Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old May 31st 2020, 6:47 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Plenty of crowding in London on the George Floyd BLM march today as well - they are marching for black lives, yet the potentially resultant spike in covid will likely impact BAME much more. I guess around 50% mask wearing by the looking of the walking video around 1.15.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a4455596.html
Old May 31st 2020, 7:08 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Plenty of crowding in London on the George Floyd BLM march today as well - they are marching for black lives, yet the potentially resultant spike in covid will likely impact BAME much more. I guess around 50% mask wearing by the looking of the walking video around 1.15.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a4455596.html
Well, it's another excuse for a walk in the sun...... and then they can all drop off in the park on the way home.
Old May 31st 2020, 7:14 pm
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
The source of the hospital cases was found to be a staff accommodation building within the hospital grounds - not from tourists.
Must have actually been brought from somewhere and judging by the multiple pictures in the papers of the overcrowding on the promenade there recently around the 25th May and the definite flouting of social distancing then I expect it will spike again shortly
Old May 31st 2020, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Well, it's another excuse for a walk in the sun...... and then they can all drop off in the park on the way home.
And the possibility of a trip to an ICU or morgue in several days.
Old May 31st 2020, 7:18 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
I bitched (breaking news ) possibly on FB the first weekend of Social distancing that the term was stupid because people saw social and missed distancing. Nothing has changed. I have a volunteer who doesn't understand the term personal space, let alone SD. I spend my life stepping backwards when I'm in the same room as her.
You sure did.

I'm concerned that WA still has a couple of hundred cases a day. 26 counties have been allowed to move to Phase 2 and a few more are moving to a "modified Phase 1", including King. People are getting in their cars and out to different counties. Let's see what that does to the stats.

Reading the mask surveys with interest. We've got two sets - neither medical grade but at the time we couldn't get those. Both are a simple, reusable, washable cotton jersey - one was 10 for $20 on Amazon, the other 10 for $15 at Target. We've been wearing them everywhere we go for a few weeks now. We're supplementing with stretchy buffs if we feel the need but it's getting warm here and I am struggling a bit. I'm slightly asthmatic (and overweight) and these hills are steep - I'm OK walking down them but coming back up I can struggle to catch my breath! I also have really sensitive skin which is getting irritated. I have some more structured ones on order now but nothing is being delivered promptly.
Old May 31st 2020, 7:40 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
And the possibility of a trip to an ICU or morgue in several days.
No, no, no - they're young, so "bulletproof".

I wonder if any travelled down from Durham?
Old May 31st 2020, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kooky. View Post
You sure did.

I'm concerned that WA still has a couple of hundred cases a day. 26 counties have been allowed to move to Phase 2 and a few more are moving to a "modified Phase 1", including King. People are getting in their cars and out to different counties. Let's see what that does to the stats.

Reading the mask surveys with interest. We've got two sets - neither medical grade but at the time we couldn't get those. Both are a simple, reusable, washable cotton jersey - one was 10 for $20 on Amazon, the other 10 for $15 at Target. We've been wearing them everywhere we go for a few weeks now. We're supplementing with stretchy buffs if we feel the need but it's getting warm here and I am struggling a bit. I'm slightly asthmatic (and overweight) and these hills are steep - I'm OK walking down them but coming back up I can struggle to catch my breath! I also have really sensitive skin which is getting irritated. I have some more structured ones on order now but nothing is being delivered promptly.
These were the three masks I bought Friday:

Left is cloth / reusable, washable; middle and right are some form of paper, and disposable, but reusable to some degree (but not washable).

The cloth one is the most comfortable, but it's as loose as hell - big gaps down the side, somewhat like the surgical/disposable I posted earlier today. The other two are remarkably good. The middle one fit well, but ... the metal 'form' at the top which is supposed to shape around your nose bridge snapped on first use! The one on the right, which came in the least fancy packaging has turned out to be the 'best' - from a 'probable effectiveness' perspective. See below - the one on the right above is now on the left below, while the one in the center above is now on the right below. When I put the left hand one on, it fits up against my face very snugly all round, and when I breath in 'hard', I can feel the mask deforming ... suggesting a good airtight fit. The 'KN95' designation is probably a way to imply N95 (which means something) without actually getting sued ... maybe.

So I'm going to try wearing the one on the left for a few more outings ... I plan to head to Costco first thing tomorrow.

