Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Jul 15th 2020, 2:44 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
they name and shame party-hosters in the paper too
Brutal.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 2:46 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Drivel ..... you're back with the sheep insults again.

I suggest you step back, because you're painting yourself into the same box as before.....
I just feel like we've lost that British sense of defiance that got us through WWII and instead are just opting for blind conformance in exchange for a supposedly easier life.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 2:47 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Would you? I don't think you would. I was thinking about this earlier today and honestly I think if this government came out tomorrow and said "after 1st August everyone needs to wear a clown costume when they go out" then the response from most of the population wouldn't be "hang on, what the ****?". It would be "well what clown costume do we need to buy and do I have to wear the big shoes or can I just go out in my normal trainers as long as I wear the bright, multi-coloured wig?".
Utter nonsense and this kind of thing is why you get people's backs up - deliberately I'm sure.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 2:50 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Utter nonsense and this kind of thing is why you get people's backs up - deliberately I'm sure.
OK I think you were the one who mentioned a face covering increase in your local supermarket yesterday. Apologies if it wasn't you but are you honestly telling me that those people all had a sudden change of heart overnight entirely of their own accord or is it because the law is now being abused to pressure them into doing something they don't actually want to do?
Old Jul 15th 2020, 3:03 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

OK I think you were the one who mentioned a face covering increase in your local supermarket yesterday. Apologies if it wasn't you but are you honestly telling me that those people all had a sudden change of heart overnight entirely of their own accord or is it because the law is now being abused to pressure them into doing something they don't actually want to do?
The law isn't in place yet! Many people will have decided that if the Government is now convinced of the benefits of mask-wearing, they might as well do it - because it really doesn't cost them much to suppress transmission of the virus and avoid future lockdowns.

I'd suggest spending 3 months isolated in ICU, 11 days in an induced coma and having a tube passed through a hole in your throat would impact your "liberty" far more than being asked to wear a mask. Or is it OK that people inflict this kind of damage on others due to theit own selfish actions?
Old Jul 15th 2020, 3:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

The law isn't in place yet! Many people will have decided that if the Government is now convinced of the benefits of mask-wearing, they might as well do it - because it really doesn't cost them much to suppress transmission of the virus and avoid future lockdowns.

I'd suggest spending 3 months isolated in ICU, 11 days in an induced coma and having a tube passed through a hole in your throat would impact your "liberty" far more than being asked to wear a mask. Or is it OK that people inflict this kind of damage on others due to theit own selfish actions?
Please calm down. I've already said that I'm not planning to attend any protests or openly flout the law or anything else like that. Nobody else is going to face any more risk on my account. It just means I won't be going to out to do my usual food shopping anymore.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 3:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough, I understand. Sorry about that.

I think my opinion boils down to this. If you're doing something because you feel it's the right thing to do then that's totally understandable but if you're doing something largely against your will and only because a supposedly democratic government is forcing you to do it then that's pretty outrageous and I think at that point we have to start questioning what we've become.
so by your thinking, if a person thinks stealing something from someone is the right thing to do, then it’s OK? If during this process the owner is killed because the burglar thought it was the right thing to do, then that’s OK and the police, government should abide by those rights?

It sounds like you wish to live in a society where no-one is forced to do anything they do not wish to do, and they can do whatever they think is ‘right’. I call than anarchy.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 3:33 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
so by your thinking, if a person thinks stealing something from someone is the right thing to do, then it’s OK? If during this process the owner is killed because the burglar thought it was the right thing to do, then that’s OK and the police, government should abide by those rights?

It sounds like you wish to live in a society where no-one is forced to do anything they do not wish to do, and they can do whatever they think is ‘right’. I call than anarchy.
I really think you're being a bit unfair and melodramatic there.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 3:43 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I really think you're being a bit unfair and melodramatic there.
Oh the irony! .

Calling the requirement to wear a mask "fascist", "communist" and a restriction on you civil liberties isn't being melodramatic?

Old Jul 15th 2020, 3:44 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Oh the irony! .

Calling the requirement to wear a mask "fascist", "communist" and a restriction on you civil liberties isn't being melodramatic?
Not in my opinion, no.

If the government suddenly decide that I should chain a giant cannonball to my ankle and drag that around with me everywhere I go then should I quietly and subserviently do that as well?
Old Jul 15th 2020, 3:54 pm
Resident Cynic

Not in my opinion, no.

If the government suddenly decide that I should chain a giant cannonball to my ankle and drag that around with me everywhere I go then should I quietly and subserviently do that as well?
Do you really don't see how idiotic that statement is?

You insult people who actually care about their fellow citizens and make ludicrous claims about your own right to do as you feel, using melodramatic examples in an attempt to justify your selfish attitudes. God help you if you had to live somewhere that really does impose on your civil liberties, you wouldn't last the day.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 3:56 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't blaming anybody in that post. They asked a question and I just offered up an answer. Governments and businesses are ultimately to blame. The youths of America are no more responsible for any of this than I am. I think you owe me an apology. You've just made accusations based on a conclusion but your conclusion was wrong
No I don't. You were blaming. Tumbleweedy said:
I wonder if its been mutated in the USA! seems no real explanation on that. Airconditioners, ok, but... its really crazy infectious ans people are wearing masks even more than Canadadians, so IDK?
They were making a comment regarding virus mutation but you replied:
If I looked at it from a statistical standpoint, I'd say it was spread by the young. America has been lauded as fortunate in the past because it has a younger population than Canada and most of East Asia and Europe. Over the last few months much of that young population have been partying, rioting, protesting or just carrying on their lives as normal and it's likely that considerable numbers were asymptomatic spreaders. You also had the shortest lock down of any western developed country and a large number of people in the gig economy or living without health insurance.

That's a speculation on my part but to me it all makes sense.
You quite clearly blame the USA's young for doing what you're insisting you should be allowed to do.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 3:57 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
You quite clearly blame the USA's young for doing what you're insisting you should be allowed to do.
I don't remember ever fighting for my right to party in this thread. Please do correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 3:58 pm
Sidecar Falcon

God help you if you had to live somewhere that really does impose on your civil liberties.
I already do. Sadly most of us in this thread do these days.
Old Jul 15th 2020, 4:09 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Not in my opinion, no.

I have honestly never come across a more stupid post (or poster come to that) in my entire life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.