Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Mar 31st 2020, 5:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
The British public are now being warned that, due to social distancing and a shortage of suitable staff, there could be powercuts even in the summer, just a warning of the possibility.
Interesting. When I mentioned this as a danger here a few weeks ago, I was accused, contemptuously, as a know-nothing panic monger by one of the cognoscenti regulars here!
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:00 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday, at just gone 8PM on the other (closed) thread I posted "I think it took a month to register the first 100,000 cases. It is now over 700,000 having ticked up another 100,000 since yesterday"

It is now (23 hours later) at 837,021 cases.

Exponential growth

Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Interesting. When I mentioned this as a danger here a few weeks ago, I was accused, contemptuously, as a know-nothing panic monger by one of the cognoscenti regulars here!
I remember your post and I never say is as panic monger for a valid concern, if enough % of the population becomes ill, its hard to expect that things will run normally, already have seen some small scale issues in the US such as with ATC facilities having to close for period of time to disinfect and test employees because some had tested positive, Midway Airport was closed at one point for over 24 hours because their tower wasn't open, Vegas had to close their airport for a time as well due to the same issue.

Our transit system is cancelling hundreds of runs a day because they don't have enough drivers due to drivers either being sick, or in self isolation for possibly being sick, NYC EMS system is breaking at the seams because so many paramedics and EMT's are out sick, and of course their call volume is at record highs.

The scale is still small but there are small things happening that could lead to a bigger problem down the road.

Here where I am they keep saying the supply chain is strong, but I am not entirely convinced it is, and now with the government taking control over part of the supply chain, leads me to further think there is a bigger issue brewing there.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
i was thinking that here once the hot humid weather arrives, everyone will be using their AC.
I wonder how the increase in demand from people stuck at home will be balanced by a (presumed) reduction in demand from industry / commerce?

Here in AZ, we do have a rather high dependence on AC! I seem to be somewhat unusual in that I prefer to set my thermostat at 80F, so I can sustain a bit more of an outage than others. BUT - oh oh ... just thought of this ... my freezer cannot! My freezer is full to the brim and I would hate to lose the contents. One more reason perhaps to head to CA ... except in CA, last year the local power companies implemented draconian power cuts pro-actively during high-winds to prevent fire damage!

Fun times ahead ...

Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I have blood tests to do soon. The hospital closed all the ambulatory clinics a couple of weeks ago (I had an appointment cancelled) and the blood clinic is in the same part, right next to an entrance to the building.

I've emailed and they are still doing blood work but entry is now through the main entrance to the hospital with a screening questionnaire and hand-washing.

Of course there will be far fewer entering than is usual what with highly restricted visiting, clinics closed and people discouraged from gong in just to use the Tim Hortons coffee shop, as people do.

It's just routine/regular - albeit includes kidney function (mine's reduced) monitoring so in that respect it's quite important.

I'm a little unsure of the wisdom of directing everyone to one entrance only, the potential bottleneck there, the difficulty with the physical distancing required and then the walk along a long corridor which while not particularly narrow would involve people going in both directions. Or maybe at least exiting from the building can be through that other door.

My requisition form just says April so I may go tomorrow (the first). The Province 'numbers' have tripled in the last week so who knows what they might be later.

It just seems an unnecessary risk for me (62) with diabetes and then to return home to three others, including 81 year old MIL.

Call and ask your doctor for advice, the test might be able to get delayed.

My wife gets monthly liver function tests, but her liver doctor has told her to hold off getting it done for April as to avoid having to go to the lab, my doctor held off testing my thyroid as well.

So might be worth calling and asking your doctor.

Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I wonder how the increase in demand from people stuck at home will be balanced by a (presumed) reduction in demand from industry / commerce?

Here in AZ, we do have a rather high dependence on AC! I seem to be somewhat unusual in that I prefer to set my thermostat at 80F, so I can sustain a bit more of an outage than others. BUT - oh oh ... just thought of this ... my freezer cannot! My freezer is full to the brim and I would hate to lose the contents. One more reason perhaps to head to CA ... except in CA, last year the local power companies implemented draconian power cuts pro-actively during high-winds to prevent fire damage!

Fun times ahead ...
Can you get a small generator? The small one Home Depot sells that run on gas, to run the freezer and some basic stuff ? They are usually not too expensive.

If you do lose power, provided you don't open the freezer, should be good for at least 24 hours if half full, if full can go upwards of 48 hours possibly. Just don't open it.

If not full fill milk jugs with water and freeze them to fill in space, the fuller the freezer the longer it stays cold in a power outage.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Can you get a small generator? The small one Home Depot sells that run on gas, to run the freezer and some basic stuff ? They are usually not too expensive.

If you do lose power, provided you don't open the freezer, should be good for at least 24 hours if half full, if full can go upwards of 48 hours possibly. Just don't open it.

If not full fill milk jugs with water and freeze them to fill in space, the fuller the freezer the longer it stays cold in a power outage.
Good advice! I would guess that generators are going to be like Toilet Paper soon if not already. I live in a 'townhouse' (connected on both sides). I don't know what the rules or practicalities are relating to generators.

I think I'll survive based on the 24-48 hour issue you mention, at least in AZ. In CA, they cut the power in some areas for 4-5 days, which was utterly crazy. Luckily, they didn't hit 'my area' ... last time ...
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Call and ask your doctor for advice, the test might be able to get delayed..
Oh I'm sure it could be, but I wouldn't be happy about the long gap since the last one (for the kidney) especially as I had a relevant medication change.