UPDATE - here's the cloth vs the paper, in use:

PS - these were all annoyingly expensive; the 'paper' guys were $10 for 2, which means treating them as disposable is not a cheap proposition. I think the cloth guy was $9 for 1, but may have been more ... Note - these are 'retail store' (Ace Hardware) prices, so much more expensive than Amazon/online/etc - but - a bird in the hand ... and all that...

Last edited by Steerpike; May 31st 2020 at 8:13 pm.
Old May 31st 2020, 8:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
So I'm going to try wearing the one on the left for a few more outings ... I plan to head to Costco first thing tomorrow.
That sounds like going out to test masks. I understand eye tests are an acceptable reason for going out but mask testing?
Old May 31st 2020, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
That sounds like going out to test masks. I understand eye tests are an acceptable reason for going out but mask testing?
No, I'll be combining the necessary visit to Costco with the useful test of the mask!
Old May 31st 2020, 8:19 pm
Resident Cynic

These were the three masks I bought Friday:

Left is cloth / reusable, washable; middle and right are some form of paper, and disposable, but reusable to some degree (but not washable).

The cloth one is the most comfortable, but it's as loose as hell - big gaps down the side, somewhat like the surgical/disposable I posted earlier today. The other two are remarkably good. The middle one fit well, but ... the metal 'form' at the top which is supposed to shape around your nose bridge snapped on first use! The one on the right, which came in the least fancy packaging has turned out to be the 'best' - from a 'probable effectiveness' perspective. See below - the one on the right above is now on the left below, while the one in the center above is now on the right below. When I put the left hand one on, it fits up against my face very snugly all round, and when I breath in 'hard', I can feel the mask deforming ... suggesting a good airtight fit. The 'KN95' designation is probably a way to imply N95 (which means something) without actually getting sued ... maybe.
The KN95 is an accepted standard "KN95 masks are regulated by the Chinese government under regulation GB2626-2006 and are rated to filter 95% of particles. In April of 2020, in order to help expand the availability of general use face masks for the general public and particulate filtering facepiece respirators for healthcare professionals during the COVID-19 pandemic, the FDA issued guidance authorizing the use of KN95 masks as suitable NIOSH alternatives under certain emergency circumstances" (https://accumed.com/blog/kn95-mask-vs-n95-mask/)

The real question is whether the masks are actually to the stated standard or just knock-offs. The cloth one looks just about useless (I'll not start another row about the one I was sent, but it makes an impressively tight fit - although half the time I put it on upside-down before realising that the nose-crimper is under my chin). Any of these are better than the ones I've seen umpteen times when out..... where the user positions them to cover the chin and mouth, but leaves the nose uncovered. That's class, right there.
Old May 31st 2020, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
The KN95 is an accepted standard "KN95 masks are regulated by the Chinese government under regulation GB2626-2006 and are rated to filter 95% of particles. In April of 2020, in order to help expand the availability of general use face masks for the general public and particulate filtering facepiece respirators for healthcare professionals during the COVID-19 pandemic, the FDA issued guidance authorizing the use of KN95 masks as suitable NIOSH alternatives under certain emergency circumstances" (https://accumed.com/blog/kn95-mask-vs-n95-mask/)

The real question is whether the masks are actually to the stated standard or just knock-offs. The cloth one looks just about useless (I'll not start another row about the one I was sent, but it makes an impressively tight fit - although half the time I put it on upside-down before realising that the nose-crimper is under my chin). Any of these are better than the ones I've seen umpteen times when out..... where the user positions them to cover the chin and mouth, but leaves the nose uncovered. That's class, right there.
Thanks for the link. This is the interesting part for me, having tried both N95 and KN95:
"Other differences between N95 masks vs KN95 masks are that KN95 masks often use the earloop method of wearing the respirator whereas the N95 masks use a two head-strap attachments, one that goes around the back of the head under the ears and another that goes on the top over the crown of the head above the ears. It really comes down to personal preference in terms of which one is more comfortable for the wearer as well as the level of safety and protection one feels is necessary given the particular activity being carried out.

Personally, I find that the KN95 is easier and faster to put on and take off whereas the N95 seems to fit much more snug and with a tighter and firmer fit. Further, I find that the N95 masks, due to the tightness of the seal, are slightly more uncomfortable to wear, but give a feeling of greater protection. Another factor to consider is that NIOSH approved N95 masks tend to be a little pricier than the KN95/FFP2 variants."

