Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 21st 2020, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Ingles View Post
Bugger it !
The Government has "order" ALL Cafes CLOSED until further notice , my body refuses to start unless I get my morning shot!
Buy an espresso machine for home! I've never looked back ... and probably saved a fortune.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
I can't help but think that restricting commercial flights only makes much sense when the countries at the ends of the route have significantly different rates of infection, and that as most of the industrialized world appears to have around 500 cases, +/- 200, per million of population, that restricting people from moving between one country and another isn't going to make a whole lot of difference from here on.
But isn't the trip itself - hours in a confined space - something of an incubator?
Old Mar 21st 2020, 12:56 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

So as of now NZ is currently at 'Level 2' which means it should probably be at 'level 3'. IMO all domestic flights should be stopped, as that is how most folks move around NZ here, to halt community spread but what do I know. I know people here are not taking it as seriously as they should be. They all think they can flee to their bach or less inhabited parts of NZ. It is a land of a few million people only. It had the chance to halt and bunker down . It did not. Bah!
Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They had Toilet Paper at my local 'Sprouts' Market today (a sort-of reasonably priced Whole Foods) in AZ. They simply put it in the center of the store on a big trolly and let everyone grab it. 2 packages per person. I declined to buy any since I had a big supply since before this all started. This is a symbolic good development as TP seems to be the focus of everyone!

Note sure if I posted this already, but this was the scene in another local grocery store yesterday:

This isn't a cheap store, but my oh my - they have good stocks!
Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:07 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Goodness me . That is a lot of stock. We don't even have that here on a normal day.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:14 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
Don't they let you renew it online? I only do mine in person in the hope that I'll look better in the picture than my last one, yet somehow I always look worse.
When you get to a certain age you have to go in person ( not saying johnwoo is old but I think he is in that category ) A big reason is for the eye test I think.

They have allowed people to be able to drive even if renewals are due right now here in Texas. This applies to license and inspections.

Last edited by Sugarmooma; Mar 21st 2020 at 1:17 am.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Large supermarkets and stores such as Walmart are hiring staff. Hopefully this will put some of the people laid off back to work.,
And I still got rejected by Wal-Mart...although I am not sure the risk is worth it, seems like working in such an environment is just a recipe for catching this thing.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Goodness me . That is a lot of stock. We don't even have that here on a normal day.
My local store doesn't look like that. That is way larger selection and far more organized. I'll assume his store is in a wealthier area where mine is in a poor area which is why we lack fresh produce, it doesn't sell well since its more expensive.

Some grocery stores who do online ordering here are having trouble meeting demand, reports of first delivery/pick up being a week or more away, to orders being cancelled because the stores can't handle them all, to only part of an order being filled due to lack of stock.

Online ordering isn't exactly the solution everyone thought it would be, the demand exceeds any possible way for the stores to keep up.

Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
When you get to a certain age you have to go in person ( not saying johnwoo is old but I think he is in that category ) A big reason is for the eye test I think.

They have allowed people to be able to drive even if renewals are due right now here in Texas. This applies to license and inspections.
Let's just say I'm over 70. Renewal not due to until May 20020, and my wife in July. 2020 and no appointment available between now and then.
Ca DMV website is a total disaster. Full of misleading info and contradictions.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:43 am

Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo View Post
Let's just say I'm over 70. Renewal not due to until May 20020, and my wife in July. 2020 and no appointment available between now and then.
Ca DMV website is a total disaster. Full of misleading info and contradictions.
I don't think you need to worry too much!
Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

My granddaughter was working at a ski resort in Colorado, which has shutdown.
She is due to start a Park Ranger job in a month but I'm wondering if the National Parks will open?
Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma View Post
I don't think you need to worry too much!

Whoops 2020
Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

From the National Post paper in Canada, kind of scary.

"It took three months for the first 100,000 cases, but only 12 days for the next 100,000."

Old Mar 21st 2020, 1:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Fish, Chips & Peas are a thing, so no problem there...
No, no, no....you must have misheard or misread. Faggot, peas and chips are a thing.
As for gravy on the chips
At least we agree on that. And let's not mention Poutine.
Now curry sauce on chips...that's a different matter.
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Buy an espresso machine for home! I've never looked back ... and probably saved a fortune.
A guy on the Canadian forum had one of those. Doesn't it save money after about 10 years?

I use a Keurig machine and buy the pods (biodegradable ones) when on offer and it works out to 30-35c a cup and my MIL likes a weaker cup and re-uses them. It's a perfect cup every time whereas a filter method is only perfect about one-in six. I just bought a 72 pod box (on offer @ $26 and then $5 worth of loyalty points.) so I'd be holed up with plenty. I already had about 50.
Old Mar 21st 2020, 2:43 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
After the cruise ship situation in Japan, why aren't all cruises banned. And what the hell is it with people thinking it is safe to go on a cruise right now.
This particular cruise was already at sea when they stopped all cruises. They decided to continue for whatever reason. Wtf they let everyone disembark is beyond rational thought.

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I don't understand this comment at all. Are you talking about Illinois in particular? Online ordering is rampant here, as covered in detail in Sid-NV's thread and others.
Over here all normal online ordering has been stopped. They're doing online for special cases only. All on line staff have been transferred to night fill/shelf stacking departments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.