Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 21st 2020, 4:33 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Here in the UK, supermarkets DO deliver, but a low percentage of customers use that option regularly. So, only an idiot would think that the supermarkets would be in the position to deliver to just about everyone, right? Unfortunately, being an idiot appears to be a career skill amongst those forming policy and so we are left with deliveries being available..... but only with a 3-week delay because no bookable slots are available - and that's not likely to improve any time soon. Now the "obvious light" has come on, various alternatives are being introduced, the postie delivering bread, etc., but these are voluntary actions and the truth is, the vast majority of people will have to go to the shop.....

Another area where idiocy reigns (or perhaps just a lack of common sense) is that the "silver hour"s introduced by UK supermarkets to allow the elderly to shop before stock is depleted have not been policed, so that they have been ignored and pensioners elbowed out of the way by the "survivor of the fittest" enthisiasts. My local supermarket in Portugal reduced the day from one 12-hour shift to 2 4-hour shifts (to preempt staff shortages and allow for shelf restocking) and only allow 40 people in the shop at any one time, after which it's one out, one in (social distancing). This is policed by using two of their security people on the door just barring the way. Portugal already has a general policy of priority service for the elderly and the disabled, so no knee-jerk "silver hour" was necessary..... Bravo!!
Yes, even in Portsmouth supermarkets deliver, but of course they couldn't possibly delivery to every customer all the time, as people are now finding out.

The "vulnerable people" shopping hour at the Portsmouth Asda seems to be at 10am, by which time the shelves have been cleaned by the ravening hordes.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
You are way over-thinking this. It was a flippant remark. And thankfully, I don't live anywhere near Peoria. I live on the edge of Chicago.

Did you think I was making this up? Why would I do that? Why are you searching it? Why does anyone even care?
This thread has some value as a public service, letting people know what is available. You made a comment that suggested that you are not allowed to order groceries online in the US - which is patently false. I assumed, at first, that maybe the government had suddenly banned online delivery - which got me searching since I am about to start using it myself. Yesterday you made a comment suggesting that refrigeration of produce is a complete 'fad' practiced only in the US with no real value - which I refuted with an informative link showing how shelf-lives of some fruits (not all) can be greatly extended by refrigeration - also a subject of value in this time of food shortages. There are enough challenges living in this country without you inventing more.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 4:40 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
This thread has some value as a public service, letting people know what is available. You made a comment that suggested that you are not allowed to order groceries online in the US - which is patently false. I assumed, at first, that maybe the government had suddenly banned online delivery - which got me searching since I am about to start using it myself. Yesterday you made a comment suggesting that refrigeration of produce is a complete 'fad' practiced only in the US with no real value - which I refuted with an informative link showing how shelf-lives of some fruits (not all) can be greatly extended by refrigeration - also a subject of value in this time of food shortages. There are enough challenges living in this country without you inventing more.

Oh FFS.

Life's too short.

You know what I'm worried about? My son, in the UK by himself, who I haven't seen since Christmas, whose spring trip here is cancelled, and who I have no idea when I will be able to see again.

I am not worried about your online shopping fetish.

Christ on a bike.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 4:50 am

Don't use substitutes people. Bad things will happen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-51980820
Old Mar 21st 2020, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Oh FFS.

Life's too short.

You know what I'm worried about? My son, in the UK by himself, who I haven't seen since Christmas, whose spring trip here is cancelled, and who I have no idea when I will be able to see again.

I am not worried about your online shopping fetish.

Christ on a bike.
Exactly. We are discussing trivialities such as online food delivery maybe because it is easier on the mind than imagining gasping one's life away with no ventilators available.
It's been a bad week here. A death in the family due to cancer. Financial worries for us and children who are now out of work. On top of that I just experienced my first earthquake. On the plus side, the cat is doing a solid job keeping us from losing it, but shedding ginger hair everywhere.

Old Mar 21st 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by sid nv View Post
Exactly. We are discussing trivialities such as online food delivery maybe because it is easier on the mind than imagining gasping one's life away with no ventilators available.
It's been a bad week here. A death in the family due to cancer. Financial worries for us and children who are now out of work. On top of that I just experienced my first earthquake. On the plus side, the cat is doing a solid job keeping us from losing it, but shedding ginger hair everywhere.

Sorry to hear of your loss and for all the rest of the virus-related stress. It's a bit shit, isn't it.

Our cat is also doing his bit by being decorative, slightly unhinged, and orange.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 6:32 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
"Meanwhile, young Australians aren’t getting the message on the importance of isolating and experts warn it could result in deaths." - The Australian

Um, is this because the Government keeps telling them that they need to be in school and that schools will remain open because it's such a low-risk environment?
Are they not referring to young Australian adults who don't believe that they're at risk and are thus many are still carrying on with their overly social ways?
I know the data from South Korea showed that the highest levels of transmission were in the 20-29 age group (so far as I can remember), but they also had one of the lowest levels of ill-effects. Of course, "ill-effects" is a personal thing and doesn't tell us how many other people in other age groups caught it off them.

Old Mar 21st 2020, 6:48 am

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy View Post
Are they not referring to young Australian adults who don't believe that they're at risk and are thus many are still carrying on with their overly social ways?
I know the data from South Korea showed that the highest levels of transmission were in the 20-29 age group (so far as I can remember), but they also had one of the lowest levels of ill-effects. Of course, "ill-effects" is a personal thing and doesn't tell us how many other people in other age groups caught it off them.
It's a shame they don't read this.. https://www.boredpanda.com/coronavir...ason-yanowitz/
Old Mar 21st 2020, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your loss and for all the rest of the virus-related stress. It's a bit shit, isn't it.

