Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Jun 6th 2020, 11:04 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
The problem is that people are NOT listening to the tourist areas, they have been saying for a long time that car parks and toilet facilities will NOT be open, and currently most have no intention of opeining them either. Therefore people feel it's OK to visit and park their car just where they want to, a number of areas will be getting a boost in income from the parking fines thst have been imposed. One small tourist area ticketed 70 cars on one street alone.
Why would people listen to the tourist areas though?

Boris or Hancock tells them in the daily covid show that they can drive to places and sit in parks (and therefore beaches - why not?) so next morning off they go and do it. Each of the households that did that are doing nothing wrong.

I'm not condoning inconsiderate parking and toilet habits but if councils don't open the car parks and toilets and it causes problems then surely they must shoulder some of the blame.

I think much of the fault lies with central and local government and lack of anticipation and planning.

One simple measure would be a distance limit from home - that is what Wales have done.

Old Jun 6th 2020, 1:07 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
Why would people listen to the tourist areas though?

Boris or Hancock tells them in the daily covid show that they can drive to places and sit in parks (and therefore beaches - why not?) so next morning off they go and do it. Each of the households that did that are doing nothing wrong.

I'm not condoning inconsiderate parking and toilet habits but if councils don't open the car parks and toilets and it causes problems then surely they must shoulder some of the blame.

I think much of the fault lies with central and local government and lack of anticipation and planning.

One simple measure would be a distance limit from home - that is what Wales have done.
NHS trust leaders are up in arms at being given one week's notice to get hospitals ready for visiting and have all their staff, COVID-facing or not, in PPE, claiming that there was no consultation and they only found out when it was announced in the afternoon press conference. There are even claims that the announcement was made "on the hoof" to pad out the conference (at which there was NO scientific input). The government claims "the NHS" was involved in talks, neatly attempting to sidestep criticism and put it at the feet of NHS managers. This is like announcing that all football grounds will be open and offering free entry without speaking to the clubs - and than claiming they had spoken to the FA.

It has not been a good week for a government that claims to make all decisions "based on the science", with many of its erswhile supporters objecting to the dropping of lockdown advice despite little change in the rate of infection across the UK. It really seems that the government is incapabable of inclusive planning... it does not agree strategy with the devolved governments or regional government, but just announces ill-thought-out changes, most of which cannot be enforced as they are advisory. At the same time, MPs have been disenfranchised and others forced to locate away from their constituencies, critical policy changes are being steamrollered through and the reaction to criticism of any members is to hide them away for a while, hoping that the fuss dies down.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 1:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
And while I am on it, why the bloody hell were people queuing for 3 hours to get into IKEA on the first day it opened. If there is a massive queue, go bloody home and wait a few weeks. Your shopping in IkEA is not critical.

What is wrong with people. Serious question? Are similar levels of stupidity being shown in the country where you live?
I wouldn't necessarily say yes to that question because our case numbers are incredibly low in my part of Canada and a big part of that is people being sensible.

However, my stepdaughter recently returned to her retail job - a store chain that sells posh 'home' things - ornaments, rugs, vases, small furnishings etc.
Even on the second day they had a very long queue of people waiting to replace those coming out. While (almost) next door there was no queue for the supermarket.

Charitably, it's possible that many were from out of town - way out of town - because it's the best (or only) shop like it they can get to, whereas supermarkets have been open throughout. So maybe they travelled a long way.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the mood for an online fight So if Labour or the Lib/Dems or any other party had been in power they wouldn't have made any mistakes whatsoever?
Old Jun 6th 2020, 1:32 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
I am in the mood for an online fight So if Labour or the Lib/Dems or any other party had been in power they wouldn't have made any mistakes whatsoever?
Have you stopped beating your wife?
Old Jun 6th 2020, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Have you stopped beating your wife?
I don't have one though I don't see the relevance in that.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 2:04 pm
Resident Cynic

I don't have one though I don't see the relevance in that.
Really? It's the same type of no-win hypothetical question.

Are you really suggesting that valid complaints about the way a overnment has mishandled a situation are invalid if there is the poential that a different government would also have screwed up somewhere?
Old Jun 6th 2020, 2:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You're in the wrong thread. You want the one you posted in just now even though it appears to have become general virus topic rather than political
Old Jun 6th 2020, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Really? It's the same type of no-win hypothetical question.

