Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Jan 27th 2020, 4:48 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
3 sick, 3 personal. 15 vacation but I'm buggered if I'm wasting them on a cold as well. ....
What about public holidays?
Old Jan 27th 2020, 4:50 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
What about public holidays?
Technically I was sick on Christmas Day and New Year's Day, if that counts.

I get six holidays, forgot to add those.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 4:52 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

3 sick, 3 personal. 15 vacation but I'm buggered if I'm wasting them on a cold as well.

As stated, 3 sick, 3 personal. I've used 2 of my personal days already and I tend to save my sick days to use if my daughter gets sick, but yeah that's it apart from my vacation days.

We have an accrual process for sick days - one day for each month worked, able to accrue and carry forward up to a maximum of 40 days. We also get 5 personal days, 2 floating holidays and 9 other paid holidays per year. Then actual vacation is accrued based on pay grade and longevity in the org. I think I'm at around three weeks but it's hard to calculate due to the strange algorithm. This is the nonprofit world - lower salary but more time off.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 4:55 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
We have an accrual process for sick days - one day for each month worked, able to accrue and carry forward up to a maximum of 40 days. We also get 5 personal days, 2 floating holidays and 9 other paid holidays per year. Then actual vacation is accrued based on pay grade and longevity in the org. I think I'm at around three weeks but it's hard to calculate due to the strange algorithm. This is the nonprofit world - lower salary but more time off.
I have a better than average vacation allowance, but that's only due to how long I've been here. My sick/personal time seems pretty standard for office type work, a lot of places give you 5 combined days, so I'm ahead by a day there.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
3 days sick leave a year? If that isn't criminal it should be

I'd better say something about the coronavirus or I'll get into trouble. Er, you haven't visited your local Chinese restaurant lately, have you?
I'll take 3 of 0.. ha ha

I haven't had a job yet in Canada that offered sick days, shocked me when I first moved here, because even my part-time min wage retail jobs in the US offered some sick days per year, but in Canada they are not as common it seems, encourages people to go into work sick, but then Canadian employers seem to want that because their sick policies can be archaic and you end up being penalized for being sick by losing pay each day you miss + often being written up for missing days.

I am guilty of going into work sick, oftentimes I simply could not afford to lose a days pay, by not offering sick days, employers are encouraging you to come in sick, and even when you call in often they give you a hard time for doing so, my wife had a bit of a fever and not feeling well yesterday, and they still wanted her to go into work, and she works in a grocery store around food and she will likely be written up for missing her shift.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jan 27th 2020 at 6:42 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 6:40 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I'll take 3 of 0.. ha ha

I haven't had a job yet in Canada that offered sick days, shocked me when I first moved here, because even my part-time min wage retail jobs in the US offered some sick days per year, but in Canada they are not as common it seems, encourages people to go into work sick, but then Canadian employers seem to want that because their sick policies can be archaic and you end up being penalized for being sick by losing pay each day you miss + often being written up for missing days.

I am guilty of going into work sick, oftentimes I simply could not afford to lose a days pay, by not offering sick days, employers are encouraging you to come in sick, and even when you call in often they give you a hard time for doing so, my wife had a bit of a fever and not feeling well yesterday, and they still wanted her to go into work, and she works in a grocery store around food and she will likely be written up for missing her shift.
I thought you guys were supposed to have your shit together up there.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 7:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

We do; matter of fact I'm not going in to work today because I'm in that critical "not showing any symptoms yet" stage. As the death toll in China increases and cases continue to pop up around the world we're going to be a bit more concerned. The advantage this time compared to the SARS virus is we can test for and identify this one right away. The extreme measures China is taking show how serious it is.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I find in general working in Canada less pleasant with companies less willing to provide benefits, where in the US equivalent jobs offer things like sick days, personal days etc.

I was shocked when I first moved here and found sick days were not really a thing.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 7:30 pm
Hail Satan!

