Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:03 pm
Banned

The.Ghost.of... is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
Without wishing to speak ill (and the internet notwithstanding), I think I am in a better position to say what the term is in the UK, than those who now reside in places that have mangled the language......https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...lish/mincemeat or https://www.lexico.com/definition/mincemeat.

johnwoo is the closest, and the overall term "mince" IS used, but it is just an abbreviation of mincemeat. Pulaski and TGo are correct that the term ALSO applies to the dried fruit and spices mixture used in mince pies at Christmas. However, this latter is so called because it is based on the flavourings that were histrically added to beef to disguise it's flavour in the days before refrigeration.... hence the appearance of suet as a residual part, although these days alternatives abound as a result of pressure by vegetarians. Due to confusion amongst colonials, this term is the one "explained" ad nauseam on the internet, whereas its use to describe meat isn't.... because it's obvious

50 years ago, mincemeat was minced beef(ish) - a horrible concoction that was a way to market the residual tissue after prime cuts had been taken and sold off cheaply to those who could afford nothing better. It was a mix of offcuts, fat, other muscle, etc. - usually gave up vast quanities of liquid during cooking and turned an unappetising grey colour. Yum! (That's why I don't use it, ever) A mixture of "beef" and "pork" was not unusual and sometimes "mutton" too - and the term is still used by those of us who remember a world before mass media, the internet and all the wonders that has brought. Recent scandals in the UK involving horsemeat have made supermarkets wary of using non-specific terms too, so that the "mince (or minced) beef". etc. have become popular - and they are equally wary of mixing types of meat (although many original recipes were based on such mixtures). The law has also been changed to specify what may and may not be marketed using specific terms.... and, being the law, precision is everything. I belong to a time when few butchers knew anything of the law other than that relating to theft (and fraud, potentially).

So cheers chaps... I'll keep speaking English (or Hiberno-English tainted by 40 years in the UK) and leave you to speak whatever is the lingua-franca in your chosen abodes.
Ah! I thought I'd it remembered correctly. Go raibh maith agat macliam.
Now, how about trying "following the scientific advice" versus "Guided by the scientific advice"
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Your the only person I know (not that we really know one another but I am sure people understand what I mean) who seems to possibly have memories of WW2. Oldest person I know was born 2 years after the war ended, nobody living in my family or wife's family who were living during that time frame.
I know one. His mum was a keen sailor and lived on the south coast. She wanted to take a little boat over to Dunkirk for the rescue, but was forbidden because this was pregnant with this guy.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:09 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Temporary morgues being set up across UK amid rising Covid-19 deaths
says the headline - not that the Guardian is joining-in the hysteria fear-fest or anything.

Of course later in the article it mentions:
The death toll across the UK from coronavirus reached 137 on Thursday.
and as usual for the Graun, forgets to put any perspective at all on its hyperbole - like the fact that there are around 615,000 deaths per year in the UK - so this far into the year we would normally have experienced around 150,000 deaths, yet this 137 is somehow requiring mass morgues to be constructed already.

If we had a 10% increase in deaths - some 61,000 due to corona, it seems strange that the existing morgue infrastructure can't handle it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ovid-19-deaths

Last edited by Cape Blue; Mar 19th 2020 at 8:09 pm. Reason: add link
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:09 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
I saw some waffling about potential fatalities numbers many pages back, was there a number that people were coming round to as an estimate?
You can only estimate based on known factors - you should know that.

Current standings - Registered cases: 239,834, Deaths: 9,953, Recovered: 86,681

Well done UK for again coming in the top ten, seventh placed with 144, closely following the USA in sixth, with 171.
China has lost its lead to Italy, with 3405 to 3245. (Iran, Spain and France are the in-betweeners).
After these, all countries are reporting double-digit deaths or less.

HOWEVER - note the number of registered cases..... i.e. those testing poitive for COVID-19.
It is still very low, given that epidemialogical models suggest an ultimate 40-60% infection in affected countries.
Lots of time to go yetand both the UK and USA reported double-digit increases in deaths overnight.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:14 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The.Ghost.of... View Post
Ah! I thought I'd it remembered correctly. Go raibh maith agat macliam.
Now, how about trying "following the scientific advice" versus "Guided by the scientific advice"
I'd say "tá fáilte romhat!", but I've learned to my cost that I need to wrap that in Béarla

As to the latter, the first phrase would never do in today's UK.... it suggests believing in experts!
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:19 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
How old do you think most of us are???? WWII in Europe ended 76 years ago! You'd have to be at least 80 to likely have any memory of anything directly linked to WWII i.e. not the aftermath, with continued shortages for several years afterwards.
There was that Japanese soldier who surrendered in 1974, but that was still before I was born.

