Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Mar 31st 2020, 1:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
A friend with stage 4 pancreatic cancer posed the same issue the other day. She was due to go in for Chemo. We all told her we were sure the cleanliness/hygiene was probably the best she'd be able to find and she'd be fine. I figure they've worked out the best way to manage the situation.
I agree...it just needs the co-operation of those turning up.
Do you have a mask you can use and then straight home, shower, wash clothes etc before mixing with rest of the family? Sounds like overkill but whatever works for a stress free life.
No mask. I always go early, but try to avoid the initial bunch there immediately it opens.

I think I shall wander over and see what it looks like in the entrance. It's only a 5 minute walk so it's not like I'm too put out if I don't like the look of it.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 1:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I agree...it just needs the co-operation of those turning up.

No mask. I always go early, but try to avoid the initial bunch there immediately it opens.

I think I shall wander over and see what it looks like in the entrance. It's only a 5 minute walk so it's not like I'm too put out if I don't like the look of it.
I had bloodwork taken just over 3 weeks ago. The company have an app where you can book an appointment and see the wait times. I went first thing and was in and out pretty quickly. They had already stepped up their procedures compared to 2 weeks previously.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 1:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
... I'm taking her so I'm going to have a word.
Don't be too hard on them.

It would save us all thinking about it if we were under DG's 'house arrest' wouldn't it.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

At last we have the solution.

Old Mar 31st 2020, 1:54 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I had bloodwork taken just over 3 weeks ago. The company have an app where you can book an appointment and see the wait times. I went first thing and was in and out pretty quickly. They had already stepped up their procedures compared to 2 weeks previously.
It works very quickly where I go. Walk-ins only but usually between 5 and 30 mins - even quicker later in the morning but earliest is best for fasting.

It's just hard to know the effect of everyone having to stop for a questionnaire before proceeding.

I just remembered, those parking in the underground parking emerge inside right by the blood clinic. So that crowd won't be going in the main entrance after all and filtering won't be as bad as I was thinking.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 1:58 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
He and his wife were Merengue champions in Angola.
To see them on the dancefloor was a sight to behold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIEK0ad9Y7c
The thought that I might never see them dance again is just breaking me up.
You hang in there. It might come out ok, and you have others who need you too.

Don't feel alone, although I know that's hard. Many are with you in spirit.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

All my blood work stopped right at the start of the lockdown.I had a blood test a few days before it all started before a small opp.This was cancelled,my bloodwork for NIR i do not know what this means, but it is a blood thinning number.Which also has been cancelled,so i just repeat the doses repeatedly week in week out.The medical centers when we have need them work through the pharmacies who ring the doctor and if medicine is required you go to the doctors wait outside a person unknown comes outside asks you what you want(they are fully gowned up and breathing apparatus on) It all seems to be working well,Also regular police patrols which is nice if you need help
Old Mar 31st 2020, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

For Cape Blue once you've landed...

To answer your question in the last thread, my experience is the same as Pommybird. You can get most things in the supermarkets. You might not have the full choice you are used to however - eg you might have to settle for standard penne pasta instead of organic wholemeal stuff - and there appear to be rolling shortages as the supply chain catches up with demand. Popular items like eggs, fresh meat, bread will wax and wane in availability depending on which shop you're in and the time of day. But you won't go hungry. Always plenty of fresh fruit and veg, cheese, cooked meats round here. Can't get flour for love nor money though. Suspect that people are baking to pass away the time.

Also, our experience is that local shops are better stocked than the giant supermarkets. Our local co-op has a better choice than ASDA at the moment, it even had toilet roll in the other day! Independent butchers, bakers, greengrocers are also open and trading.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post

To answer your question in the last thread, my experience is the same as Pommybird. You can get most things in the supermarkets. You might not have the full choice you are used to however - eg you might have to settle for standard penne pasta instead of organic wholemeal stuff - and there appear to be rolling shortages as the supply chain catches up with demand. Popular items like eggs, fresh meat, bread will wax and wane in availability depending on which shop you're in and the time of day. But you won't go hungry. Always plenty of fresh fruit and veg, cheese, cooked meats round here. Can't get flour for love nor money though. Suspect that people are baking to pass away the time.

Also, our experience is that local shops are better stocked than the giant supermarkets. Our local co-op has a better choice than ASDA at the moment, it even had toilet roll in the other day! Independent butchers, bakers, greengrocers are also open and trading.
My wife went to to the supermarket today and has said much the same as you have.Shelves mostly fully stocked, only one restriction and that was loo roll
Old Mar 31st 2020, 2:38 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Very good point about the smaller shops.

I have just been to our huge Tesco to do a big shop for us and our elderly neighbours, they had more or less everything except absolutely no flour. Dropped into Ahmed's corner shop at the bottom of our road on the way home and he had tons of flour, plain and self raising! Bigging it up for our corner shops, they're doing us proud.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 2:38 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
My wife went to to the supermarket today and has said much the same as you have.Shelves mostly fully stocked, only one restriction and that was loo roll
Try to find some disinfecting wipes over here right now, you'll have a bad time. Bog roll isn't far behind, either. Throw poo on the hoarders. Lots and lots of poo.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Do you mean have a poo in the supermarket?
Old Mar 31st 2020, 2:44 pm
Grove 4 Life

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Do you mean have a poo in the supermarket?
I try to poo anywhere but home these days. Why use up my own arse roll, when I can use that which has been paid for by someone else? Be it work, or the shops, I am doing my part to preserve our supply at home
Old Mar 31st 2020, 2:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

same here re small shops. Our local Rabba (think Spar shop) always seems to be well stocked. I read somewhere last week that small local grocery stores in the UK are the way to go.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Smile Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
same here re small shops. Our local Rabba (think Spar shop) always seems to be well stocked. I read somewhere last week that small local grocery stores in the UK are the way to go.
I thought all mice eat is cheese lots of cheese?Hola jersey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.