Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 20th 2020, 4:17 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Ewww who'd want to do that????
... particularly whilst toilet paper is in short supply!
Old Mar 20th 2020, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Sorry yes, I copy and pasted the wrong one for the lemon spray one and couldn't find what it contains online but looking at the bottle I have, the lemon is basically the same minus the ethanol which I use is used a propellant in the metal can?
This helpful post points to the EPA List N Disinfectants:
https://britishexpats.com/forum/mapl...930602/page51/

I see Lysol EPA #777-66 active ingredient Quaternary Ammonium applies to Human Coronavirus, contact time 2 minutes. Forgot my car keys, so will give them a squirt also.
A quick google for Quaternary Ammonium talks about Quats overkill, but when on the road soap and water is not always available. I figure 2 minutes Lysol soak, rinse down with water.

Old Mar 20th 2020, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv View Post
This helpful post points to the EPA List N Disinfectants:
https://britishexpats.com/forum/mapl...930602/page51/

I see Lysol EPA #777-66 active ingredient Quaternary Ammonium applies to Human Coronavirus, contact time 2 minutes. Forgot my car keys, so will give them a squirt also.
A quick google for Quaternary Ammonium talks about Quats overkill, but when on the road soap and water is not always available. I figure 2 minutes Lysol soak, rinse down with water.
That is a helpful list indeed. But my concern is, some of those things are probably great for surfaces, but damaging for direct skin-contact, etc. And many are probably poisonous or toxic, especially at the wrong concentrations. Eg, I heard that bleach can be toxic to humans if breathed in as a spray; perfectly fine if you apply to a surface. I can imagine some people applying these products to food prep surfaces at incorrect dilutions and doing all kinds of damage!

The biggest problem I see is, finding these products. Nowhere online seems to have them, and they sell out ultra-fast at stores. I did finally score some rubbing alcohol (91%) today (first-aid aisle), AND some aloe gel (sunscreen aisle) so I can make my own hand sanitizer. Now I have to figure out the correct proportions .

Old Mar 20th 2020, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

4 people so far of this family have died of the virus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/n...sPIeefyMAKRfDM
Old Mar 20th 2020, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
That is a helpful list indeed. But my concern is, some of those things are probably great for surfaces, but damaging for direct skin-contact, etc. And many are probably poisonous or toxic, especially at the wrong concentrations. Eg, I heard that bleach can be toxic to humans if breathed in as a spray; perfectly fine if you apply to a surface. I can imagine some people applying these products to food prep surfaces at incorrect dilutions and doing all kinds of damage!

The biggest problem I see is, finding these products. Nowhere online seems to have them, and they sell out ultra-fast at stores. I did finally score some rubbing alcohol (91%) today (first-aid aisle), AND some aloe gel (sunscreen aisle) so I can make my own hand sanitizer. Now I have to figure out the correct proportions .
Bleach is toxic, and if your working at a store and knock and entire pallet off the top and have hundred + bottles break, you have to call the fire department hazmat, learned that the hard way.
Old Mar 20th 2020, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

A new problem ... bored teenagers!

I go hiking every day on a beautiful trail for my daily exercise. 4 miles, 1,200 feet of elevation. Today, the trailhead was full to overflowing and on the trail, gaggles of young girls and guys. Clearly not paying any attention to 'social distancing'. I tried to give them a wide berth but this is a very narrow, steep trail and opportunities for 'separation' are few and far between; you really need to anticipate other hikers and accommodate them. Up until now, it's just been the occasional adult you pass, and they seem pretty low-key and sensible, but these 'young-uns' are clustered together and not making any effort to keep any distance from anyone. I'm sure it's all because they are no longer in school or whatever part-time jobs have kept them busy up until now ... so for me, it's going to be neighborhood walks from now on. I did that yesterday and it was quite cool - plenty of space to avoid the 'space' of other people. I can easily find a good 4-mile neighborhood hike, but I'm not going to get that 1,200 feet of elevation ... sigh ...
Old Mar 20th 2020, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow - that's pretty scary. Other than being a bit 'on the large side', they don't seem particularly unhealthy. I have this general notion that, if I get it, I'm healthy enough to deal with it but ... it does seem to be killing off a lot of people with little explanation ...
Old Mar 20th 2020, 6:03 am

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Re the list - you can put in a search for Corona and it will sort all the disinfectants into order for destroying that virus (you can also sort the time it will take) - Lysol Neutra Air® 2 in 1 seems to come out very well at .5 of a minute but seems to be sold out everywhere.