I saw some waffling about potential fatalities numbers many pages back, was there a number that people were coming round to as an estimate?
I've seen anything from 2% to 5%. I don't think anyone knows, especially with the lack of testing being done here.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
You should try reading the history of glue. You won't be able to put it down.
I will never forgive you for that one
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Your the only person I know (not that we really know one another but I am sure people understand what I mean) who seems to possibly have memories of WW2. Oldest person I know was born 2 years after the war ended, nobody living in my family or wife's family who were living during that time frame.
I know someone who was 100 a few weeks ago. He’s someone I know from the charity I work for here, he comes to the lunch club (or, came.) He’s a retired industrial chemist, he worked in research during the war.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:23 pm
Resident Cynic

says the headline - not that the Guardian is joining-in the hysteria fear-fest or anything.

Of course later in the article it mentions:

and as usual for the Graun, forgets to put any perspective at all on its hyperbole - like the fact that there are around 615,000 deaths per year in the UK - so this far into the year we would normally have experienced around 150,000 deaths, yet this 137 is somehow requiring mass morgues to be constructed already.

If we had a 10% increase in deaths - some 61,000 due to corona, it seems strange that the existing morgue infrastructure can't handle it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ovid-19-deaths
Ain't statistics grand!

As with all the numbers bandied about, the issue is that any deaths will not occur over the course of a year, but in a timeframe that would overwhelm facilities.
They can also be used by those who seek to downplay the seriousness of the pandemic by ignoring the fact that it has far from run it's course.

Even at the UK government's insistance at using bottom-range numbers, there is potential for deaths in the hundreds of thousands in the UK alone - and these would likely come within a year.

Not hysteria - fact and calculation.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:32 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

You can only estimate based on known factors - you should know that.

Current standings - Registered cases: 239,834, Deaths: 9,953, Recovered: 86,681

Well done UK for again coming in the top ten, seventh placed with 144, closely following the USA in sixth, with 171.
China has lost its lead to Italy, with 3405 to 3245. (Iran, Spain and France are the in-betweeners).
After these, all countries are reporting double-digit deaths or less.

HOWEVER - note the number of registered cases..... i.e. those testing poitive for COVID-19.
It is still very low,
given that epidemialogical models suggest an ultimate 40-60% infection in affected countries.
Lots of time to go yetand both the UK and USA reported double-digit increases in deaths overnight.
Indeed - low because people who think they have it are not being tested - I know two families on 14-day isolation that have not been tested and are therefore not part of the UK figures. Basically the figures on the number of people who have it are entirely meaningless.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:34 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Doesn't compare with the history of pliers. It's gripping.
I've just finished streaming an episode of Urine, but I've washed my hands of it now.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:35 pm
Democracy advocate

Ain't statistics grand!

As with all the numbers bandied about, the issue is that any deaths will not occur over the course of a year, but in a timeframe that would overwhelm facilities.
They can also be used by those who seek to downplay the seriousness of the pandemic by ignoring the fact that it has far from run it's course.

Even at the UK government's insistance at using bottom-range numbers, there is potential for deaths in the hundreds of thousands in the UK alone - and these would likely come within a year.

Not hysteria - fact and calculation.
Let's say it was 200,000 - so a 30% increase on a normal year - but wouldn't a sizeable chunk of those 200,000 be individuals who would have reported to the 615,000 anyway? i.e. of the 200,000 who pass away would not many of them have been likely to pass away this year regardless and therefore not increase the 615,000 by the full 200,000, but likely a lot less.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:47 pm
Resident Cynic

Indeed - low because people who think they have it are not being tested - I know two families on 14-day isolation that have not been tested and are therefore not part of the UK figures. Basically the figures on the number of people who have it are entirely meaningless.
But those hospitalized are tested, so registered cases tend to be the serious ones.
Let's say it was 200,000 - so a 30% increase on a normal year - but wouldn't a sizeable chunk of those 200,000 be individuals who would have reported to the 615,000 anyway? i.e. of the 200,000 who pass away would not many of them have been likely to pass away this year regardless and therefore not increase the 615,000 by the full 200,000, but likely a lot less.
Possibly..... but the top-end estimate would give over a million dead from COVID-19 in the UK. Would you rather thay prepared for the worst or whistled dixie waiting for chaos to ensue?
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3667.mov (1.31 MB, 10 views)
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a total grounding of airlines to the US/within the US might be coming for passenger flights. The US State Department issued a warning, they cannot help repatriate, if you can find commercial means to return to the US to do so now.

I have a feeling all flight to the US will be banned soon based on this warning and the wording.

The dr fauci is pushing for one according to CNN.

"The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19. In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. "

Seems like their way of saying get home now before you wont be able to.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 8:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Doesn't compare with the history of pliers. It's gripping.
You mean there's more of these?

I just made one up, but it might have been done before. "Drilling for Beginners" - I read it bit by bit so it wouldn't be so boring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.