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
We do; matter of fact I'm not going in to work today because I'm in that critical "not showing any symptoms yet" stage. As the death toll in China increases and cases continue to pop up around the world we're going to be a bit more concerned. The advantage this time compared to the SARS virus is we can test for and identify this one right away. The extreme measures China is taking show how serious it is.
Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I find in general working in Canada less pleasant with companies less willing to provide benefits, where in the US equivalent jobs offer things like sick days, personal days etc.

I was shocked when I first moved here and found sick days were not really a thing.
I guess some provinces have their shit together more than others.
Old Jan 27th 2020, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I guess some provinces have their shit together more than others.
Saskatchewan is more generous with vacation leave, mandating 3 weeks a year.

"Employees who have worked for more than one year and less than 10 years with the same employer receive three weeks of vacation leave."

BC isn't as generous, 2 weeks unless you stay with the same employer for 5 or more years then you can get 3 weeks after 5 years.

Work in a federally regulated profession like airline industry, then working rules are less generous as the federal labor code isn't as good.

If your in a traditional M-F 9-5 type job there are 10 stat holidays in the year as well, but for those of us doing shift work not in 9-5 type jobs stats just mean extra pay as we tend to have to work them which is why I get a bit annoyed when people will say oh but there are 10 stats a year too, well those stats are not extra days off for all of us so I don't consider them time off, I only ever got stat days off if it was already my normal day off...ha ha

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jan 27th 2020 at 11:34 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2020, 1:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

That was an unexpected voice mail message. Rang my doctor's practice to get an appointment for a script renewals. At the end of the usual pre-recorded info there was a new bit - "If you're experiencing cold or flu symptoms and have recently travelled to China, or are from a country with confirmed cases of the new coronavirus, please present to your nearest emergency department. GP practices are NOT equipped to treat the coronavirus".

I actually do have a cold-type bug and Australia does have confirmed cases but I'm not going because I'm sick, I just want a prescription. I'm sure the advice just relates to people who've flown in from other countries so may have been at increased risk of coming into contact with the virus. So rather than jump on the 'OMG I might have it because a couple of other people in my entire country have it' wagon, I didn't say anything. Which I think is perfectly sensible, so why do I feel slightly guilty? It's my mother's fault, fibbing wasn't allowed in our house
Old Jan 28th 2020, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
That was an unexpected voice mail message. Rang my doctor's practice to get an appointment for a script renewals. At the end of the usual pre-recorded info there was a new bit - "If you're experiencing cold or flu symptoms and have recently travelled to China, or are from a country with confirmed cases of the new coronavirus, please present to your nearest emergency department. GP practices are NOT equipped to treat the coronavirus".

I actually do have a cold-type bug and Australia does have confirmed cases but I'm not going because I'm sick, I just want a prescription. I'm sure the advice just relates to people who've flown in from other countries so may have been at increased risk of coming into contact with the virus. So rather than jump on the 'OMG I might have it because a couple of other people in my entire country have it' wagon, I didn't say anything. Which I think is perfectly sensible, so why do I feel slightly guilty? It's my mother's fault, fibbing wasn't allowed in our house
My doctors office has a notice on the door, says along the words of, if you have arrived from China within the last 14 days and are experiencing these symptoms, please call (phone number of office) or go to the ER.

It's a very small office and waiting room, can't blame them, plus as you mention in your post nothing a GP can do.

Old Jan 28th 2020, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Local media decided to create a chart comparing diseases.

https://shawglobalnews.files.wordpre...?w=1024&h=1452
Old Jan 28th 2020, 5:25 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Don't get me started on the sniffers and the snorers.
Scum. Buy a hankie you peasant.

Do you mean I'm not supposed to drag my nose across the head of the person in front of me?

No joke though this last one I just had, tissues were useless anyway. I couldn't clear my left nostril if my life depended on it.
Colombian marching powder is your friend. It could clear a golf ball in a garden hose.

I only get 3 sick days though, I can't waste them on a cold!
Woah, woah, woah. You get 3 days to be poorly in a year and if you're too poorly above that, you come in or don't get paid?

What are personal days?
Old Jan 28th 2020, 12:04 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting - I'm flying UK-US tomorrow and I've never before had a "courtesy call" from Virgin asking me if I'm still intending to fly - I wonder if this is corona-related?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.