Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 2:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
And that's the rub isn't it, some will undoubtedly fail. Hopefully it will become clearer so that you can confidently book Little Lion another flight.

I'm still all over the place with our flight refunds, although I've cancelled most of the accommodation and received full refunds. I booked our flights through an online travel site and we were flying with 3 different airlines. I've kept a copy of a web chat I had with them, they checked out the various cancellation policies of the airlines and told me I'd get around $8,700 back from $10,500.

But I've yet to have a response to my written request to cancel, and since then the Oz government has issued their highest travel warning, which in turn means I can claim from my travel insurance the entire amount of the airfares, the Turkey hotel tariff that it wouldn't refund, and my UK - Italy UK and UK - Spain - UK flights, plus a couple of miscellaneous expenses. I'll have another go at contacting the online travel agent and the travel insurer tomorrow, I've got a headache!
Gah! You need an admin assistant to keep track of all that.

Good luck, I hope you get it all. I do feel for small businesses though, and the people who will be losing jobs everywhere.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 2:55 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Small problem I know but just an example of losing money if the company goes under. We have 2 sofas on order since early Jan...had to pay in full...delivery was estimated May as they are coming from...yup you guessed...China. I presume if the store goes under...our money will go with it. I suppose many people will lose money if they have paid for goods/services and the company goes under.
Did you pay by credit card?

Incidentally, I was speaking with my hairdresser yesterday. She couldn't get supplies delivered even if she did want to work. Most of her colors come out of Italy and Germany. We'll know everybody's real hair color before this is all over. Don't even get me started on my eyebrows.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 2:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Gah! You need an admin assistant to keep track of all that.

Good luck, I hope you get it all. I do feel for small businesses though, and the people who will be losing jobs everywhere.
Thanks It was our 'dream trip', gotta laugh at that

Yes, so many people being laid off and small businesses in trouble. It's beyond sad.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 2:56 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
(OT) What the hell is the story with those U.K. cisterns? How do you get the lid off them, if you need to?
lift it off not all are directly connected to flushing mech, newer ones have a cable connect the bits
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

(OT) What the hell is the story with those U.K. cisterns? How do you get the lid off them, if you need to?
they are not just in the UK...we have them in Canadaland too. The lids lift off...same as the old one.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:01 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Thanks It was our 'dream trip', gotta laugh at that

Yes, so many people being laid off and small businesses in trouble. It's beyond sad.
The trip will live to fight another year, and maybe there will be some good pricing around to entice the punters.

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
The trip will live to fight another year, and maybe there will be some good pricing around to entice the punters.
I think I would wait. The reason I mentioned my order was...if you book say for October and the airline goes under...your money may/will go under too.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:03 pm
BEfuddled

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Just received an email from other B-I-L; Friday morning he tripped and fell indoors, seemed bad so S-I-L took him to A and E.
X-ray and a scan showed 3 fractures in lower arm plus ligament damage. He left in plaster after about 6 hours, he's due back on Tuesday to have a couple of plates fitted.

His final comment was "At least the golf course has been closed now, so it could have been worse".

Here it's mostly ok, finally scored some 'precious' on Saturday morning. Also enough cat food for a month or so.

Major gatherings outside are banned since 10 days and major has since been redefined as more than two people - unless comprising people from the same household.

Food shops, pharmacies, pet-food store, take-aways are open, everything else closed since last Wednesday, borders with Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg and France closed Friday afternoon.

Most people are behaving, but OH just heard of a bar (in Antwerp city?) that has been busted for the second time in eight days for flaunting the lockdown rule.

Idiocy knows no borders.

On flights and cancellations, OH could only obtain vouchers, no refunds, from United Airlines.

Keep safe y'all.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:05 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

they are not just in the UK...we have them in Canadaland too. The lids lift off...same as the old one.
We have more of the hidden ones here cistern sits in a metal frame bolted to floor which is hidden betbehind wall panel and then the throne appears to float off the floor.

https://www.vidaxl.fr/e/871847573535...QaAuOlEALw_wcB
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
Just received an email from other B-I-L; Friday morning he tripped and fell indoors, seemed bad so S-I-L took him to A and E.
X-ray and a scan showed 3 fractures in lower arm plus ligament damage. He left in plaster after about 6 hours, he's due back on Tuesday to have a couple of plates fitted.

His final comment was "At least the golf course has been closed now, so it could have been worse".

Here it's mostly ok, finally scored some 'precious' on Saturday morning. Also enough cat food for a month or so.

Major gatherings outside are banned since 10 days and major has since been redefined as more than two people - unless comprising people from the same household.

Food shops, pharmacies, pet-food store, take-aways are open, everything else closed since last Wednesday, borders with Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg and France closed Friday afternoon.

Most people are behaving, but OH just heard of a bar (in Antwerp city?) that has been busted for the second time in eight days for flaunting the lockdown rule.

Idiocy knows no borders.

On flights and cancellations, OH could only obtain vouchers, no refunds, from United Airlines.

Keep safe y'all.

my sister and BIL in the uk are still playing golf. The clubhouse is closed but the green is open.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:17 pm

I think I would wait. The reason I mentioned my order was...if you book say for October and the airline goes under...your money may/will go under too.
Yes, this is absolutely the problem. Christmas was what I was looking at, since he will have another break then and the flights are much less to buy now. Tempting, but possibly not sensible.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirusvd

the reason liquor stores are not being closed down in N America is because of alcohol dependency problems.
Sounds illogical to me. Money is better spent on food, these times would be an opportunity to reduce 'dependencies' and could help people recover from their addictions by closing the liquor stores. I doubt alcohol could be considered a medical or biological necessity.

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly View Post
Sounds illogical to me. Money is better spent on food, these times would be an opportunity to reduce 'dependencies' and could help people recover from their addictions by closing the liquor stores. I doubt alcohol could be considered a medical or biological necessity.
There was a run on liquor stores in Australia today, but Scott Morrison says that they will remain open in most (but perhaps not all) of the country because they are not gathering points.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly View Post

Don’t alcohol dependent people prefer to spend money on liquor than food? The authorities don’t want hospitals and clinics overloaded by people drying out or going on a rampage for booze.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:28 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Easy, the top ring unscrews and the lid lifts off....simples.
The two buttons allow a full or reduced flush - but I prefer our ROCA units in Portugal where a short press is for a reduced flush and a long press empties the cistern.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.