Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 20th 2020, 12:30 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Our golf course just had notice from the Government to stay closed at least until 15th of April.
This must mean the lock down will be extended at least until that day ....
Bit annoying being in the middle of selling house, buying apartment, preparing moving, all normally before the end of april.
At this moment, nothing happens (exept me having plenty of time preparing boxes).
Old Mar 20th 2020, 12:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Everythings seems to depend on where you live, Morrisons here is fairly well stocked apart from the toilet rolls, and there are NO queues, they should open more checkouts to avoid the queues there but apart from that all seems good. I will be going again tomorrow.
The major supermarkets here have very little on their shelves, for example one that usually has a huge assortment of different meats had 2 products left - chicken necks and 'beef hearts'
Old Mar 20th 2020, 1:05 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
The major supermarkets here have very little on their shelves, for example one that usually has a huge assortment of different meats had 2 products left - chicken necks and 'beef hearts'
WHAT?
WTF did they do with the rest of the chickens?
Old Mar 20th 2020, 1:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Some reassurance for mum and I when we went for her GP appointment, almost our entire family uses this practice.

Mum was told yesterday that she needs an urgent mastectomy. She listens to a lot of 'talk back' radio in the middle of the night, and had somehow got the idea that people over 80 would no longer be admitted to hospital for any reason as beds were being reserved for virus patients. Her GP soon sorted that misconception out, which is just as well because old-school mum believes everything her doctor says, and very little of what her daughters say Surgery will be within 2 weeks.

While I was there with mum my own GP spotted me and came over to talk. Last time I saw her was a few weeks ago when scouse and I got our vaccinations for our holiday, our next visit to her was going to be for our flu shots and for her to write us letters for our medications. She asked me if we'd reconsidered and I told her that we'd cancelled. She replied 'I'm so glad! I've been worrying about you two all week'. I've said it before, a good GP is absolutely priceless.
Old Mar 20th 2020, 1:07 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
WHAT?
WTF did they do with the rest of the chickens?
Snaffled by the ravenous hoards
Old Mar 20th 2020, 1:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Snaffled by the ravenous hoards
https://cookpad.com/uk/recipes/56567...d-chicken-neck

If you could get gizzards, you could make this.
Old Mar 20th 2020, 1:13 pm
Concierge

https://cookpad.com/uk/recipes/56567...d-chicken-neck

If you could get gizzards, you could make this.
Thanks mate but I'm not even going to look at that. Just the thought of offal makes me gag, I tried to make liver and onions one day for scouse and just couldn't go through with it
Old Mar 20th 2020, 1:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Captain Beefheart? Cool!
Old Mar 20th 2020, 1:17 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Some reassurance for mum and I when we went for her GP appointment, almost our entire family uses this practice.

Mum was told yesterday that she needs an urgent mastectomy. She listens to a lot of 'talk back' radio in the middle of the night, and had somehow got the idea that people over 80 would no longer be admitted to hospital for any reason as beds were being reserved for virus patients. Her GP soon sorted that misconception out, which is just as well because old-school mum believes everything her doctor says, and very little of what her daughters say Surgery will be within 2 weeks.

While I was there with mum my own GP spotted me and came over to talk. Last time I saw her was a few weeks ago when scouse and I got our vaccinations for our holiday, our next visit to her was going to be for our flu shots and for her to write us letters for our medications. She asked me if we'd reconsidered and I told her that we'd cancelled. She replied 'I'm so glad! I've been worrying about you two all week'. I've said it before, a good GP is absolutely priceless.

GPs are good. As are properly funded-healthcare services.

Glad your mum is getting the op.
Old Mar 20th 2020, 1:18 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Captain Beefheart? Cool!
Unfortunately no, just shrink wrapped chunks of bloody........gotta go
Old Mar 20th 2020, 1:19 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
GPs are good. As are properly funded-healthcare services.

Glad your mum is getting the op.
Old Mar 20th 2020, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
It's like windup, virtue signalling, and projection all in one convenient package.
And banned.

Kind of a perfect pattern really.
Old Mar 20th 2020, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Our personal current issue & concern is MrBEVS , the stinky old git. Or rather maybe it is my concern, He is a plumber and gasfitter. He is employed , not self-employed as it proved easier all round for us these years for several reasons . So far , despite there being a H&S officer and MrBEVS being the rep for the plumbing dept there has been no meetings or directives about COVID19. What to do . What the firm will do.
Nothing extra has been issued. Jobs do not seem to be vetted for risk. Obviously this isn't a work from home situation.
"Dear Customer whoever you are. Please bring your skanky sanitary ware to our front door and leave it there for fixing"

The Civil Defence work is one thing as he knows if he is called for that - which he could well be at level 4 - then he may not come home. He will have to stay with the team or a team member somewhere. His employment though is a difficulty. There is all manner of work that involves plumbing which does not involve contact . Commercial / New Builds however there is always the work that involves customers and their homes ,

I want the company to say or do something, anything, to show they are aware of the risks. So far it is silence.
Tough situation. What is your civil defence service? How does that work?
Old Mar 20th 2020, 1:37 pm

Annoying and disappointing Tesco food delivery outcome.

I posted on here last Sunday that I’d put in a Tesco home delivery order for delivery today. I don’t have a car so my normal shopping routine is small shops on foot maybe every three days, and a home delivery order every six or eight weeks, mostly heavy or bulky items.

i pulled up my order last night, in order to add a couple of things. Instead of being about £60 it was £25. Looking closer, I saw that they’d cancelled two thirds of my items as unavailable. And in fact, it was all the important things they’d deleted, leaving a few random fripperies. So, I cancelled the whole order.

Completely useless. So now I have to continue walking to the store every few days ...

We aren't allowed online ordering from supermarkets here in the land of the free, with the result that Amazon now seems to be out of most things. I go to a local non-chain grocery store here most of the time, and they have plenty of fresh fruit and veg, meat, milk and eggs seem to be ok, the usual no paper products or disinfecting products of any kind situation, little to no pasta, rice, tinned tomatoes, and very little laundry detergent.

Did nobody clean at all before this happened?

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Mar 20th 2020 at 1:43 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2020, 1:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Yes. Apparently they think people rock up not having a clue and then make their decisions based on how pretty the photo is.
That's bizarre. For all the times I went to vote there were always 'party' people there, but never interested in you before going in and only wanting to mark you off as having attended, so that later in the day and if you had 'promised' them your vote on previous canvassing, they needn't pop around your house to encourage you to come and vote.

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I go hiking every day on a beautiful trail for my daily exercise. 4 miles, 1,200 feet of elevation. ...
No pics?
... so for me, it's going to be neighborhood walks from now on. I did that yesterday and it was quite cool - plenty of space to avoid the 'space' of other people. I can easily find a good 4-mile neighborhood hike, but I'm not going to get that 1,200 feet of elevation ... sigh ...
Bummer. But can you have too much of a good thing?
This always reminds me of Sarah Miles in White Mischief.

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly View Post
We had to stop taking the stairs months ago in our apartment.
there is no elevator...
I was going to ask you don't get out at all, but...
Originally Posted by tumbleweedly View Post
...we can't get out because of sick and irresponsible young neighbors.
Do you at least have a balcony?

I posted on here last Sunday that I’d put in a Tesco home delivery order for delivery today. I don’t have a car so my normal shopping routine is small shops on foot maybe every three days, and a home delivery order every six or eight weeks, mostly heavy or bulky items.
Is a taxi out of the question? None of us drives so a big shop involves a return by taxi. Going too if whether justifies it.
We're probably lucky in that it's only $10CAD and that with a little 'targetting' we can save at least the taxi fare anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.