Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Aug 1st 2020, 9:30 am
Dedicated European

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
GeniB ----Its early indication that air travel should continue because business activity was very important was in retrospect a very dangerous view.
Made in collaboration with Fang Liu (Head of ICAO)...
Old Aug 1st 2020, 1:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
I don't understand this ongoing fight about masks..?. I do understand the fight about civil liberties ,citizens rights over their own bodies etc. i don't like the government telling people what they can and cannot wear. After all they had totally dodged the issue on the wearing of veils and Burka.. which is kind of ironic . I do however agree that all citizens who have to come in contact with the public,ie nurses,doctors,shopkeepers etc. in this time of pandemic ,have the equal right to refuse to attend to you, serve you if you refuse to protect them by not wearing a mask. It's that simple. Indeed ,do your 'thing' but don't expect others to agree with it.
Here in Portugal our scientists have come up with a mask that they say will totally protect you against the Covid 19 virus. It can be washed between five and fifty times? and is cheap. I bought ten last week and gave them to all my family. They are comfortable and thank god 'not' white ..It is indeed NOT advised to wear a mask for any length of time. as there is an oxygen shortage issue .Going in and out of shops is ok.. but not long term shopping periods . So the advice is still to stay home.wear your mask when you have to. If you have a reason not to wear one..don't.. Get someone else to do your shopping,or get it delivered . It's not rocket science. Here we respect our citizens, we protect each other and those who serve us. W have seen what happens when people have no respect ( the recent party ) We don't need anymore examples of disrespectful behaviour . I feel this thread has run its course
Here we go again... The lecture ...

The video was removed for some very odd reason ...Stated that it ... infringed YOUTUBES rules on public content... ( not a direct translation in case someone wants to jump on that ) which is the most bizarre thing I have seen of late ... considering what IS allowed on YOUTUBE

That aside ... I said that it has been discussed, that for some people .. the wearing of a mask for long periods was not advisable... NOT.. DO NOT WEAR A MASK... If you look back at my previous posts on the subject you will see that I endorse the wearing of masks.. However I am aware of the heavy political infighting going on ,especially in the USA which shuts down anyone else's expert opinions, than those approved of by a certain faction.When multi billionaires 'own' all media outlets ,your chances of getting real concrete facts becomes extremely limited .

You state that the doctor in question is 'under investigation for 'dodgy practices' ? Can you elaborate on that ? Can you post the relevant ,non media inspired proof of exactly what that obviously serious investigation is about ... apart from the ongoing smeer campaign and mud slinging one that is .?

I find this whole discussion on here tedious ,because it gives opportunities for some with previous biased views on posters ,to try and do their own 'mud slinging'. regardless of the subject. being discussed. They want to paint a poster into a corner of being 'unreliable ,flaky,ie 'Not one of us'.. I see it happening to DG. Holding a different viewpoint ,or offering different information TO BE DISCUSSED. is obviously not something BE wants or encourages.,which is a shame

As a last word ( promise) this is the latest from the WHO... Pick it apart at your leisure

https://www.westernjournal.com/now-e...Okf7xr-kvISI-k
Who's lecturing who? People are happy to discuss however when they ask someone for links to legitimate research that reinforces a viewpoint they expect to see those links, not hear a rant about Bill Gates. You've now posted a link to a publication called The Western Journal which doesn't even 'prove' your 'facts'. Ignoring the nonsense about how the WHO keep changing the findings (hey guess what, it's a new virus, as they learn more, they change the best way of dealing with it) and it links to the WHO's myth buster page where they explain why the idea that you shouldn't wear a mask whilst exercising because of oxygen levels is a myth and go on to explain why wearing a mask whilst exercising is simply unnecessary and probably unhealthy due to moisture build up. Not sure why you couldn't just link direct to the WHO website. So you still haven't given us either links to research regarding oxygen levels or information regarding the magical mask Portuguese scientists have developed but yes, blame everyone else for not agreeing with your beliefs.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 2:38 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Vaccine progress summary.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng...e-to-a-vaccine

Also, I don't care who's paying for the ****er, just get it out there.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 2:40 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

I'd trust the University of Oxford over any of the others supposedly at Phase 3.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:02 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
I'd trust the University of Oxford over any of the others supposedly at Phase 3.
Well they are certainly reputable. Russia is saying they will start to vaccinate in October. The rather more conservative US (Fauci) is saying they should have a safe and effective vaccine by the end of this year.

No giving up. It's not allowed.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:05 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Well they are certainly reputable. Russia is saying they will start to vaccinate in October. The rather more conservative US (Fauci) is saying they should have a safe and effective vaccine by the end of this year.