In my case, the N95 was way too tight /snug and almost impossible to put on - getting the lower elastic band over the head was very difficult; the KN95 by comparison was much easier but still gave what felt like a good seal. But - if I thought I was going into a really dangerous area, I might struggle with the N95 as it was tighter than hell!

I tried the KN95 yesterday for the first time 'out and about' and it was just about bearable. I'll give it another whirl tomorrow on my Costco run.
Old May 31st 2020, 10:51 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link. This is the interesting part for me, having tried both N95 and KN95:
"Other differences between N95 masks vs KN95 masks are that KN95 masks often use the earloop method of wearing the respirator whereas the N95 masks use a two head-strap attachments, one that goes around the back of the head under the ears and another that goes on the top over the crown of the head above the ears. It really comes down to personal preference in terms of which one is more comfortable for the wearer as well as the level of safety and protection one feels is necessary given the particular activity being carried out.

Personally, I find that the KN95 is easier and faster to put on and take off whereas the N95 seems to fit much more snug and with a tighter and firmer fit. Further, I find that the N95 masks, due to the tightness of the seal, are slightly more uncomfortable to wear, but give a feeling of greater protection. Another factor to consider is that NIOSH approved N95 masks tend to be a little pricier than the KN95/FFP2 variants."

In my case, the N95 was way too tight /snug and almost impossible to put on - getting the lower elastic band over the head was very difficult; the KN95 by comparison was much easier but still gave what felt like a good seal. But - if I thought I was going into a really dangerous area, I might struggle with the N95 as it was tighter than hell!

I tried the KN95 yesterday for the first time 'out and about' and it was just about bearable. I'll give it another whirl tomorrow on my Costco run.
That might just be your version of the N95 - mine are fine to put on and not too tight. Give the elastic a tug.
Old May 31st 2020, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I posted upthread that I bought several masks to try them out. I'm still trying them (don't go out every day) but I can tell you that there's a wide range of 'impact on the wearer' (and probably a corresponding negative correlation to 'effectiveness'). The 'disposable' / 'surgical' type is easy to wear, doesn't impact breathing that much, and overall not a bad option from a 'comfort' perspective. Yesterday I wore one that was much more restrictive on my breathing, caused some irritation on my skin, and felt 'hot' (though it was 106F outside ). But I'm sure that one did a much better job of stopping small particles getting in and out. The real 'N95' mask I tried on a week ago was so uncomfortable that I'll never wear it unless I find myself having to go into a 'hospital' environment, or other 'likely infected' area.
Disposable / 'surgical' - (easy to wear):
The above is similiar to what we have, I hated it, was constantly touching my face trying to adjust it, but I think they are too small for my face..ha ha

I have a cloth mask ordered (no idea when it will arrive) the maker says they are cooler, and comfortable to wear so I will see, and it will be more affordable/easier to find a reusable mask.

One thing I have noticed as more wear masks, people are less likely to keep distance especially when shopping, the grocery store yesterday was basically like normal times, couldn't social distance if you tried.

The government here has never mandated use of masks and have made it clear its a personal choice and for us to respect the choices of either wearing or not wearing one.

I see more face shields on people now, but dunno if a face shield is effective. But the workers in the medical lab are wearing these now vs masks. Similar to the photo. I needed to go to the bank Friday, they are doing the opposite, they have someone at the door asking people to remove their mask, but makes sense, banks + face covered isn't something banks like, but they do have acrylic up for the tellers and restricting how many can be inside at one time.

Last edited by Jsmth321; May 31st 2020 at 11:24 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
That might just be your version of the N95 - mine are fine to put on and not too tight. Give the elastic a tug.
The elastic is very 'tight'. My guess is, either poor manufacturing practices, or, the elastic has aged ... these have been in my possession for a long time! I think I found them in my 'paint' box, and that hasn't been used in 5, 10 years! I'll see if I can't 'extend' the elastic with an extra bit of elastic or string, OR, preferably, fashion some sort of Velcro tie in the line. I love tinkering like this . A stretchy bit of fabric with a bit of Velcro on the end would work wonders!
Old Jun 1st 2020, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if we will see an increase in 7-10 days.

Today in Vancouver

What was said May 30, 2020

Large gatherings, we know, are still a significant risk for transmission of COVID-19
  • Dr Bonnie Henry, May 30th, 2020

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.