I found another list that may be of use (cross check, perhaps?)
https://www.nea.gov.sg/our-services/...on-of-covid-19.

Old Mar 20th 2020, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute

What a sad and unusual family tragedy. Yet with close large families there could be a lot more of these groups of related deaths as the disease spreads in families who are isolating together where one or two of them have to get out to work and bring home the food. Thinking about it, it may be inevitable unless, well, honestly I can't think how to prevent these kinds of outcomes.

Where will it all end?
Old Mar 20th 2020, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

tumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond reputetumbleweedly has a reputation beyond repute

A new problem ... bored teenagers!

I go hiking every day on a beautiful trail for my daily exercise. 4 miles, 1,200 feet of elevation. Today, the trailhead was full to overflowing and on the trail, gaggles of young girls and guys. Clearly not paying any attention to 'social distancing'. I tried to give them a wide berth but this is a very narrow, steep trail and opportunities for 'separation' are few and far between; you really need to anticipate other hikers and accommodate them. Up until now, it's just been the occasional adult you pass, and they seem pretty low-key and sensible, but these 'young-uns' are clustered together and not making any effort to keep any distance from anyone. I'm sure it's all because they are no longer in school or whatever part-time jobs have kept them busy up until now ... so for me, it's going to be neighborhood walks from now on. I did that yesterday and it was quite cool - plenty of space to avoid the 'space' of other people. I can easily find a good 4-mile neighborhood hike, but I'm not going to get that 1,200 feet of elevation ... sigh ...
Yes, keep safe by any means.
We had to stop taking the stairs months ago in our apartment.
there is no elevator because in this old building the stair way is curved and narrow. the apartment doors open right into the stairs on all 5 floors. This bulding was full of students many of them chinese and some have been up very late partying, coming and going all 24 hours of the day, so they are not the most careful or politewith some of the things they get up to.
Now all the Chinese students had left by mid February.

An elderly man who goes in an ambulance once a week has a top floor apartment and he always sits on our landing to take a lengthy rest whenever he goes up or down.

We simply have had to isolate already for quite a long time to avoid being in a 2 meter space with people who have coughing and don't appear well.

This too shall pass.
I'm just trying to live through it one day at a time. Enjoying the nightengale who has returned this week and the small episodes of sunshine beginning to make the days gradually a little longer atm.

Health and wealth be in your future everybody
Old Mar 20th 2020, 7:07 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Our personal current issue & concern is MrBEVS , the stinky old git. Or rather maybe it is my concern, He is a plumber and gasfitter. He is employed , not self-employed as it proved easier all round for us these years for several reasons . So far , despite there being a H&S officer and MrBEVS being the rep for the plumbing dept there has been no meetings or directives about COVID19. What to do . What the firm will do.
Nothing extra has been issued. Jobs do not seem to be vetted for risk. Obviously this isn't a work from home situation.
"Dear Customer whoever you are. Please bring your skanky sanitary ware to our front door and leave it there for fixing"

The Civil Defence work is one thing as he knows if he is called for that - which he could well be at level 4 - then he may not come home. He will have to stay with the team or a team member somewhere. His employment though is a difficulty. There is all manner of work that involves plumbing which does not involve contact . Commercial / New Builds however there is always the work that involves customers and their homes ,

I want the company to say or do something, anything, to show they are aware of the risks. So far it is silence.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 20th 2020 at 7:11 am.
Old Mar 20th 2020, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've heard, only alcohol works to kill the virus (and soap/hot water); hence my relentless pursuit of hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol. What is the active ingredient in the Lysol product you are using? These days, products/'brands' that start out with an 'obvious ingredient' (like Clorox, and bleach) end up with all manner products / ingredients that they sell, trying to leverage their name. Clorox is, in the US, somewhat synonymous with bleach but now they sell anything to do with cleaning under that name. So maybe the Lysol you are using is perfect .. but I'd be curious to know what it is under the covers.

And good for you for keeping up the deliveries, and making an effort to be hygienic!
Well, in Australia, where the government has dug in and demanded schools stay open, teachers have been sent advice by their Education Departments on how to make their own hand sanitiser as schools don't have any.

Indoor gatherings must now provide four square metres of space per person - this expressly does not apply to schools.

