Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
In some respects, but not others - much of the US has a very low population density, so it is likely that the disease will hit urban centers much hard than the greatest expanses of the US, and therefore is likely to hit immigrants, the poor, and other groups known to inhabit urban centers, the hardest.

I think the unknown quantity is whether people in low population density areas are complacent or adopt appropriate social distancing protocols.

​​
Possibly . . . the discussion came up in Australia with medical professionals, and their conclusion was it might take longer to reach lower-density small towns such as in farming areas or remote regions. But that when it did arrive, it was likely to rip through more intensely for a variety of reasons.

I am in a very rural area and I would say my area is putting more attention into social distancing than those in the big cities.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 2:16 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirusvd

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Most definitely. And if there's a slice of toast next to it, it's indisputably a breakfast drink.
I think you're adding the wrong kind of toast to champagne.

I should add that if it's a fancy glass it's not sherry so it must be champagne
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

This was released to the media from a group of doctors in BC.

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad humans don't have the ability like other animals and hibernate, I wouldn't mind having that ability about now. Just lay down, and sleep for 2 months and wake up hoping things are improved.

If I really push myself I can sleep 12 to 14 hours but still leaves 10-12 hours awake..
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Too bad humans don't have the ability like other animals and hibernate, I wouldn't mind having that ability about now. Just lay down, and sleep for 2 months and wake up hoping things are improved.

If I really push myself I can sleep 12 to 14 hours but still leaves 10-12 hours awake..
Now, there's a business opportunity for someone! Most people who have pursued this have aimed for something like hundreds of years, but maybe it wouldn't be so hard to suspend animation for a year or so ... that could help with social distancing!
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Why are we still arguing about this? I have lived here for 20 years. I do know what the grocery stores here do and don't do. As I said in my very first post in this ridiculous discussion, if you want home delivery you pay an expensive third party to do it. That may be inconsequential to you but not to me.
I don't normally do this but you persist in making false statements here. In your very first post on this subject you said:

We aren't allowed online ordering from supermarkets here in the land of the free, with the result that Amazon now seems to be out of most things. I go to a local non-chain grocery store here most of the time, and they have plenty of fresh fruit and veg, meat, milk and eggs seem to be ok, the usual no paper products or disinfecting products of any kind situation, little to no pasta, rice, tinned tomatoes, and very little laundry detergent.
There is no mention of 'pay an expensive third party to do it' (though you did say that later), you said 'we aren't allowed online ordering'. And that's why I did some checking because I took you at your word, assuming perhaps the government had shut down online ordering. Nothing could be further from the truth - online ordering is widespread. I also found at least one service that was flat fee $9.95 which I'd consider quite a bargain considering all the steps involved.

I'm sorry you are facing difficulties with your son, I truly am, but don't complain about someone correcting a blatantly incorrect statement that could easily mislead others.

ETA - for the record, you mentioned that you can "pay an expensive 3rd party to do it" almost a day later than the initial post above, in this post:
https://britishexpats.com/forum/take.../#post12824393

Last edited by Steerpike; Mar 22nd 2020 at 4:25 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know some of the grocery chains in So. California offer home delivery via their websites. No 3rd party app required.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Fast-moving events in Australia:

Premier Gladys Berejiklian announces that New South Wales is heading into lockdown. Schools will open "tomorrow" but the Premier will "have more to say about this in the morning."

Victoria likely to follow. Emergency cabinet meeting tonight. Victorian schools to close from Tuesday.

South Australia joins Tasmania and the Northern Territory in closing borders.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison tells Australians to avoid all "non-essential domestic travel" including holidays.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I don't normally do this but you persist in making false statements here. In your very first post on this subject you said:

There is no mention of 'pay an expensive third party to do it' (though you did say that later), you said 'we aren't allowed online ordering'. And that's why I did some checking because I took you at your word, assuming perhaps the government had shut down online ordering. Nothing could be further from the truth - online ordering is widespread. I also found at least one service that was flat fee $9.95 which I'd consider quite a bargain considering all the steps involved.

I'm sorry you are facing difficulties with your son, I truly am, but don't complain about someone correcting a blatantly incorrect statement that could easily mislead others.

please let this drop now. LIW has already said she has more important things to think about. Thank you.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
My old Motorola did - a full two hour heavy duty wash in a front-loader, with a pre-soak, and high-speed spin! .... I hadn't even realized it was in there until I took out my yard clothes that had need intensive laundering.

I took my phone, removed the back, and the battery, and placed it with a dehumidifier blowing on it, and the next day it was fine, running perfectly, and you would never have known it had been through the wash. But it was nice and clean.
Must be the model, I have tried washing 2 different Motorola's, admittedly one went through the dryer as well with no success.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

FY! City Market in Breckenridge was both fairly full of stuff, I bought everything I needed and pretty empty of customers. And that seemed the only life in town. Normally I avoid at this time of year, especially at a weekend as the traffic is horrendous and you will have difficulty finding somewhere to park.

The cashier wished my Happy Coronavirus.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, toast turns everything into breakfast. Well-known fact.

How are things in your neck of the woods?
Doing ok thanks. Have just come back from mum's, we're divvying up days so that we're not all there together so just scouse, myself and one other sister this morning. All sitting at least 2 metres from each other around the courtyard table with well washed hands. Mum had made a banana cake

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I think you're adding the wrong kind of toast to champagne.

I should add that if it's a fancy glass it's not sherry so it must be champagne

Fancy Georgian sherry glasses

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:42 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Doing ok thanks. Have just come back from mum's, we're divvying up days so that we're not all there together so just scouse, myself and one other sister this morning. All sitting at least 2 metres from each other around the courtyard table with well washed hands. Mum had made a banana cake

Fancy Georgian sherry glasses

Cake and sherry. You've almost got a trifle there, another well-known breakfast food.

The way life is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJHU...2KpOhmYXBwi2l0

Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:46 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Cake and sherry. You've almost got a trifle there, another well-known breakfast food.

The way life is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJHU...2KpOhmYXBwi2l0
The bloke in the video got it spot on

Damn, I feel like trifle now.
Old Mar 22nd 2020, 4:53 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Cake and sherry. You've almost got a trifle there,
My phone calendar reminder thing said today: Call son and give him list of goodies to bring with him.

I don't drink but I might just start!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.