No giving up. It's not allowed.
I'd love to know how the Russians intend on doing that. If I had to guess then I'd say they're betting on a vaccine deal with the Chinese. I don't think I would personally trust any medicine from China though. I'm not an anti-vaccine person by any means but I'd much prefer something from a lab in Europe, North America or Japan.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:08 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Anything that passes all the required testing phases is welcome...... however Phase 3 is far more complex, because it has to evaluate the clinical efficacy of the vaccine, alongside all potential negatives. In this case, clinical efficacy means not just the production of antibodies, but their efficacy in preventing infection, the degree of immunity offered and the length of time that any such immunity is effective..... as well as potential costs and ease of distribution.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:17 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Anything that passes all the required testing phases is welcome...... however Phase 3 is far more complex, because it has to evaluate the clinical efficacy of the vaccine, alongside all potential negatives. In this case, clinical efficacy means not just the production of antibodies, but their efficacy in preventing infection, the degree of immunity offered and the length of time that any such immunity is effective..... as well as potential costs and ease of distribution.
Well the problem is if the solution comes from China then that's a political hot potato, especially at the moment..

The FDA and Health Canada can be pricks when it comes to foreign medicine at the best of times and would be funny about anything that came out of a European research lab but if it comes out of a lab in China, a country where corruption and fake medicine are rife, that would be all the more difficult.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go again...
Yep, the walking back what you said.

That aside ... I said that it has been discussed, that for some people .. the wearing of a mask for long periods was not advisable...
No you didn't. What you said was "It is indeed NOT advised to wear a mask for any length of time. as there is an oxygen shortage issue."
You state that the doctor in question is 'under investigation for 'dodgy practices' ? Can you elaborate on that ?
Was there any need to given that I already posted it?
. the ongoing smeer campaign and mud slinging
Like what you said about Bill Gates you mean?
Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Its been mostly silence for the past 2 weeks, but wonder if Canada will ever receive the trial vaccine that was supposed to be shipped to Canada for more testing, Chinese government had been blocking the shipment.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...deau-1.5027419

I am prepared to flee into the US if a vaccine becomes available there first on a widespread scale.

Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Well the problem is if the solution comes from China then that's a political hot potato, especially at the moment..

The FDA and Health Canada can be pricks when it comes to foreign medicine at the best of times and would be funny about anything that came out of a European research lab but if it comes out of a lab in China, a country where corruption and fake medicine are rife, that would be all the more difficult.
Health Canada has already approved one Chinese vaccine to be tested in Canada, problem has been China blocked the shipment to Canada. The media has been fairly quiet since the initial reports though.

Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:42 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Health Canada has already approved one Chinese vaccine to be tested in Canada, problem has been China blocked the shipment to Canada. The media has been fairly quiet since the initial reports though.
And that is precisely why you shouldn't deal with the Chinese. Everything in Chinese diplomacy is tit for tat. They're pissed off about Meng Wanzhou and they're hell bent on punishing Canada by any and all means necessary, even if it means putting innocent people's lives at risk.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2020...tal/index.html

"“If you ask me how the hell have I been able to survive for 134 days nonstop, I guess it’s adrenaline,” he said. “But I'm running on fumes. It’s tough.”

The doctor in the article has signed more death certificates this week than at any point in his career.

If anything else, keep in mind the healthcare workers are people too, and this is taking a toll on their well being as well, and they are giving up a large part of their life to help others, the least we can do is try and reduce hospitalization to take off some of the strain.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Yep, the walking back what you said.

No you didn't. What you said was "It is indeed NOT advised to wear a mask for any length of time. as there is an oxygen shortage issue."

Was there any need to given that I already posted it?

Like what you said about Bill Gates you mean?
Exactly.

I would agree that it is common sense that exercising vigorously with a mask to the point where the mask becomes wet with sweat may have a negative impact on airflow (oxygen flow) through the mask. That is what the most recent posted article by Geni states. No problem there, and this would apply to perhaps 0.1% of all mask wearers. But that is NOT what she said originally, as you rightly clarify.

Geni - I'm really eager to see a response to my question; why the New York Times, Wall St Journal, Google Facebook, WHO, CDC, UN, and others would all conspire to lie about this virus? The NY Times, as just one example, has made a point over the decades of exposing government coverups and mis-deeds; why in this case would these respected media giants be completely cooperating with a worldwide conspiracy? I need some insight into this.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to know how the Russians intend on doing that. If I had to guess then I'd say they're betting on a vaccine deal with the Chinese. I don't think I would personally trust any medicine from China though. I'm not an anti-vaccine person by any means but I'd much prefer something from a lab in Europe, North America or Japan.
With the Olympics postponed the Russian doping labs don't have much to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.