Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 15th 2020, 7:28 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Mummy is being a ****ing idiot.
Concerned. Unfortunately she's not going to be steamrolled and stopped. I'll try again later.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 7:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Scamp I do hope your mum sees sense and returns home.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 7:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I passed by my local Fry's (Kroger) around 7pm tonight (Sat). No potatoes; no rice; no pasta! There were a few packs of 'instant' rice - 'ready in 90 seconds' - Basmati. I actually bought some because I feel like eating Indian ... but not one bag of 'normal' uncooked rice. There were people wandering the aisles with shocked looks on their faces! Also, bananas were gone (but there were still apples and oranges). Canned veg and canned fruits also seemed to be gone. Yesterday I was at my local 'Sprouts' and everything seemed quite normal (other than no paper products) ... so this is the first I've seen of 'food' being an issue. Nuts!
Old Mar 15th 2020, 8:30 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
You can have ours, I don't want it.
the yanks are ahead of the game on this, you should be happy. NZ just put a travel ban without 14 day isolation into force. Italy is a shining light in the world the way I see it, lock down, all mortgages and household bills suspended for the duration if their isolation. That takes the entire reason for people to carry on regardless away.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 8:52 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Concerned. Unfortunately she's not going to be steamrolled and stopped. I'll try again later.
She is of the certain age that many of us are. She has been through a dreadful C experience that has no real certain outcome long term ( and I am not trying to do you head in on this) so I suppose she is thinking to live her life right now and "in the now" , as the new modern way of talking goes. To live for the day , not the outcome.

I am torn on this big-time & when I say this please remember that my Mum was disabled through rheumatoid arthritis for decades and who died age younger than I am now. I am not being blase about your Mum. My Mum wanted to get out there and live a life in the sunlight not in the twilight.

Logically: She is already with you having already made an international flight which right now , for whatever anyone says, is Russian roulette in my book. Returning to the UK is also the same % level of risk . Better to have not travelled and to self isolate BUT she has already lived & faced an uncertain life and wants to live her life. It is hard to explain but when faced with mortality it can be hard to adopt a submissive passive attitude rather than stretch right out and grab the day(s). ----> says the person that canx a long awaited UK trip & has a good month of emergency stuff as lives in a quake zone = irony.

If one listens to BoJo, then really, there will be a triage pecking order . Heck, all countries may well have to apply this. Is she NHS or private? What does she gain by returning to the UK. You will feel she is 'safe' in her motherland. However she already knows life is not safe.

I read the NZ Travelsafe regarding travelling to Thailand from New Zealand. Having written the above and if this were me , age 65, I would not make that journey to Thailand. Not from fear of the virus -- and I have donned my zoot suit ,mask and gloves to protect myself as I write the .... joking on that . I have come to realise I am a tough oldish bird -- but because of the way the country would handle issues given there is already unrest in some quarters. Thailand is not a country for the faint hearted. It has a very different approach and culture. Your Mum may already know this though. Sri Lanka / Bali may be better.

I wouldn't want your Mum to miss her retreat with her daughter. It is special. Equally I wouldn't want your Mum to place herself in un-necessary peril. She is your Mum and she needs to remember that for you she is an everything person. Beyond special. Your one and only Mum. If she goes then it will be with your blessing of course but is that the way to go into a retreat ? Knowing your son is fearful through concern and love. To me , when I write, I have to be in the right place inside and out . Similar to meditation you have to reach in to reach out & maybe Mum needs to think about what worries she leaves on those she loves and who love her when she does this retreat. That is not clear and pure. Mindful. It burdens.

Maybe this is in the language used & I am not saying you are not using the right language Scamp, just sometimes we all talk on differing levels depending on where we are in a life. You are on the cusp of your brave new world. You think you protect. Your Mum just wants each day to be the best day. Reach out and live a 24 hours. She needs to know that you are not about stopping her. You are about love.

Your Mum doesn't want disappointment and postponement. She already had that. She wants experience and a feeling of fulfilment. A sunflower day.

Mum is already with you. Is there a retreat somewhere else. Of course there is. Thailand isn't all that & has some shocking records on many things. A yoga retreat can be anywhere. Think outside the box Scamp's Mum & sister. I know someone that flew to a yoga retreat from NZ to New York of all places. Meditation and yoga is not about a place ,. It is about the mind and soul.

