Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old Jun 3rd 2020, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Today's COVID in BC isn't looking too bad. Only 4 new cases, no deaths, and total active cases is down to 207. Health Minister and Health Officer acknowledged the importance in speaking out against hate, but reminded the public that large public gatherings increase the risk of the virus spreading. The comments are in reference to the large gatherings/protests over the weekend in regards to the issue in the US, and asking those who attended to watch for symptoms or even self isolate for 14 days.

Old Jun 3rd 2020, 7:57 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
The amount of rubbish the day trippers left behind was staggering. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-52890608
Bournemouth Council are campaigning to get travel bans put in place to try and stop any repetition of last weekend when thousands travelled to Bournemouth to sit on beaches.

The weather has turned today, back to more of an English summer, a bit of rain and temps in high teens instead of high 20’s, that will help but I was shocked at the amount of stupidity I saw over the weekend, up to now people had been generally compliant and sensible.

The UK now has the worst official death rate in the world
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 3:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

First it was a risk, now it's a treatment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52894638

Well that's cleared that up then.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 3:35 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
First it was a risk, now it's a treatment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52894638

Well that's cleared that up then.
I wouldn't like to be the one that has to write the Covid-19 rule book when this is all over
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 3:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I wouldn't like to be the one that has to write the Covid-19 rule book when this is all over

Seriously not.

I don't blame people for not knowing these things, it's a new virus to our species. But it does serve to remind us how complacent we have all got regarding illnesses etc. For people as recent as my parents' generation, they would die of all sorts of things that we don't die of now because they didn't have the antibiotics that we do.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 3:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Seriously not.

I don't blame people for not knowing these things, it's a new virus to our species. But it does serve to remind us how complacent we have all got regarding illnesses etc. For people as recent as my parents' generation, they would die of all sorts of things that we don't die of now because they didn't have the antibiotics that we do.
Absolutely.

I've read a couple of articles regarding the future health problems that may be experienced by those who've been very ill with the virus, particularly those who needed to be ventilated. I've stopped reading them now, it's too new for any definitive information and I find to too easy to overload with with the maybe, might and perhaps.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Absolutely.

I've read a couple of articles regarding the future health problems that may be experienced by those who've been very ill with the virus, particularly those who needed to be ventilated. I've stopped reading them now, it's too new for any definitive information and I find to too easy to overload with with the maybe, might and perhaps.
Yes, I think I'll wait until the dust has settled a bit for that. Priorities are elsewhere for me.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Canada to require airline workers and airport workers to wear masks. Pilots when in the flight deck are excluded from the mandate.

I cannot imagine being on a long haul flight having to wear a mask during the entire 10+ hours, even 2-3 hour flight would be unpleasant with a mask.

Article here
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Question for US residents ... I saw this page for Arizona on one of the more well-known statistics sites -
https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...merica/arizona
on this page, it shows AZ 'Daily Deaths' peaking around July 8, and shows hospital utilization similarly peaking circa July 8.

No other state I can find in the nation is showing this 'late surge'; every other state has either seen it's peak already, or is experiencing it now. Further, a map on the site shows AZ as having really bad numbers in the future, relative to all its neighbors:

Now, this particular site has had 'data' problems in the past (which were discussed on this site weeks ago) so this maybe a case of a bad data load, which will soon be corrected. But I also happened to click through this page, which also showed AZ as not peaking until June/July, and no other state seems to show that type of data profile.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/heal...cid=spartanntp

This paints a very grim picture of AZ, but I'm not seeing any significant chatter in the local papers about this, nor nationally. I would expect AZ to feature as a 'problem child' on all sorts of media outlets if this were to be true.

So anyway - just wondered if anyone else has heard about this phenomenon and has more background. I'm still hanging out in AZ, but have the option to skip town over to CA if things get bad here, and that's what I will do if these projections are well-founded. I haven't gone through 10 weeks of extreme isolation just to see my efforts wiped out by the stupidity of others!
I posted the above on May 27. Took another look today and things have changed. Colorado is now showing as the 'bad boy of the west', and California is looking less well. So these are obviously dynamic projections. Trouble is, I can't find any explanation as to 'why' these changes are occurring.

The map seen above is now:

Note how Colorado has become the darkest (worst), CA a little darker, etc. Still looking for the background to these numbers ...
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I posted the above on May 27. Took another look today and things have changed. Colorado is now showing as the 'bad boy of the west', and California is looking less well. So these are obviously dynamic projections. Trouble is, I can't find any explanation as to 'why' these changes are occurring.

The map seen above is now:

Note how Colorado has become the darkest (worst), CA a little darker, etc. Still looking for the background to these numbers ...

That map which shows Colorado is a good example of how misleading this all is, a relatively tiny area of Colorado is impacted, the rest of the State is not really impacted..
Old Jun 4th 2020, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
That map which shows Colorado is a good example of how misleading this all is, a relatively tiny area of Colorado is impacted, the rest of the State is not really impacted..
I think most people know how to look at a map like this and understand the concept that the 'color' is an average for the state. It's no different from CA - almost all the 'activity' is clustered in LA, Bay Area, and San Diego. For Arizona, it's clustered around Phoenix, with a bit in Tucson. For Nevada, it's clustered around Las Vegas with some activity in Reno ... and so on.

If the map were to show 'income by state', or 'smokers by state', etc, it would be the exact same thing.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Has anyone been paying attention to the stock market ... ?

People are dying of a virus worldwide, there are riots in the streets, there's mass unemployment ... but the stock market is steadily climbing!

I've been quite open about the fact that I'm terribly exposed, financially, having almost all my retirement money in the stock market. At the worst point, in March (circa March 20) I had lost 23% of my money relative to Jan 1. Right now, I'm down 4%. This really makes no sense to me!. This is the Dow for the year so far:

Last edited by Steerpike; Jun 4th 2020 at 2:20 am.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We had a jump in cases Wed, 22 new cases announced Wed. 21 of the 22 new cases are in Fraser Health Region. 1 new death.

32 in hospital with 7 in ICU, I believe this is up a couple of people.

Once again Health Officer and Minister of Health reminded people that while protesting is an important right, that physical distancing rules still apply as so social distancing rules in grocery stores and elsewhere, people are getting very lax in distancing and stores are doing less and less enforcing distancing in their stores.

No mention in going to phase 3 in today's announcement, they were aiming for mid June, but its all dependent if cases remain stable.

This BC man spent 54 days in hospitals because of COVID, he did have a heart condition which complicated things, internal bleeding was one complication he had, was also in and out of ICU over the 54 days. No visitors allowed and sounds like largely little human interaction during his stay. Keep in mind typically BC hospital rooms do not have TV's like US hospitals, some hospitals have little mini TV's you can rent at a fairly high cost per day but of course some can't afford such a luxury.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ivor-1.5595954

Old Jun 4th 2020, 10:02 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post

This BC man spent 54 days in hospitals because of COVID, he did have a heart condition which complicated things, internal bleeding was one complication he had, was also in and out of ICU over the 54 days. No visitors allowed and sounds like largely little human interaction during his stay. Keep in mind typically BC hospital rooms do not have TV's like US hospitals, some hospitals have little mini TV's you can rent at a fairly high cost per day but of course some can't afford such a luxury.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ivor-1.5595954
Amazing story, amazing man! What an ordeal he went through.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Some economists in Canada are warning of a slow recovery related to COVID job losses, and to expect unemployment to rise to 16% which would be closer to 32% due to how the government defines unemployed.

I don't see how a fast recovery is possible, especially here in BC. Too many jobs rely on directly or indirectly international tourism which isn't happening this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.