Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Jul 26th 2021, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Anyone who got vaccinated in California can get one of these QR codes by providing the data on the paper CDC card to a CA State website. But... it doesn't currently help getting the NHS to give you a UK QR Code to avoid quarantine and gain entry to UK events that require vaccination. Elvira has posted about her struggles in this regard.
My g/f tried to do just that but the result showed only the first jab (months afterwards). She then tried to use the online process to correct the info (no other process available), but it required her to upload a copy of her drivers license and some other ID info, which she declined to do (I would hesitate at that stage also). Then, out of the blue, she got a message later saying 'your info has been corrected' ... but it was still missing the second jab. Her friend, meanwhile, could not even find the info relating to her first jab, let alone the second. Yet another acquaintance found that her info was wrong - it said 'Pfizer' when she had 'moderna', or similar. So it does seem to be a messed-up system!
Old Jul 26th 2021, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
My g/f tried to do just that but the result showed only the first jab (months afterwards). She then tried to use the online process to correct the info (no other process available), but it required her to upload a copy of her drivers license and some other ID info, which she declined to do (I would hesitate at that stage also). Then, out of the blue, she got a message later saying 'your info has been corrected' ... but it was still missing the second jab. Her friend, meanwhile, could not even find the info relating to her first jab, let alone the second. Yet another acquaintance found that her info was wrong - it said 'Pfizer' when she had 'moderna', or similar. So it does seem to be a messed-up system!
Well that sucks! Everyone I know who's done this has their QR code.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 10:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Oooh, you've got a QR code. We aren't that sophisticated here in the Midwest.
I have a very sexy (not really) digital certificate. No QR code though. I did have a dinky cardboard thing but the nurse at the second vacc told me they were not legal and to dump it.

Old Jul 27th 2021, 1:19 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I just have a piece of cardboard with my first dose handwritten in, and a sticker from my second, but I can also access it electronically though my doctor's medical group. As long as I can prove I'm vaxxed if the need arises though, that's all I really need.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 1:37 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I just have a piece of cardboard with my first dose handwritten in, and a sticker from my second, but I can also access it electronically though my doctor's medical group. As long as I can prove I'm vaxxed if the need arises though, that's all I really need.

Yeah, we all have the bit of cardboard. It will really only make a difference if it gets in the way of travel - ie other countries requiring digital systems. I have it on our health insurance record too.

Old Jul 27th 2021, 2:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The first is a small printed scrap of paper. Looks like anyone could have typed and printed it. Second at is on a copy of Ontario letterhead. At least they both state the batch numbered the vaccine.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 3:41 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Yeah, we all have the bit of cardboard. It will really only make a difference if it gets in the way of travel - ie other countries requiring digital systems. I have it on our health insurance record too.

I guess we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it. I wonder if there's a way you can get it linked to the biometrics on your passport.

I'd suggest that maybe the CDC plans to digitize all vaccine records and cross reference with SSN but I've worked for the government and that's a level or two of efficiency above what they like.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

The CDC is expected to recommend that all in K-12 schools mask up, vaccinated or not. Reports abound that being vaccinated and getting Delta could still turn out badly, numbers in ICU's rapidly rising, mask mandates almost certainly won't be reimposed where it matters and yet, not meaning to be rude, you lot seem to be hung up on proving that you're fit to fly. The way things are going we Americans are going to be lucky if we can get clearance to fly, in the next twelve months, to countries where the lurgy is rampant, let alone anywhere that doesn't want a resurgence caused by Americans and their devil may care attitude.
With our laissez faire attitude the only thing the USA can hope for is a, somewhat drastic, solution to reducing our pollution rates.

Last edited by zzrmark; Jul 27th 2021 at 7:48 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2021, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

...And, more importantly, how long before the virus gets the jump on us and mutates again into something more effective/resilient to drugs?
Old Jul 28th 2021, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark View Post
The CDC is expected to recommend that all in K-12 schools mask up, vaccinated or not. Reports abound that being vaccinated and getting Delta could still turn out badly, numbers in ICU's rapidly rising, mask mandates almost certainly won't be reimposed where it matters and yet, not meaning to be rude, you lot seem to be hung up on proving that you're fit to fly. The way things are going we Americans are going to be lucky if we can get clearance to fly, in the next twelve months, to countries where the lurgy is rampant, let alone anywhere that doesn't want a resurgence caused by Americans and their devil may care attitude.
With our laissez faire attitude the only thing the USA can hope for is a, somewhat drastic, solution to reducing our pollution rates.
I think there are some here that have close family 'across the water' and they want to be re-united. Doesn't apply to me, but I can sympathize. But also, there's a level of fatigue that is setting in, almost 18 months after this all started. I'm pretty shocked at how 'laissez faire' my g/f and I have become, relatively speaking (compared to 12 months ago).

On the topic of idiots not taking the virus (or the vaccine) serious, just read this rather disturbing article about the Ozarks:

‘What’s Covid?’ Why People at America’s Hardest-Partying Lake Are Not About to Get Vaccinated

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...cinated-500784

Old Jul 28th 2021, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I think there are some here that have close family 'across the water' and they want to be re-united. Doesn't apply to me, but I can sympathize. But also, there's a level of fatigue that is setting in, almost 18 months after this all started. I'm pretty shocked at how 'laissez faire' my g/f and I have become, relatively speaking (compared to 12 months ago).

On the topic of idiots not taking the virus (or the vaccine) serious, just read this rather disturbing article about the Ozarks:

‘What’s Covid?’ Why People at America’s Hardest-Partying Lake Are Not About to Get Vaccinated

https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...cinated-500784
The Ozarks, capital of the intelectually challenged population. No surprise.

Old Jul 28th 2021, 4:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another fascinating article, this time from Vox, on the challenges, failures and successes of the Tokyo Olympics as it relates to Covid-19 ...

https://www.vox.com/22586979/tokyo-2...itive-pandemic

Old Jul 28th 2021, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

This is my proof of vax in BC. Very unofficial looking. lol

Old Jul 28th 2021, 12:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
This is my proof of vax in BC. Very unofficial looking. lol
That's about as good as the CDC one.

At this point though, I wouldn't be spending state resources on inventing better ID, I'd be spending them on finding and vaccinating the unvaccinated across the world. Nothing else will do. We have unleashed this thing, and now it's up to us to stop it. If we can go to bloody Mars, surely we can vaccinate people.
Old Jul 28th 2021, 1:00 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Letter sent out at my work yesterday... Show proof of vaccination by September 1st, or you don't work here anymore.

Good.

Every employer should do this. As should government at every level,

Then restrict eligibility for any and all social programs. Prevent entry to all venues, car hire, public transport, Top that off with massive hikes in insurance, or just refuse to insure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.