If ScampMum doesn't want to go to the UK after all this planning then perhaps something equally mindful and alive can be found. This is all about compromise. We don't seek to corral people we love. Equally we don't seek to alarm those we love or we should not.

Do some work. Look at the current self quarantine around the world and alter the plans so the retreat can happen still but in a place of more certainty. You said you have the funds Scamp for this.

Scamp's Mum: I recognise this is something for you and inside of you . Work with your son so his mind also finds that place.

M
x

Old Mar 15th 2020, 8:54 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
the yanks are ahead of the game on this, you should be happy. NZ just put a travel ban without 14 day isolation into force. Italy is a shining light in the world the way I see it, lock down, all mortgages and household bills suspended for the duration if their isolation. That takes the entire reason for people to carry on regardless away.
I do not understand this post but there again I am a bit tired right now.

Does it read as you thought it would please?

Old Mar 15th 2020, 9:28 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I do not understand this post but there again I am a bit tired right now.

Does it read as you thought it would please?
Yes it does, Italy is a shining example of a government that gives a shite about it's citizens.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 9:36 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
She is of the certain age that many of us are. She has been through a dreadful C experience that has no real certain outcome long term ( and I am not trying to do you head in on this) so I suppose she is thinking to live her life right now and "in the now" , as the new modern way of talking goes. To live for the day , not the outcome.

I am torn on this big-time & when I say this please remember that my Mum was disabled through rheumatoid arthritis for decades and who died age younger than I am now. I am not being blase about your Mum. My Mum wanted to get out there and live a life in the sunlight not in the twilight.

Logically: She is already with you having already made an international flight which right now , for whatever anyone says, is Russian roulette in my book. Returning to the UK is also the same % level of risk . Better to have not travelled and to self isolate BUT she has already lived & faced an uncertain life and wants to live her life. It is hard to explain but when faced with mortality it can be hard to adopt a submissive passive attitude rather than stretch right out and grab the day(s). ----> says the person that canx a long awaited UK trip & has a good month of emergency stuff as lives in a quake zone = irony.

If one listens to BoJo, then really, there will be a triage pecking order . Heck, all countries may well have to apply this. Is she NHS or private? What does she gain by returning to the UK. You will feel she is 'safe' in her motherland. However she already knows life is not safe.

I read the NZ Travelsafe regarding travelling to Thailand from New Zealand. Having written the above and if this were me , age 65, I would not make that journey to Thailand. Not from fear of the virus -- and I have donned my zoot suit ,mask and gloves to protect myself as I write the .... joking on that . I have come to realise I am a tough oldish bird -- but because of the way the country would handle issues given there is already unrest in some quarters. Thailand is not a country for the faint hearted. It has a very different approach and culture. Your Mum may already know this though. Sri Lanka / Bali may be better.

I wouldn't want your Mum to miss her retreat with her daughter. It is special. Equally I wouldn't want your Mum to place herself in un-necessary peril. She is your Mum and she needs to remember that for you she is an everything person. Beyond special. Your one and only Mum. If she goes then it will be with your blessing of course but is that the way to go into a retreat ? Knowing your son is fearful through concern and love. To me , when I write, I have to be in the right place inside and out . Similar to meditation you have to reach in to reach out & maybe Mum needs to think about what worries she leaves on those she loves and who love her when she does this retreat. That is not clear and pure. Mindful. It burdens.

Maybe this is in the language used & I am not saying you are not using the right language Scamp, just sometimes we all talk on differing levels depending on where we are in a life. You are on the cusp of your brave new world. You think you protect. Your Mum just wants each day to be the best day. Reach out and live a 24 hours. She needs to know that you are not about stopping her. You are about love.

Your Mum doesn't want disappointment and postponement. She already had that. She wants experience and a feeling of fulfilment. A sunflower day.

Mum is already with you. Is there a retreat somewhere else. Of course there is. Thailand isn't all that & has some shocking records on many things. A yoga retreat can be anywhere. Think outside the box Scamp's Mum & sister. I know someone that flew to a yoga retreat from NZ to New York of all places. Meditation and yoga is not about a place ,. It is about the mind and soul.

