Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 18th 2020, 11:35 am
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Mar 18th 2020 at 11:38 am.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 12:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We have been using regular bar soap for hand washing. Last night my daughter raised concerns that we weren’t using anti bacterial soap. Reading about this COVID19 is a virus, it is not bacterial, therefore anti bacterial products are not more effective.

i have been concerned about walking my little dog. I asked at the emergency animal hospital if dogs can pick up the virus on their paws/noses. The thought is they can pick the virus up on their nose but cannot pass it on and it doesn’t seem to be harmful to the dog. Saying that, I read today that a Pom in HK has died of the virus. Our dog is only 5lbs and can get plenty of exercise running around the house. We also have an outside fenced paved area.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 12:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
We have been using regular bar soap for hand washing. Last night my daughter raised concerns that we weren’t using anti bacterial soap. Reading about this COVID19 is a virus, it is not bacterial, therefore anti bacterial products are not more effective.

i have been concerned about walking my little dog. I asked at the emergency animal hospital if dogs can pick up the virus on their paws/noses. The thought is they can pick the virus up on their nose but cannot pass it on and it doesn’t seem to be harmful to the dog. Saying that, I read today that a Pom in HK has died of the virus. Our dog is only 5lbs and can get plenty of exercise running around the house. We also have an outside fenced paved area.
The Pom didn't die of the virus. They think it was stress of its owner dying. Animals can't get Covid 19. They can get other Coronaviruses and always have done but it can't be transferred to humans.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 12:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
The Pom didn't die of the virus. They think it was stress of its owner dying. Animals can't get Covid 19. They can get other Coronaviruses and always have done but it can't be transferred to humans.
I have been reading different opinions re the Pom in HK...so who knows. Yes that’s more or less what the vet doctor said...they can pick it up on their nose but so far there hasn’t been anything to suggest it can be passed on and it doesn’t appear to infect the dog.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

May be we should have expected a pandemic?
Old Mar 18th 2020, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
Despite the sarky comment it"s still hysteria!

It's about time it dawned on people this isn't just histeria.

Look at some of the legislature governments around the world are scrambling to get passed, the UK ,along with new powers to close schools, increased financial relief, has passed measure to speed up the paperwork surrounding deaths, and allow crematoriums to run extended hours, freeing up hospital beds, scrambling to get

You can compare numbers to whatever terrible incident you want buts it's pointless untill this is over.

It shows no signs of stopping anytime soon likely this will still be around for the rest of the year at least in some countries.

When the People who are effectively in charge of the strategy against Covid 19 are sound out figures like 20000 deaths being a good result, I'd you simply extrapolated that worldwide it would be an astonishing figure and plenty of variables depending on healthcare etc would mean that would probably be a very conservative estimate.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 1:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
I think we did expect it, didn’t we? It’s just that, shortsightedness, human frailty, whatever, it’s hard for governments to commit significant funds to eventualities that might not come to pass until the tenure of the next government ....
Old Mar 18th 2020, 1:32 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

The exchange rate of the £ is going down and down and down ... 1.08 Euro and 1.18 $,
Old Mar 18th 2020, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje View Post
The exchange rate of the £ is going down and down and down ... 1.08 Euro and 1.18 $,
Of course the markets haven't got a clue where to.put their money.

Incidentally it was around that figure last August.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post

Will probably eclipse ebola by the weekend......
Old Mar 18th 2020, 1:40 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
And other than curiosity by the patient, and being able to add more to the confirmed list, a patient with mild symptoms a test if of no medical benefit. Nothing changes treatment wise for mild symptoms, but testing appears to be more important in more serious cases so doctors can properly assess and provide treatment.

The less people going out the better, I wish at this point they would shut transit down, we are a high transit use city, so shutting it down would result in more people not going out.

By Friday I feel a lot will have changed in Canada when compared to Monday. I expect the federal government to invoke the emergencies act which became law in 1988 when it replaced the war measures act and has only been invoked 3 times, WW1, WW2 and October Crisis of 1970 so its a rarely invoked measure, if invoked will consolidate more power to the Prime Minister and Cabinet so they can issue executive orders and by pass the typical legislative process and will also allow government to mandate travel restrictions and public assembly and such, and also allow government to spend money outside of the approved budget.

I just can't see the government being able to function in a time like this without invoking it, using normal legislative process will take too much time.

Our Prime Minister is still in self isolation as his wife tested positive for COVID but as far as I know he tested negative.

I think the testing is most important in terms of being sure that someone doesn't have it, rather than that they do. For all the health workers, and people in other positions that are keeping the country and its infrastructure going, having to self-isolate for 7-14 days "just in case" is preventing them from doing the things that need doing.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post

Just seen this-----A little light heartedness!!

https://www.indiatoday.in/trending-n...865-2020-03-18

Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:09 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
We have managed to get air tickets to UK, at request of children who feared we might not get there for many months. Tomorrow and Friday.
(From the safety of West coast India home!!!) Now scared of potential flight cancellations at last minute. ....
Sooner or later, somewhere, you're going to get locked down and/or be stranded without air service - are you planning on staying in the UK for the indefinite future?
Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:21 pm
Banned

The.Ghost.of... is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
Despite the sarky comment it"s still hysteria!
You're just very Grumpy because if you go outside your maison today, the municipale policeman will shout at you to get back inside & issue you a fine....
Old Mar 18th 2020, 2:23 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Online shopping makes that so much more common these days.....
Lessens the impact though.

4 inches does not = 6ft
You'd be amazed.

Sports Direct and JJB Sports still have plenty of Man Utd shirts...
Someone had to say it

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Stuck at home, run out of games to play? Hope on to Steam and give this one from 2016 a go, it will take your minds off of things.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...e_Inc_Evolved/
Steam needs to have a quarantine sale. Or maybe for the sake of my bank account, they don't.

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
Spanish Flu was 1918, and the first cholera pandemic started in 1817, so this one's a bit of a stretch. Pandemics aren't the Spanish Inquisition, there are doctors and researchers working year round to try to get out ahead of new diseases, and to deal with all the current viruses floating around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.