There has been, by the way, confirmed transmission in government schools, it has happened in Adelaide and the school was open again the next day.
Old Mar 20th 2020, 7:47 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Our personal current issue & concern is MrBEVS , the stinky old git. Or rather maybe it is my concern, He is a plumber and gasfitter. He is employed , not self-employed as it proved easier all round for us these years for several reasons . So far , despite there being a H&S officer and MrBEVS being the rep for the plumbing dept there has been no meetings or directives about COVID19. What to do . What the firm will do. Nothing extra has been issued. Jobs do not seem to be vetted for risk. Obviously this isn't a work from home situation.
"Dear Customer whoever you are. Please bring your skanky sanitary ware to our front door and leave it there for fixing" The Civil Defence work is one thing as he knows if he is called for that - which he could well be at level 4 - then he may not come home. He will have to stay with the team or a team member somewhere. His employment though is a difficulty. There is all manner of work that involves plumbing which does not involve contact . Commercial / New Builds however there is always the work that involves customers and their homes ,
and I want the company to say or do something, anything, to show they are aware of the risks. So far it is silence.
His company might be waiting to see what your government is going to offer (if anything) to compensate people to stay home. Small businesses can't take much of a hit compared to big corporations so every day they can operate until ordered to cease is precious. I mentioned earlier that the Hungarian Club in Regina (where I go for my after work beer) is closing this evening. I suspect they picked Friday so they can get one last day of revenue (the Friday buffet is very popular [pork hocks!]). Thursday we all sat at the same long table, but instead of all together, we sat staggered on either side so there was about 4' or 5' of space between us but we could still chat. The club where I work cancelled or postponed all shows a week ago, Including 2 sold-out events (ouch!) and our offices have been closed for a week, but because I'm by myself I can work all I want, and there's a ton of stuff to do. All the painting and deep cleaning I can handle, days of carpentry, whatever my debauched nature and arthritis allows. It's lonely, but I don't think the friends and co-workers that are at home playing battleships on their computers (working from home) are exactly enjoying themselves either. I've been taking it easy this week and just bringing in the mail, coming in to accept deliveries, meeting repairmen etc, and nobody's pressuring me but I hope to start producing soon and put in some hours.

Old Mar 20th 2020, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to panic buying, a small number of people could be accused of being irrational, and/or, irresponsible by originally buying up all the stock of certain things like TP. But what would any rational person do in response to that? Any rational person would see that products are disappearing and purchase those same products themselves in a 'defensive' manner, in case they also run out (or have already run out). I, for example, anticipated long periods of time at home and wanted to minimize trips out to the store (where you have to interact with other, potentially infected, people) so I did a mega-shop at Costco and bought as much frozen food (fish, meat, etc) that would fit in my freezer. Does that make me hysterical or irrational, or am I rationally reacting to what I see going on? I did NOT buy any hand sanitizer or rubbing alcohol, and now they are nowhere to be found after days of looking. If I do see it, I will purchase as much as I'm allowed to (which is likely only 1 or 2 'units'). Is that irrational or hysterical? (note, I saw a health official last night on TV saying hand sanitizer was one of the best defenses because you can use it while you are outside; you don't have to wait till you have entered your home for soap/water).
It's hard to believe that you are rationalising being utterly selfish. You obviously cannot see that if everyone behaved like you many people would be be pushed to support themselves. Fortunately not everyone is like you!!!!!
Old Mar 20th 2020, 8:46 am
Banned

The.Ghost.of... is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow - that's pretty scary. Other than being a bit 'on the large side', they don't seem particularly unhealthy. I have this general notion that, if I get it, I'm healthy enough to deal with it but ... it does seem to be killing off a lot of people with little explanation ...
... Ah yes, Steerpike, but be fair; - living in the US you do have a huge advantage. You're guided by a great leader who's directed anti-virus measures in such a brilliant, great & prepared way, that he's even now ahead of the pandemic itself.
I quote
"Now it's our time. We must sacrifice together, because we are all in this together, and we will come through together,"
"It's the invisible enemy. That's always the toughest enemy. But we are going to defeat the invisible enemy."I think we are going to do it even faster than we thought, and it'll be a complete victory. It'll be a total victory
."
You can feel comforted that you're not in a nation that has a wasteful & feckless national health service founded by socialists. You can sleep easy in your bed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.