If ScampMum doesn't want to go to the UK after all this planning then perhaps something equally mindful and alive can be found. This is all about compromise. We don't seek to corral people we love. Equally we don't seek to alarm those we love or we should not.

Do some work. Look at the current self quarantine around the world and alter the plans so the retreat can happen still but in a place of more certainty. You said you have the funds Scamp for this.

Scamp's Mum: I recognise this is something for you and inside of you . Work with your son so his mind also finds that place.

M
x
You're a superb human. Thank you very much.
I can totally understand where she's at. She needs this break, wants it, knows it's probably the last with sister (she's now got a serious feller) and is an opportunity to go to the other side of the world and do something she absolutely loves.
When she stops working she'll not have the cash to do these sorts of things
She tells me with absolute conviction she will not get this virus - we clash in a gentle but hard headed way around these sorts of things. She believes in special stones and angels and hippie shit. I don't, obviously. I give her space for this crap because it gives her comfort and support and she looks for the results in her beliefs. However, I can't tolerate a big decision like travelling in this way on a belief that you won't get ill, for no reason other than you're saying so.
Anyway.
I shall discuss again with her later, with sympathy to the cause and with options.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

Total lock down now,we are only allowed out for food medicines and hospital emergencies.When my wife came back from hairdressers this was on the radio, and she also saw strange red goverment vans driving about this is to last for at least 15 days.I got my pellets for the boiler yesterday and out of curiosity drove round the long way past 3 supermarkets car parks were rammed no trolleys in the bays everything else was shut and on the news people were being stopped by police and ordered off the streets and beaches and public areas .As i said before we are expecting storms and a week of rain a head it will be interesting to see what happens next.by the way we had a double cat food order arrive on thursday which should keep them going for 3/4 months P.S all animal food supplies shelves were striped clean on saturday.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 9:43 am
Banned

The.Ghost.of... is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I'm totally up for self isolating right now. We should have a BE self-isolation party.
What happens when we run out of and ....
Old Mar 15th 2020, 10:11 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

I can totally understand where she's at. She needs this break, wants it, knows it's probably the last with sister (she's now got a serious feller) and is an opportunity to go to the other side of the world and do something she absolutely loves.
She tells me with absolute conviction she will not get this virus - we clash in a gentle but hard headed way around these sorts of things. She believes in special stones and angels and hippie shit. I don't, obviously. I give her space for this crap because it gives her comfort and support and she looks for the results in her beliefs. However, I can't tolerate a big decision like travelling in this way on a belief that you won't get ill, for no reason other than you're saying so.
Anyway.
I shall discuss again with her later, with sympathy to the cause and with options.
BEVS has eloquently captured both sides.

Scampi, I totally get where you are coming from and why you are worried, but also totally get your mum's stance. Believe me, cancer changes your perspective on life forever, if I was in your mum's position I'd think **** it and do the same as her.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 10:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pommybird View Post
BEVS has eloquently captured both sides.

Scampi, I totally get where you are coming from and why you are worried, but also totally get your mum's stance. Believe me, cancer changes your perspective on life forever, if I was in your mum's position I'd think **** it and do the same as her.
there a lot to be said of...if you are going to go, go doing something you love. May be tough on loved ones though,
Old Mar 15th 2020, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway.I shall discuss again with her later, with sympathy to the cause and with options.
Scamp ---we have the opposite problem -----(You know where we are)----however our children want all plans here ----work on property, bills/bank etc. to change and we go to the UK 'NOW'-----
We are in a safe country planned to fly to UK in April, but they are scared that flights via Dubai to UK will be stopped and we won't be back in the UK for months.
It is great that they worry about us not returning to be with them, however what we are so worried about is their genuine worry and we really do not know what to do.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 10:48 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
there a lot to be said of...if you are going to go, go doing something you love. May be tough on loved ones though,
Very true, Jersey.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
This one isn't political, folks. Let's try to stick to factual stuff, OK?
Factual stuff!! You mean all the information on the T.V and in newspapers not to mention sites like this one. Just about every statement from anyone is designed to get people excited. Stick to factual stuff? There would be little to write about!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.