

A good friend of my wife's has been on a ventilator for more than a week now, the outlook isn't ,good and his career as a trumpet player is probably done if he does pull through, not the easiest of things to play post-tracheostomy which apparently happens within 14 days of being on a ventilator and he's coming up for that.

It isn't good enough that we, as individuals, are vaccinated if we are still surrounded by those that haven't been. We can still get the virus, for some that is going to be an issue and as I said in my last post the longer and more widely spread that this goes on the more likely that the virus is going to mutate and render the current vaccine useless. Sure I've got 'virus fatigue' but I have a very logical brain which tells me that I will die sometime, I'd rather it were later than sooner but it's not something that eats at me and I still go out of my to steer clear of people. If you (any reader) are like 99.9% of the population of the developed world and hoping desperately that you'll live a long, pain free life then just the thought of getting virus fatigue should scare the living daylights out of you.

There's just no excuse (other than for medical reasons) for people in a wealthy country with full access to vaccines to not get one. It isn't a matter of personal choice - they are making a choice for all of us.

I'm with Nutek. Vaccinate 'em and make their lives impossible until it's done.

Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57999362

BBC News - Covid travel: No quarantine for fully jabbed from EU and US coming to UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57999362

Last edited by Phathamster; Jul 28th 2021 at 12:28 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:25 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hooray Lion, you've cracked it! Posting the link again as it didn't work for me https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57999362
Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Hooray Lion, you've cracked it! Posting the link again as it didn't work for me https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57999362

Thanks something strange happens with sharing the mobile link.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:30 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster View Post
Thanks something strange happens with sharing the mobile link.
I can't use my mobile at all for BE, it doesn't like it. Good of you to post this Phat, it will make lots of people happy
Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

I can't use my mobile at all for BE, it doesn't like it. Good of you to post this Phat, it will make lots of people happy

Hopefully the CDC will reciprocate with the same deal
Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
Letter sent out at my work yesterday... Show proof of vaccination by September 1st, or you don't work here anymore.

Good.

Every employer should do this. As should government at every level,

Then restrict eligibility for any and all social programs. Prevent entry to all venues, car hire, public transport, Top that off with massive hikes in insurance, or just refuse to insure.
True, but isn’t requiring COVID vaccination illegal in many states?
Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:54 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57999362

BBC News - Covid travel: No quarantine for fully jabbed from EU and US coming to UK
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57999362

YES!

Let's hope they bring this in in time for my trip. Flying on August 16. It would be just my luck if it turned out to be Sept 1.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post

Change the law. International public health emergency.

Old Jul 28th 2021, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
YES!

Let's hope they bring this in in time for my trip. Flying on August 16. It would be just my luck if it turned out to be Sept 1.

August 16th is the date when we are going to end self isolating if we are double jabbed and come in contact with someone whos tested positive.

I suspect the travel Quarantine rules to change by then at the absolute latest.

I'll keep an eye out for a date and post here
Old Jul 28th 2021, 1:12 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Yes. Change it.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 1:16 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully the CDC will reciprocate with the same deal
One thing that has come of all this is that it's glaringly obvious that the CDC is unfit for purpose and needs a complete overhaul. It's no more than a stage for political posturing. Gerry Anderson characters have more autonomy (and less strings).
Old Jul 28th 2021, 1:19 pm

August 16th is the date when we are going to end self isolating if we are double jabbed and come in contact with someone whos tested positive.

I suspect the travel Quarantine rules to change by then at the absolute latest.

I'll keep an eye out for a date and post here

Thanks.

Do hope you are right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.