Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 11th 2020, 9:50 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
The ones with other issues will be helped if the majority are also 'more' careful. I know you didn't mean otherwise, of course, but worth adding that bit.

Take a look at this for a great presentation of how quarantine and isolation can have a dramatic effect on the growth of the disease - as it says in the video [@7:42], cutting the transmission rate can reduce the number of infections that at the current infection rate of 15% could reach 100million in 61 days, whereas taking some precautions and reducing the transmission rate to 5% would reduce the number of infections to only 411,000 over the same 61 days.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 10:15 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
The medical professionals can work on treatments and a vaccination for coronavirus, but they'll never find a cure for stupid.
Believe me, anything you say would be less caustic than the few choice Portuguese phrases that SWMBO used! However, although Alentejanos are the butt of "stupid" jokes in Portugal (like the Polish in th states.... and guess why I get on with them so well!!) the neighbours daughter in Albufeira says the shelves in her supermarkrt are empty..... whereas when SWMBO went shopping everything was normal in Ourique. Stupid is as stupid does.....

On that note, after toilet rolls (why??), the second thing flying off supermarket shelves in the UK seems to be dry pasta.
Presumably because eating Pasta makes you immune to the virus.... no, wait!
Old Mar 11th 2020, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Seattle public schools are being closed for 2 weeks starting tomorrow.

Sucks that Seattle is a hub for 2 airlines, Alaska and Delta, imagine how many people could be infected each day leaving Seattle.

https://www.kuow.org/stories/seattle...virus-outbreak
Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
So my kids going to be home for a minimum of two weeks, my adjacent school district, where I work, are expecting a similar announcement very soon.
That's very interesting and a complete reversal from what SPS was saying just a few days ago, when some real hardliners were publicly saying they wouldn't close the schools no matter how bad it got because of concerns over some of the kids being able to get a daily lunch, being able to play sport and so on.

That didn't go down well (talk about a total lack of perspective from SPS), I'm sure they got some real health & safety pushback from unions, parents, health officials and government . . . I bet they were told they had to close whether they liked it or not . . . reading through their announcement it seems they were caught by surprise and hadn't made satisfactory contingency plans for this (closing schools isn't just a matter of shutting the doors, there's a lot that has to go into it).

In the end common sense prevailed.
Old Mar 11th 2020, 10:29 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg

Take a look at this for a great presentation of how quarantine and isolation can have a dramatic effect on the growth of the disease - as it says in the video [@7:42], cutting the transmission rate can reduce the number of infections that at the current infection rate of 15% could reach 100million in 61 days, whereas taking some precautions and reducing the transmission rate to 5% would reduce the number of infections to only 411,000 over the same 61 days.
Very good, but there are no cartoons........

Seriously, it's a good example of the modelling being done to drive behaviour requirements - but now try getting that across in the attention span of the average eejit and without scaring them with formulae. No wonder they just keep telling people to wash their hands......
Old Mar 11th 2020, 11:53 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Denmark is shutting down ...
This virus is going to be (or already is) a very expensive one !
Old Mar 12th 2020, 12:11 am
Resident Cynic

We should immediately intern Sandi Toksvig.....
Old Mar 12th 2020, 1:18 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
We should immediately intern Sandi Toksvig.....
She's apparently left Bake Off.

She's escaped The Tent.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 1:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Climb to 46 confirmed cases now here in BC.

Old Mar 12th 2020, 2:27 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

US to restrict travel from Europe
https://apnews.com/6624f3e73ae7e94ca867d01caca8cffd

Sounds like US residents are OK to return.

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 12th 2020 at 2:50 am.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 2:34 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Have I left it too late to get seriously pissed and run around my garden naked, Shouting " We're all going to die! We're all going to die!" or is there still time yet????
Old Mar 12th 2020, 2:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
Have I left it too late to get seriously pissed and run around my garden naked, Shouting " We're all going to die! We're all going to die!" or is there still time yet????
Plenty of time. I'll bring the sunblock and some sunglasses for the neighbours, you provide the G&Ts
Old Mar 12th 2020, 2:36 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Trip to Prague from US via London, April 2 to 10. What now? Call Expedia? Call BA? Or does my travel insurance cover this? All lines to travel insurance inundated.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 2:44 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory View Post
Trip to Prague from US via London, April 2 to 10. What now? Call Expedia? Call BA? Or does my travel insurance cover this? All lines to travel insurance inundated.

It's not good, is it. Travel ban from "Europe" (not defined so far) but not the UK, for 30 days starting Friday. I'm sorry your plans are messed up. I'm still hoping that a) my son will be able to get his flight from the UK on the 28th and b) be able to get back again three weeks later.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 2:45 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post
Be quick!

No really, all will be well - as long as all the people surrounding you do all the right things, all the time, and selflessly sacrifice themselves on your behalf - whilst getting evicted and losing their job for excess sick leave. What could possibly go wrong?
Old Mar 12th 2020, 2:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
It's not good, is it. Travel ban from "Europe" (not defined so far) but not the UK, for 30 days starting Friday. I'm sorry your plans are messed up. I'm still hoping that a) my son will be able to get his flight from the UK on the 28th and b) be able to get back again three weeks later.
Such a piss off Lion. I have two spare fingers so I'll keep them crossed for you and Little Lion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.