It's just the access that bothers me. But the worst that happens is I get there and decide not to go in if there are too many people about. I'll be home 10 minutes after leaving.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'm sure it could be, but I wouldn't be happy about the long gap since the last one (for the kidney) especially as I had a relevant medication change.

It's just the access that bothers me. But the worst that happens is I get there and decide not to go in if there are too many people about. I'll be home 10 minutes after leaving.
can you call them and say you are waiting outside, could they call you when it is your turn?
Old Mar 31st 2020, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
We have about a gallon and a half of bleach that can dilute to many more gallons of a solution but we want to keep that as a last resort. We also have a couple of tubs of wipes, so all I was really looking for was another 3-pack of them just in case we run out soon. But they were picked clean.

Just curious ... bleach ... I asked a nurse friend of mine, she suggested 1/3rd cup bleach to 1 quart of water. CDC website suggested 1/3rd cup bleach to 1 GALLON of water. Doing my best to convert these obscure measures to things I can deal with, that would seem to be

My Nurse friend - 1/3rd cup bleach to 1 quart water => 2.66 fl oz bleach to 32 fl oz water.
CDC site - 1/3rd cup bleach to 1 gallon water => 2.66 fl oz bleach to 128 fl oz water.

The CDC guideline seems to be 4x weaker than what my Nurse is saying ...

But in either case, 2.66 fl oz is VERY LITTLE bleach! 1 gallon of bleach = 128 fl oz, so that is 128 / 2.66 = 48 "doses"!

Anyway, what is the correct dilution, would you guys say?

Also - I read somewhere that breathing in the spray from a bleach solution is not good ... is there a concern here?
Old Mar 31st 2020, 7:03 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Just curious ... bleach ... I asked a nurse friend of mine, she suggested 1/3rd cup bleach to 1 quart of water. CDC website suggested 1/3rd cup bleach to 1 GALLON of water. Doing my best to convert these obscure measures to things I can deal with, that would seem to be

My Nurse friend - 1/3rd cup bleach to 1 quart water => 2.66 fl oz bleach to 32 fl oz water.
CDC site - 1/3rd cup bleach to 1 gallon water => 2.66 fl oz bleach to 128 fl oz water.

The CDC guideline seems to be 4x weaker than what my Nurse is saying ...

But in either case, 2.66 fl oz is VERY LITTLE bleach! 1 gallon of bleach = 128 fl oz, so that is 128 / 2.66 = 48 "doses"!

Anyway, what is the correct dilution, would you guys say?

Also - I read somewhere that breathing in the spray from a bleach solution is not good ... is there a concern here?
I believe 2oz to a gallon is OK for general disinfecting, and then go up from there if you want something a bit stronger I guess, but I doubt 8oz in a gallon is going to do any harm for home use anyway.

It's not a good idea to use concentrated bleach in a non-ventilated area but if you're using a dilute solution to wipe down surfaces and whatever, I think you should be fine. Just don't go huffing it or anything
Old Mar 31st 2020, 7:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Steerpike...I have posted several times that I have been bleaching everything down for the last 3+ weeks. Nothing comes through my door before it is wiped down with a bleach/water solution. Then I put it in a spare room. I wear latex gloves while handling the goods, then the gloves are washed in the solution. I even soak veg/fruit in a mild bleach solution, rinsing well half a dozen times. I also use it to wipe door handles and surfaces. I would use the stronger solution recommended by your friend.

i believe it can harm your lungs, but you will not be breathing in neat bleach for a long period of time daily.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 7:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

can you call them and say you are waiting outside, could they call you when it is your turn?
They have a registering/check-in area and then across the hall to the phlebotomists. It's only "your turn" after you've registered so I need to get to that point first.

The screening at the entrance is the additional part.

(not that I even have a cellphone anyway )

Old Mar 31st 2020, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike...I have posted several times that I have been bleaching everything down for the last 3+ weeks. Nothing comes through my door before it is wiped down with a bleach/water solution. Then I put it in a spare room. I wear latex gloves while handling the goods, then the gloves are washed in the solution. I even soak veg/fruit in a mild bleach solution, rinsing well half a dozen times. I also use it to wipe door handles and surfaces. I would use the stronger solution recommended by your friend.

i believe it can harm your lungs, but you will not be breathing in neat bleach for a long period of time daily.
So about 8 fl oz bleach per gallon of water, then, for spraying / wiping door handles, etc? and maybe 2 fl oz bleach per gallon of water for rinsing veg?

I'm taking advantage of 'staging' stuff to quite a large extent. canned goods, boxed items, etc can just sit there for 3-4 days before I touch them. I did get a bit concerned reading about frozen food ... the virus can live a while at frozen temperatures. I obviously don't like leaving anything frozen 'out' for any longer than necessary due to potential spoilage. I bought some big bags of frozen salmon, cod, and ... my best purchase so far ... 'tater tots' ... ! I haven't eaten them in decades, but when I saw them at the store the other day (in the rather sorry frozen veg section) I snapped them up, and oh boy, were they good!

Old Mar 31st 2020, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

(not that I even have a cellphone anyway )
Oh boy - now is not the time to be proudly avoiding something that could be quite useful Get a 'burner' flip phone from Walmart or something ... just for the duration ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.