Are you really suggesting that valid complaints about the way a overnment has mishandled a situation are invalid if there is the poential that a different government would also have screwed up somewhere?
Exactly my point its a no win situation. I agree you can be critical of the Govt for many things even if you voted for the party in power. Unfortunately just at the moment they are in power so until voted out they make the decisions good or bad. Now as an individual you can either choose to do what they say be it good or bad or make your own decisions as I assume you are an adult. Anyway lets leave it at that and move onto more important things as to what do I have for lunch?
Old Jun 6th 2020, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I am not surprised by the increase in R rate in the SW. Since the relaxation in lockdown coastal towns in the SW have been rammed, no social spacing on beaches, people urinating and defaecating in public, ignoring car parking restrictions and leaving cars everywhere they damn well like, leaving literally tonnes and tonnes of rubbish in their wake. We need travel bans in England like they have in Wales and Scotland.

Last week we had tourists from northern England down on the south coast, you are not telling me they came down for the day, they are staying overnight somewhere. Seriously just frigging go to Scarborough if you want the beach.

And while I am on it, why the bloody hell were people queuing for 3 hours to get into IKEA on the first day it opened. If there is a massive queue, go bloody home and wait a few weeks. Your shopping in IkEA is not critical.

What is wrong with people. Serious question? Are similar levels of stupidity being shown in the country where you live?
Your explanation for the Southwest is that you have beautiful beaches that people want to visit. But what explains the North West? Not exactly over-supplied with gorgeous beaches (unless you count Blackpool and Morecambe ). The Lake District is most certainly the gem of the North West ... are people flocking there too? Or is there another explanation for the North West? (I was born/raised up there (and spent my summer holidays in Morecambe!), so genuinely curious).

To answer your specific question about stupidity where I am now ... I walk past a particular bar/restaurant every night on my daily walk. The doors are closed because it's over 100F, and the place is packed inside - people having a jolly-old-time without a care in the world. Quite sad.

Last edited by Steerpike; Jun 6th 2020 at 6:47 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Your explanation for the Southwest is that you have beautiful beaches that people want to visit. But what explains the North West? Not exactly over-supplied with gorgeous beaches (unless you count Blackpool and Morecambe ). The Lake District is most certainly the gem of the North West ... are people flocking there too? Or is there another explanation for the North West? (I was born/raised up there (and spent my summer holidays in Morecambe!), so genuinely curious).

To answer your specific question about stupidity where I am now ... I walk past a particular bar/restaurant every night on my daily walk. The doors are closed because it's over 100F, and the place is packed inside - people having a jolly-old-time without a care in the world. Quite sad.
She's from Down Sarf and to boot she supports both Spurs and Bournemouth. The UK Beach Guide has 56 beaches listed in the North West of England and you didn't even mention Southport. I am pretty sure those living North West could attest that they are sick of them shandy drinking Southerners from invading our beautiful part of England even knowing we are over the R1 rating for the virus.
I will put it down to the Corona fatigue that everybody is facing and she just wants to vent her anger and frustration at somebody. Now if she said she was pissed off with those from Yorkshire I would be in complete agreement with her.
Just remember folks now is the time to love one another and stay safe.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 10:33 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post

The north west have had a higher incidence of COVID than most parts of the country for quite a few weeks whereas until the lockdown was relaxed the SW had the lowest rate of disease in the UK. Not sure why the NW has had such a problem? Possibly a higher incidence of underlying health conditions and/or more poverty? And of course both Liverpool and Manchester are both densely populated cities

And yes you are right, the flagrant disregard of the guidelines for social
spacing is very sad. Not sure about where you are but where I am a big part of the problem is that many people always look to blame the government or the police or the NHS or just about anyone else but themselves. For goodness sake we have the highest death rate in the world, we all need to take some personal responsibility for keeping to the rules and controlling this virus. Use some common sense, if you get to a beach and it is packed, GO HOME, and whatever you do don’t jump off the top of a huge bloody rock and need to be airlifted to hospital like some kind of enormous, selfish bell end.

So sorry not sure what is up with me today, but I am going to stop ranting and take myself off to bed now. Nighty night.

Old Jun 6th 2020, 10:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry not sure what is up with me today, but I am going to stop ranting and take myself off to bed now. Nighty night.
We all need to have a spray now and then about stuff that bothers us, hell, BE would go under if we didn't!

I hope you have a lovely, relaxing sleep
Old Jun 7th 2020, 12:57 am
Resident Cynic

Yay! My friend in London has been moved to a normal ward..... 10 weeks to the day since he was admitted to ICU.

Old Jun 7th 2020, 1:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yay! My friend in London has been moved to a normal ward..... 10 weeks to the day since he was admitted to ICU.
Woo Hoo...excellent news.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.