Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

CORONAVIRUS PART II

CORONAVIRUS PART II

Old May 30th 2020, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CORONAVIRUS PART II

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Pretty much how it went here. I don't like our Premier but he's effectively accepted the expertise offered and acted on it. Our Chief Medical Officer has become 'the face' just as the CMO did (but a different one) back in the days of H1N1.

We had 2 weeks of no new cases, broken by one or two and then another two weeks of none, by which time our 120 total cases had become 120 recovered and no active cases.

Now we're all mad because a doctor in the North of the province went to Quebec, apparently misleading the border checkpoint cops upon return, didn't isolate and then worked at the hospital (and care homes) for two weeks potentially exposing patients and staff.

He is single-handedly responsible for what is now 8 active cases, including his son (possibly wife if 2 + 2 =4) and 2 in ICU.

It would be no active cases, no deaths, 100% recovery. But it's not, thanks to Doctor Cretin.

I don't expect we will ever get to 0 here anytime soon, but keeping the cases as low as possible is the name of the game, we go up and down a bit day to day, but not crazy high.

today they have 11 new cases, and 2nd day in a row nobody has died.

ICU patients down to 5, and total patients in hospital 35

I guess we are 2 weeks into phase 2 reopening and as cases have not increased significantly, schools will reopen Monday (not sure why considering its June now, and last day of school is in like what 3 weeks..lol)

Overnight camps for youths however wont be allowed this summer.

Of 2,573 total cases only 77 occurred in people under 19. (19 is age of adulthood in BC, those under 19 are considered youths.)

there is no foreseeable plan to increase the guidelines on social gatherings of two to six people.

Of course Canada has extended its cruise ship ban through end of October, which will cost the province upwards of $900 million in lost economic benefits, probably more in the end since all the sectors that indirectly benefit as well will see significant decreases in revenue/business.

I do not see a quick recovery here in BC, tourism just makes up too much of our economy and too many jobs rely on it both directly and indirectly.

Jobs are so scarce right now, and most of whats being put on job banks are semi-skilled and skilled, people can't find jobs when there is nothing to apply for, I called a temp agency Thursday, they have 1 employer looking to fill 1 position, the lady said they had to lay off 90% of their own employees, its pretty ugly out there if you need a job, I suspect evictions once the stay on them is lifted will increase substantially this year. Once the stay is lifted, tenants will have 5 days to pay past due rent or face eviction.

Last edited by Jsmth321; May 30th 2020 at 11:47 pm.
Old May 31st 2020, 12:33 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Time for all sensible people to ramp up their personal social distancing and isolation, I should think. Unless they have to work not-from-home, of course.
I still don't understand why its called social distancing. Its not social, its completely anti-social.
Surely "physical distancing" is more accurate?
Old May 31st 2020, 12:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
I still don't understand why its called social distancing. Its not social, its completely anti-social.
I think the term's meant to convey distancing in a social setting but you're right, it's a bit ambiguous. Physical distancing is more direct for sure.
Old May 31st 2020, 1:40 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Within a week of "social distancing" someone suggested that physical distancing should be the description instead and for a couple of days I saw it a lot.

Then it was quickly forgotten and it became social again. A bit like how many have reverted back to global warming rather than climate change.
Old May 31st 2020, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Time for all sensible people to ramp up their personal social distancing and isolation, I should think. Unless they have to work not-from-home, of course.
This is the part I don't like, now. I've been very careful for a long time but last night I heard wild partying going on somewhere in the neighborhood. I think the 'young uns' have been isolated well past their hormonal limits, and now they are making up for it. So whereas before, I could go to the store and be reasonably confident my fellow shoppers are possibly 'ok', now I can imagine they were out frolicking the night before with who knows who ...

