Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 14th 2020, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
I'm hearing a lot here in the UK about "herd immunity"......

A couple of points

Firstly immunity is a likely, not a given - there have been reports of re-infection. More likely is that any subsequent infection will be less serious......
Secondly, you don't achieve "herd immunity" by letting the primary disease run rampant - you achieve it by innoculation or by controlled infection.

Imagine if they decided to promote "herd immunity" for smallpox by giving everyone smallpox!!
WHO have said that there are too many unknowns about the virus behaviour.
Rupert Murdoch's Sky sport will be losing money.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 8:45 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
There are no flights from U.K. or Ireland, are there? Sorry to hear you two won’t get together over the break.
Well that's what I would have thought, although we haven't heard from Aer Lingus yet either way. It would seem unlikely they would put a plane in the air for a handful of people.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Mar 14th 2020 at 8:48 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 8:46 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Back from dinner. Fine views of the Seattle water front. Instead of having to queue and wait, we had our choice of where to sit. One other person in there for food, three drinking at the bar. I expected parking to be easier, but we got a space right in front of the place. Ghost town isn't too far off the mark!
About 50 restaurants closed down so far, it's dismal and will take some time to recover from.

We snuck out on Thursday, we were getting a bit of cabin fever and needed some exercise. We went for a walk down by the water front and purely by coincidence found ourselves at Paddy Coyne's for bangers and mash. It was nearly empty, maybe six other people in there, so we all sat a fair distance apart.

I'm so glad we moved from one side of the building to the other recently as I would soon have got bored with the view of the shoplifters selling their wares. At least now I get to watch the boats come and go, though they're slowing down too.

Old Mar 14th 2020, 8:47 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I don’t know whether he is best to stay or come back. 9/11 was one of the reasons my daughter didn’t apply to UK unis. She applied in 2002 and at the time she said she didn’t want to be somewhere that necessitated flying home. Baring in mind we lived 30 miles from Manhattan and she knew some of the families who were involved.
As far as virus infection itself goes, not sure how much difference that would make. I don't know if any of this is effective for its control or not. I suppose I can at least hope that the whole thing isn't pointless. Acts of war are a bit different I suppose.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 8:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
As far as virus infection itself goes, not sure how much difference that would make. I don't know if any of this is effective for its control or not. I suppose I can at least hope that the whole thing isn't pointless. Acts of war are a bit different I suppose.
Apart from infection (LL is a young strong guy who should be OK), where would he be happiest...in the UK with his girl/friends/new life or the US with family?
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
Private plane. Call Clooney or Cruise.
Originally Posted by andyrebell View Post
No cruises are going anywhere.
You've heard of Tom Cruise? Short bloke, star of Mission Impossible movies?
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Thanks. Sorry about your trip as well. Don't know about the insurance thing but that it is refundable.
We are also booked to go to the UK in August for a wedding. No end to the frustration. The Prague trip was for daughter’s birthday. She was so looking forward to it.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 8:56 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, duplicate

Last edited by robin1234; Mar 14th 2020 at 8:58 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Apart from infection (LL is a young strong guy who should be OK), where would he be happiest...in the UK with his girl/friends/new life or the US with family?
His long term plans are the same. The UK. Short term, he's a bit upended at the moment and he can't/doesn't want to give up his uni course. We should find out this coming week what the uni's plan is for lectures and exams .Right this minute, he would like to see his mum and I would like to see him.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 8:58 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the thought.

As a dual US/UK citizen, he could theoretically enter but I have no idea if Aer Lngus will get him here, nor could we be sure of him getting back. I'm pretty sure it won't be happening.
Also once they get here will they have to self isolate, which will take up half the trip and then it will be time to return. As disappointed as we are son is also concerned if he does get sick traveling then he will risk us old folk!

So much for our first year of retirement will be a travel year...even our trip to Philadelphia is being canceled now! ( Pity party)
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
How is anyone of this not conducive to appeasing China?

We need to do better at welcoming China into the rest of the world. There's a lot that's wrong there - their rampant industrialization, their treatment of minorities, their habit of shooting large numbers of people as part of their legal system - but none of that will be mitigated by driving them further and further away. It's a huge and very powerful force - best make friends now and this sort of collaboration is very good.

Tell me what has decades of free-trade and giving China access to Western markets led to? It has only emboldened them more, and given them the tools to more effectively bully their neighbors and act belligerent. They are also number in intellectual property theft. They have not stopped their internal genocides, they have enacted more harsh measures. Thinking they can be changed through openess is wishful thinking. They will only exploit access to Western markets and technology to make their fascist regime stronger.

Intellectual property theft is a stage in development. The United States was #1 in intellectual property theft from the foundation of the republic till the First World War.
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

His long term plans are the same. The UK. Short term, he's a bit upended at the moment and he can't/doesn't want to give up his uni course. We should find out this coming week what the uni's plan is for lectures and exams Right this minute, he would like to see his mum and I would like to see him.
I understand how you feel as a mum. When my daughter came home from uni for visits, my husband used to say I came to life...and I did.

I hope the uni manages to sort the course work out to his satisfaction. I’ve a feeling life isn’t going to get back to normal for a while...
Old Mar 14th 2020, 9:02 pm
Banned

The.Ghost.of... is an unknown quantity at this point

A strategy, based on the gamble that eventually the virus must run out of new people to infect, and so die off or weaken, ignores that virus's potential to mutate.
What happens if a variant (or any offspring) is even more potent, or requires no host to develop, or can transport itself in air or water....
I think we're looking a minimum of 9 -12 months here, and that's before we understand the whole picture. Maybe even longer.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
Also once they get here will they have to self isolate, which will take up half the trip and then it will be time to return. As disappointed as we are son is also concerned if he does get sick traveling then he will risk us old folk!

So much for our first year of retirement will be a travel year...even our trip to Philadelphia is being canceled now! ( Pity party)
Yes, but he wouldn't mind a couple of weeks at home with meals laid on He would have the internet...

He was worried about making me ill, too, to which I told him I was as strong as an ox and in really good nick. All that rowing I do has not been in vain. Sorry so many of your plans are screwed up. And the annoying thing is that this crisis mode probably won't last all that long. Just really poor timing.
Old Mar 14th 2020, 9:08 pm

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but he wouldn't mind a couple of weeks at home with meals laid on He would have the internet...

He was worried about making me ill, too, to which I told him I was as strong as an ox and in really good nick. All that rowing I do has not been in vain. Sorry so many of your plans are screwed up. And the annoying thing is that this crisis mode probably won't last all that long. Just really poor timing.
M's cardiologist told him to stay close to home for now as a precaution. So he will but he will probably end up remodelling the house/garage/garden

Hope you get to see LL in a few weeks. When is the semester finished?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.