Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Jun 4th 2020, 6:49 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Has anyone been paying attention to the stock market ... ?

People are dying of a virus worldwide, there are riots in the streets, there's mass unemployment ... but the stock market is steadily climbing!
Winners and losers. Hotels and Airlines are trading lower, and stocks like Netflix and Amazon are soaring.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 8:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Masks mandatory on public transport in England from 15 June. It's a moving feast.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ort-in-england
Old Jun 4th 2020, 10:39 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

My friend in London has now eaten his first solid food - 2 yoghurts!

Not quite what he asked for.... his daughter said his first words to her were "I'm hungry" and what he wanted was Arroz de Cabidela (chicken in blood rice.... a Portuguese speciality). Then he changed that to pineapple and a banana (maybe they were flavoured yoghurts?!!)

I got my first picture of him today - hard to recognize with a full beard, but looking bright.
If all goes well he'll move to a normal ward in 2-3 days time - 10 weeks on Saturday since he was taken into ICU.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 10:55 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Masks mandatory on public transport in England from 15 June. It's a moving feast.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ort-in-england
And again, like the German advice, the requirement is for a face-covering, not one of the specification indicated for use as PPE.

Transport Secretary, Grant Schapps, said that travellers should wear the kind of face covering that could be made at home. They should cover the mouth and nose and can be as simple as a scarf or bandanna tied snugly behind the head.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 10:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post

Not quite what he asked for.... his daughter said his first words to her were "I'm hungry" and what he wanted was Arroz de Cabidela (chicken in blood rice.... a Portuguese speciality). Then he changed that to pineapple and a banana (maybe they were flavoured yoghurts?!!)

I got my first picture of him today - hard to recognize with a full beard, but looking bright.
If all goes well he'll move to a normal ward in 2-3 days time - 10 weeks on Saturday since he was taken into ICU.

Pretty impressive all round. Now that he's got going on the food, his digestive system will come back to life and he'll be into the bloody rice in no time.

You must be very relieved.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

BC released some new data today, some they had not released before.

They also released cases broken down by more specific regions today, the city with the highest population of Chinese (55% of Richmond, BC are Chinese) has the fewest cases.

I think they released this info in part to try and reduce the racial issues being directed at the local Chinese population.

They announced 9 new cases today, 0 deaths, and 4 of the 9 announced today have recovered but not previously announced.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...un-4-1.5585756

Seems men are more likely to be hospitalized, end up in ICU and dead.

30 and 60 account for the majority of infections but those over 70 are most likely to die.

If our curve remains flat, they may permit travel within BC in late June to early July. (not really a ban on travel, just highly discouraged.)

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jun 5th 2020 at 1:15 am.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
BC released some new data today, some they had not released before.

They also released cases broken down by more specific regions today, the city with the highest population of Chinese (55% of Richmond, BC are Chinese) has the fewest cases.

I think they released this info in part to try and reduce the racial issues being directed at the local Chinese population.

They announced 9 new cases today, 0 deaths, and 4 of the 9 announced today have recovered but not previously announced.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...un-4-1.5585756

Seems men are more likely to be hospitalized, end up in ICU and dead.

30 and 60 account for the majority of infections but those over 70 are most likely to die.

If our curve remains flat, they may permit travel within BC in late June to early July. (not really a ban on travel, just highly discouraged.)
Is the caption on the second chart wrong or am I missing something? It says "... and deaths by age ..." but seems to be entirely about sex (M/F).

Regarding the first chart ... I've been hearing some references to different 'strains' of the virus, and that the one on the west coast of US/Canada is less 'damaging' than the one on the east coast. Didn't hear much more about it.

Last edited by Steerpike; Jun 5th 2020 at 1:31 am.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

What's his 'toilet' situation right now - can he get himself to a toilet? They probably don't want the consequences of a failed attempt to make it to the loo after 'Arroz de Cabidela'
Old Jun 5th 2020, 1:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

What fantastic news Macliam I'm glad he didn't get his food preference though, 'chicken in blood rice' sounds - actually, I can't even think of a word to use for how it sounds! But I'm sure the yoghurts did him the world of good. I'm so pleased for you, we know how worried you've been.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 1:46 am
Concierge

'Arroz de Cabidela'
Put me right off me cornflakes, that did.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 3:27 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Pretty impressive all round. Now that he's got going on the food, his digestive system will come back to life and he'll be into the bloody rice in no time.