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
I think the term's meant to convey distancing in a social setting but you're right, it's a bit ambiguous. Physical distancing is more direct for sure.
I agree - distancing of a social nature.
Old May 31st 2020, 3:18 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
As we are supposed to stay a great distance away from people at work, in shops, on buses etc, the "social" bit just doesn't fit. Its not just social situations, is it, its every area of life.
Old May 31st 2020, 4:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As we are supposed to stay a great distance away from people at work, in shops, on buses etc, the "social" bit just doesn't fit. Its not just social situations, is it, its every area of life.
I bitched (breaking news ) possibly on FB the first weekend of Social distancing that the term was stupid because people saw social and missed distancing. Nothing has changed. I have a volunteer who doesn't understand the term personal space, let alone SD. I spend my life stepping backwards when I'm in the same room as her.
Old May 31st 2020, 5:44 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I agree. I didn't make the slogan up! I was just guessing at what the brilliant mind behind it was trying to convey. If you want a slogan that's fit for purpose, never ask the government.
Old May 31st 2020, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I wore a mask today when we did a grocery store visit, I have learned I hate masks and the feeling of not being able to breathe and the heat from exhaled breath, but I also noticed I was constantly touching my face trying to adjust the mask, pulling it down to get cooler air, I really tried not to touch my face and the mask, but before I realized it, I was again adjusting it trying to get it comfortable.

I know do know at least I will not be flying anytime soon, no way I could wear a mask on hours long flights.

I do wonder if my chronic congestion and semi stuffy nose makes it harder to breathe, I do most of breathing through my mouth.
Old May 31st 2020, 4:54 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

So 2 morons decided to jump off the top of Durdle Door into the sea, yesterday (which is local to me). Paramedics, the coastguard and Dorset Police all had to attend, the beach had to be cleared so 2 helicopters could land and take each twat to hospital as one hit rocks and the other apparently was seriously ill. I bet they weren't even locals but probably day trippers from the land of thick.I despair!
Old May 31st 2020, 5:39 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
So 2 morons decided to jump off the top of Durdle Door into the sea, yesterday (which is local to me). Paramedics, the coastguard and Dorset Police all had to attend, the beach had to be cleared so 2 helicopters could land and take each twat to hospital as one hit rocks and the other apparently was seriously ill. I bet they weren't even locals but probably day trippers from the land of thick.I despair!
See post #2426

Old May 31st 2020, 5:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I wore a mask today when we did a grocery store visit, I have learned I hate masks and the feeling of not being able to breathe and the heat from exhaled breath, but I also noticed I was constantly touching my face trying to adjust the mask, pulling it down to get cooler air, I really tried not to touch my face and the mask, but before I realized it, I was again adjusting it trying to get it comfortable.

I know do know at least I will not be flying anytime soon, no way I could wear a mask on hours long flights.

I do wonder if my chronic congestion and semi stuffy nose makes it harder to breathe, I do most of breathing through my mouth.
I posted upthread that I bought several masks to try them out. I'm still trying them (don't go out every day) but I can tell you that there's a wide range of 'impact on the wearer' (and probably a corresponding negative correlation to 'effectiveness'). The 'disposable' / 'surgical' type is easy to wear, doesn't impact breathing that much, and overall not a bad option from a 'comfort' perspective. Yesterday I wore one that was much more restrictive on my breathing, caused some irritation on my skin, and felt 'hot' (though it was 106F outside ). But I'm sure that one did a much better job of stopping small particles getting in and out. The real 'N95' mask I tried on a week ago was so uncomfortable that I'll never wear it unless I find myself having to go into a 'hospital' environment, or other 'likely infected' area.
Disposable / 'surgical' - (easy to wear):

Old May 31st 2020, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
See post #2426

That is intense crowding. I wonder if they were offered the option to leave. That's crazy.
Old May 31st 2020, 5:57 pm
Banned

thegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond reputethegolfer has a reputation beyond repute

Idiots, but all those people crammed together as a result could be disastrous.. But similar problems at many beaches over the recent weeks, especially Weston S Mare which has lead to big spike in Covid19 infections, and closing of the Hospital.
Old May 31st 2020, 6:43 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thegolfer View Post
Idiots, but all those people crammed together as a result could be disastrous.. But similar problems at many beaches over the recent weeks, especially Weston S Mare which has lead to big spike in Covid19 infections, and closing of the Hospital.
The source of the hospital cases was found to be a staff accommodation building within the hospital grounds - not from tourists.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.