Our cat is also doing his bit by being decorative, slightly unhinged, and orange.
Arrived in UK last evening one of the last flights out of India. 2 hours delay---passenger taken ill (not virus) as about to take-off at Dubai.

Now able to give moral support to children. Two doctor daughters in such stress I have never seen with them before.
They have ordered us not to leave our house OH in 80s with previous heart problems and if I go out and catch it would pass it to him. So will obey not to stress them further.

Fortunately have food in freezer and UHT milk. OH will have to eat pizzas and burgers and put up with it!!!

Old Mar 21st 2020, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
It's a shame they don't read this.. https://www.boredpanda.com/coronavir...ason-yanowitz/
There was an article today (can't find it now, on a Canadian news) of a 23 year old man in Toronto, he described what happened to him, and it sounds like hell on earth, and well beyond what the flu is.

Thing with this virus is it seems to be nothing in some, and kills others and every in between.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

WE will be going into our second week of lockdown here in spain just to let you all know the government has taken control of all hospitals state and private all medical centers and town halls.Police are on main roads stopping people and checking, everything seems to be going well with people behaving except the odd idiot which they just arrest and are dealt with
Food shopping seems to be calming down now with controlled entry and shelves full with the odd exception,older people are allowed early shopping hour this information is from friends
Pharmacys are open. my wife has been 2/3 times my prescription was wrong, so pharmacy rings doctors the doctors ring us.My wife goes to medical centre she has to wait outside some one comes out in full protective gear and mask asks what do you want,then brings new prescription out,back to pharmacy gets medication.All are very helpful and caring.This is great to know when you need help all this in 2 hours Perfect
Wife emailed paint shop for her order they got back to her you have to ring before you go and you have to go to side door knock step back they bring it out you pay seems ok
By the way all payments are all by plastic no cash allowed
Petrol stations are all open with the odd queue.Our local petrol station man told my wife all payments by plastic when finished they spray machine and wipe down.This is a Served petrol station not self service,by the way he is a local man and is very nice person
You might like to know i have not left the house for over a week because i am called a vulnerable person because of my heart and likely to get the dreaded and drop dead,so just look out of the window which is not too bad because we look over the whole valley.I can see the 2 roads that lead to jalon from a distance and can tell you they are very very very quiet
Lets hope in the coming weeks we here good news from our government and medical people
Old Mar 21st 2020, 9:36 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
Arrived in UK last evening one of the last flights out of India. 2 hours delay---passenger taken ill (not virus) as about to take-off at Dubai.

Now able to give moral support to children. Two doctor daughters in such stress I have never seen with them before.
Good news! I’m glad you made it to the UK
Old Mar 21st 2020, 10:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
WE will be going into our second week of lockdown here in spain just to let you all know the government has taken control of all hospitals state and private all medical centers and town halls.Police are on main roads stopping people and checking, everything seems to be going well with people behaving except the odd idiot which they just arrest and are dealt with
Food shopping seems to be calming down now with controlled entry and shelves full with the odd exception,older people are allowed early shopping hour this information is from friends
Pharmacys are open. my wife has been 2/3 times my prescription was wrong, so pharmacy rings doctors the doctors ring us.My wife goes to medical centre she has to wait outside some one comes out in full protective gear and mask asks what do you want,then brings new prescription out,back to pharmacy gets medication.All are very helpful and caring.This is great to know when you need help all this in 2 hours Perfect
Wife emailed paint shop for her order they got back to her you have to ring before you go and you have to go to side door knock step back they bring it out you pay seems ok
By the way all payments are all by plastic no cash allowed
Petrol stations are all open with the odd queue.Our local petrol station man told my wife all payments by plastic when finished they spray machine and wipe down.This is a Served petrol station not self service,by the way he is a local man and is very nice person
You might like to know i have not left the house for over a week because i am called a vulnerable person because of my heart and likely to get the dreaded and drop dead,so just look out of the window which is not too bad because we look over the whole valley.I can see the 2 roads that lead to jalon from a distance and can tell you they are very very very quiet
Lets hope in the coming weeks we here good news from our government and medical people
I haven't really thought about this only having seen apartment blocks on lock down, but can you not even go outside in the garden? Stay well.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Australian Health Minister Greg Hunt has now used the "L" word (lockdown), saying it may be necessary in parts of Sydney and Melbourne due to the state and local government's inability (or, perhaps in New South Wales' case, unwillingness) to control crowds and enforce social distancing measures.

Doctors in the media now openly talking about shutting down public transport.

Scenes out of Sydney have been particularly alarming, from the cruise ship to Bondi Beach to airport passengers openly bemoaning any lack of checks on arrival and comparing it unfavourably with the countries they departed from.

The Northern Territory has joined Tasmania in closing its borders.

Last edited by carcajou; Mar 21st 2020 at 11:04 am.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 11:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
Australian Health Minister Greg Hunt has now used the "L" word (lockdown), saying it may be necessary in parts of Sydney and Melbourne due to the state and local government's inability (or, perhaps in New South Wales' case, unwillingness) to control crowds and enforce social distancing measures.

Doctors in the media now openly talking about shutting down public transport.

Scenes out of Sydney have been particularly alarming, from the cruise ship to Bondi Beach to airport passengers openly bemoaning any lack of checks.

The Northern Territory has joined Tasmania in closing its borders.
I'm so over people just not taking this seriously. Friends who I consider smart still coming out with comments like 'We're nothing like China or Italy, just carry on as normal' I don't want people I know and love to get it but Jesus wept wake the **** up!!! There are three houses down our road who are having some sort of multi car gatherings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.