You must be very relieved.
Still a bit concerned..... he'll be open to all those infections you read about - I'll be happy when he's out!
What's his 'toilet' situation right now - can he get himself to a toilet? They probably don't want the consequences of a failed attempt to make it to the loo after 'Arroz de Cabidela'
I don't think he's likely to get his wish whilst he's in hospital....... it was just funny that not only was he hungry, but he knew exactly what he wanted. He's actually the master of Gambas with piri-piri... but you gave to rescue your portion early because he has an asbestos digestion. This is a man who complains that Tabasco is too mild!!
What fantastic news Macliam I'm glad he didn't get his food preference though, 'chicken in blood rice' sounds - actually, I can't even think of a word to use for how it sounds! But I'm sure the yoghurts did him the world of good. I'm so pleased for you, we know how worried you've been.
Put me right off me cornflakes, that did.
Arroz de Cabidela is delicious, SWMBOs step-mother made it often.... but that was in the country with her own chickens (or a rooster on special occasions). Just to make it worse, I prefer the rice to the meat.... it has a rich, spicy, vinegary taste. I have no problem with blood - but if you don't like black pudding, forget it!!

Old Jun 5th 2020, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Is the caption on the second chart wrong or am I missing something? It says "... and deaths by age ..." but seems to be entirely about sex (M/F).

Regarding the first chart ... I've been hearing some references to different 'strains' of the virus, and that the one on the west coast of US/Canada is less 'damaging' than the one on the east coast. Didn't hear much more about it.

I didn't notice that, it might be a typo, CBC hasn't changed it yet, but I will keep an eye on the article for updates to see if they do.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We are almost 3 weeks into partial reopening and places like restaurants have been allowed to open at 50% capacity. Problem restaurants are seeing, people are not coming in to dine as in the lack of tourists and big events, and some industry experts are estimating 50% or more of the city's restaurants could go out of business.

The Chinese food place I went to from time to time, one of the only I actually liked, seems to have closed. Their sign is down and a for lease sign is in the window, and I have seen in our area a pretty good increase in for lease signs popping up, so seems some small businesses are giving up.

Old Jun 5th 2020, 11:57 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Masks

The topic is back in the guardian today.
This week, the Lancet published the most comprehensive paper to date on the subject, a systematic review of 172 studies looking at the role of physical distancing measures, face masks, and eye protection to prevent transmission.
Oh good.
It found weak support for the use of face coverings, with the risk of infection or transmission when wearing a mask being estimated at 3% versus 17% when not wearing a mask.
What? Weak support with a difference of 3 and 17? A couple of weeks ago, and I can't recall the details exactly, there were headlines about diabetics being twice as likely to die if infected and type 1 twice as likely again. It was something like 1% ordinarily. 2% for diabetes type 2 and 4% for type 1.

In non-coronavirus matters, it's quite common to read that death rates are higher with X condition and the example will say something like "X kills 2% of patients and 3% if they already have chronic Y condition.

Now obviously infection doesn't mean death but unless I'm reading this completely wrong - and someone brighter than me can advise - but if this means a 17% chance of infection with no mask and 3% with one - in an identical situation - that's a big difference that is way bigger a difference than the other ones that get headline news. Weak support?

Now it does go on to say
Evidence in the study was looking mainly at mask use within households, rather than on public transport, and the authors note that the certainty of the evidence is low and other measures, such as physical distancing, are by far the most effective at reducing the spread of coronavirus.
Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the advice about mask wearing come with the rider about situations where distancing is not possible?

"I'm going to wear a mask where it's not possible to physically distance."
"You know that physical distancing is a better idea don't you?"

And within households rather than on public transport. Well, yes, it's public transport where the distancing is less likely possible and even where it is, you are still dependent on other people and unexpected movements.

But households - isn't that very similar to many work situations? Work is probably worse given the initial encouragement not to go.

So the advice to wear one in situations where you cannot control distancing (so easily) sounds pretty good if your 3% chance of infection increases at least fivefold without.

"The most comprehensive paper to date" is what it says. Or best available?
Old Jun 5th 2020, 12:06 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We just had our first death in my province. We only had 120 cases, every one of them recovered. More than two weeks with no new cases, then a case and then another two weeks with none again.

Then the good doctor decides to travel to a badly affected province, fails to self isolate when he gets back, goes to work as usual, sees 150 or so patients and work colleagues and the super spreader is responsible for 15 cases, the majority of whom are residents and staff of one care home that included either patients or staff the doc was a contact of. That bit's secret.

And one of them died.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.