Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
This pandemic was unexpected by everyone. I don't really blame any country for it, nor their slow responses. Luckily now, most are taking it seriously.

But I have zero tolerance for those politicians more concerned with their popularity ratings than good governance. Government is supposed to be about serving the population, not self servitude.
Or Politicians who have been briefed over the possible & probable impact off this Virus & then it seems "dump stock holdings"
Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
...How ironic that these people are now holding out their hands for support from the system they chose to avoid...........
I feel a little bit like that with Alberta. Bragging might be too strong a word but since I moved to Canada there's been a lot of "everything's great here, wages are fantastic and we have the lowest tax rates (including zero purchase taxes)" kind of thing and then there was a bit of showing off that when they had a surplus it was dished out to the province's residents.

Then the economy takes a hit and they want bailing out. Of course it might not be the same ones showing off and then wanting a bail out. And it's just my impression. I might be completely wrong.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 2:00 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Oh yeah i can do that even a walk down to the post box even sunbath but and it is a big but.It has been raining and cloudy since sunday last.From middle of january till sunday it has been hot and sunny what a bummer .I do not know if you all heard they shut bondi beach because it was packed and nobody was practicing social spacing.Here in spain my wife has shown me footage of brit woman in hotel pool with a police officer asking her to get out she refused,So he stripped off got in and dragged her out kicking and screaming handcuffed her and taken away in a van while all the brits who were drinking at the pollbar were cheering her on which they also cleared,i am trying to think of a word that comes at the end of bunch?????
In my line of work, we call them SEP's... Someone else's problem (ie; management's) is the polite version..
Old Mar 21st 2020, 2:13 pm
Banned

The.Ghost.of... is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
In my line of work, we call them SEP's... Someone else's problem (ie; management's) is the polite version..
... 300 times S.E.P. now it seems
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/mar/21/home-office-releases-300-from-detention-centres-amid-covid-19-pandemic
"Release follows legal action that argues Home Office is failing to protect immigration detainees"
Old Mar 21st 2020, 2:19 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
That's what exponential expansion means.....
Without intervention the number of infections by a virus against which we have no protection has been calculated as rising from 1-100,000,000 in 61 days. That's the reason for the (late) knee-jerk restrictions worldwide.
This is serious - stupid comments from self-serving deniers and politicians eager to save face are not helpful.
Added 20,000 yesterday - it isn't going to take 12 days to add the next 100,000!
Old Mar 21st 2020, 2:44 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
Added 20,000 yesterday - it isn't going to take 12 days to add the next 100,000!
4 days for third 100k so 400k in four days or possibly 2 the US isn't getting it's poop together because the leader is an empty suited the larger population within a containment zone will see infection rate increase further.

The US has it's geographical size against it as well enforcing a lock down nationwide can only be done with the army because police officers would be spread too thinly.

Old Mar 21st 2020, 3:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Usual suspects trying to turn everything into a political argument. Going forward off topic political posts will be deleted, not moved.

Off topic political posts moved...

https://britishexpats.com/forum/take...thread-931844/
Old Mar 21st 2020, 3:36 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
4 days for third 100k so 400k in four days or possibly 2 the US isn't getting it's poop together because the leader is an empty suited the larger population within a containment zone will see infection rate increase further.

The US has it's geographical size against it ....
In some respects, but not others - much of the US has a very low population density, so it is likely that the disease will hit urban centers much hard than the greatest expanses of the US, and therefore is likely to hit immigrants, the poor, and other groups known to inhabit urban centers, the hardest.

I think the unknown quantity is whether people in low population density areas are complacent or adopt appropriate social distancing protocols.

​​

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 21st 2020 at 3:39 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles View Post
Or Politicians who have been briefed over the possible & probable impact off this Virus & then it seems "dump stock holdings"
There will be more of them. It's legal in the US for a politician to trade on insider information and they all do it.

Old Mar 21st 2020, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
By the way all payments are all by plastic no cash allowed
I was wondering about that; while I read conflicting information about how the virus can survive on different surfaces, something absorbent like 'paper' money (which is in fact cotton, in the US ... plastic in the UK?) which then has to be handled by a cashier (and change made, typically) seems inherently more dangerous than using a card and a machine (I know there are machines that take 'bills' but they are not heavily deployed). Perhaps this will finally be the end of cash? I did notice, my daily use ATM card is getting so worn that I'm getting 'chip malfunction' errors every few uses ... I wonder if I can get another one issued at this time? I really wasn't thinking of this as being important but if I can't pay for things at the 'register', I'm going to be screwed!

I'm tempted to wipe my card with alcohol to keep it clean (after I go shopping) but I worry that the alcohol will melt the mag strip.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 5:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I was wondering about that; while I read conflicting information about how the virus can survive on different surfaces, something absorbent like 'paper' money (which is in fact cotton, in the US ... plastic in the UK?) which then has to be handled by a cashier (and change made, typically) seems inherently more dangerous than using a card and a machine
In my small part of the world plexi-glass is being fitted at the cash desks in the supermarkets and they're having one till for cash and the others for cards.

It doesn't look hugely protective where this guy is standing

Old Mar 21st 2020, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

My local supermarket will not take cash.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 5:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Arrived in UK last evening one of the last flights out of India. 2 hours delay---passenger taken ill (not virus) as about to take-off at Dubai.

Now able to give moral support to children. Two doctor daughters in such stress I have never seen with them before.
They have ordered us not to leave our house OH in 80s with previous heart problems and if I go out and catch it would pass it to him. So will obey not to stress them further.

Fortunately have food in freezer and UHT milk. OH will have to eat pizzas and burgers and put up with it!!!
It's not an easy time to be a doctor.

Respects to them for carrying on regardless.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I just got an email from Whole Foods - they are dedicating 1st hour to seniors (60+), closing earlier to restock and clean, paying everyone an extra $2 / hr (apparently related to an Amazon initiative), paying 'double-time' for overtime, and other things. They are also closing their 'self service' areas such as salad bars, hot food bars, etc ... which makes sense but will impact my g/f in California who practically lives out of WF self-service!
Old Mar 21st 2020, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Many stores here are not taking cash at the moment. Its causing problems for the poorest of society though who don't have credit and debit cards.

We have a debit card but no available credit card so we can't order any supplies or food online.

Most people here in general seem to be taking it seriously now, the buses are largely empty, very few people on the streets and sidewalks. We live in a lower income area and mostly just the poorest of the poor out and about, but they likely have nowhere to go during the day.

One the grocery chains here has upped the pay temporarily $2 per hour. Amazon here is hiring, but seems to be a quick way to catch this thing considering how many people file into one of those warehouses each day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.