Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 18th 2020, 5:34 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Tell us where you live goddamnit Steve.
straya
Old Mar 18th 2020, 5:38 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
My comment was more general. An awful lot of people post on here without showing any indication of where they are. This is fine when you are in a country-specific sub-forum (Trailer park, barbie, maple leaf, etc) but this is TIO which is 'worldwide'. So it would help if people in general would provide some indication of where they are based as it often helps provide better context. It's just a suggestion to make communications on this rather important topic more useful.
you'll be asking what colour I am next. It's a world problem.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 5:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix View Post

My friend's husband whom I've been staying with is going for influenza and Covid 19 screening today . He will get the results in 4-5 days. Myself and his wife (also a midwife) think he's got a cold but has talked himself into having something more serious. He hasn't got a fever, just a sore throat and he's only 40 and doesn't have any complicating conditions. At least if he dies, some of his best last days were spent in my company, what a privilege! *

* Of course, if he does die then I'll feel quite bad about that comment
This highlights one of the challenges here ... normally, I pay little attention to 'how I feel'. I have allergies, so sneeze a lot, and occasionally feel a bit 'under the weather' ... but I just ignore it and carry on, and nothing ever comes of it. But now, even if I get a slight tickle in my throat, I'm thinking ... is that a cough? could this be something serous ...? I was in a grocery store the other day and sneezed ... just an allergic sneeze, that crept up on me unannounced ... but OMG I felt so utterly guilty! All these poor people around me were probably freaked out! Can't blame them. So there's obviously some 'hyper-sensitivity' going on now that is just making things worse for the authorities to deal with - people presenting themselves with 'concerns' ...

Last edited by Steerpike; Mar 18th 2020 at 6:54 am.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

They keep saying over and over here not everyone needs to be tested, if your symptoms are mild and you don't have a dangerously high fever or breathing difficulties, to please just stay home and recover, those with mild symptoms do not need to be tested.

They are running critically low on swabs now, so they really don't want to be testing everyone at this point, they just don't have the swabs, they are trying to get more, but of course like anywhere else the supply is short everywhere more or less.

Some of the stores who do home delivery are having trouble keeping up, some the earliest delivery slots are a week away, others had to temporarily suspend new orders as the demand is far too high. The employment insurance website has been crashing, presumably seeing a huge increase in unemployed seeking help.

Old Mar 18th 2020, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
They keep saying over and over here not everyone needs to be tested, if your symptoms are mild and you don't have a dangerously high fever or breathing difficulties, to please just stay home and recover, those with mild symptoms do not need to be tested.

Logistically, I can see a huge challenge in testing. In order to be tested, you - the potential carrier of a deadly disease - has to drive somewhere, presumably get out of the car, interact with a number of people (name, disclaimers, etc), and then get an actual test, and then return to your car and drive off. You won't be the only person doing this so there will be waiting, queuing, etc involved. There would seem to be a very realistic chance of one 'actual' infected person infecting several other 'not yet infected' people during this process. They could, I guess, schedule each patient 15 minutes apart, or actively force you to stay in your car until 'summoned' ...

I saw something on TV yesterday that looked like a scene from the space station, with people wearing full-on spacesuits (hazmat suits?) administering tests in a temporary 'tent' like structure in the parking lot of a hospital (may have been overseas). They said the 'tent' had a negative pressure flow, and had to be thoroughly cleaned after each patient. This sounds 'time consuming' to me, and bound to cause a backup in the flow of patients ... who therefore interact with each other. It's just mind-boggling to think of the issues involved from start to finish, when you take into account the actual patients arriving and departing, and minimizing 'spread'. And - by the way - what a shit job for the medical staff ... spend your whole day working around people who may infect you with a deadly disease ....

I think I'll suppress my curiosity until I think I'm really, really bad!

Last edited by Steerpike; Mar 18th 2020 at 7:09 am.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 7:11 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B View Post
Superb
Old Mar 18th 2020, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

And other than curiosity by the patient, and being able to add more to the confirmed list, a patient with mild symptoms a test if of no medical benefit. Nothing changes treatment wise for mild symptoms, but testing appears to be more important in more serious cases so doctors can properly assess and provide treatment.

The less people going out the better, I wish at this point they would shut transit down, we are a high transit use city, so shutting it down would result in more people not going out.

By Friday I feel a lot will have changed in Canada when compared to Monday. I expect the federal government to invoke the emergencies act which became law in 1988 when it replaced the war measures act and has only been invoked 3 times, WW1, WW2 and October Crisis of 1970 so its a rarely invoked measure, if invoked will consolidate more power to the Prime Minister and Cabinet so they can issue executive orders and by pass the typical legislative process and will also allow government to mandate travel restrictions and public assembly and such, and also allow government to spend money outside of the approved budget.

I just can't see the government being able to function in a time like this without invoking it, using normal legislative process will take too much time.

Our Prime Minister is still in self isolation as his wife tested positive for COVID but as far as I know he tested negative.

Logistically, I can see a huge challenge in testing. In order to be tested, you - the potential carrier of a deadly disease - has to drive somewhere, presumably get out of the car, interact with a number of people (name, disclaimers, etc), and then get an actual test, and then return to your car and drive off. You won't be the only person doing this so there will be waiting, queuing, etc involved. There would seem to be a very realistic chance of one 'actual' infected person infecting several other 'not yet infected' people during this process. They could, I guess, schedule each patient 15 minutes apart, or actively force you to stay in your car until 'summoned' ...

I saw something on TV yesterday that looked like a scene from the space station, with people wearing full-on spacesuits (hazmat suits?) administering tests in a temporary 'tent' like structure in the parking lot of a hospital (may have been overseas). They said the 'tent' had a negative pressure flow, and had to be thoroughly cleaned after each patient. This sounds 'time consuming' to me, and bound to cause a backup in the flow of patients ... who therefore interact with each other. It's just mind-boggling to think of the issues involved from start to finish, when you take into account the actual patients arriving and departing, and minimizing 'spread'. And - by the way - what a shit job for the medical staff ... spend your whole day working around people who may infect you with a deadly disease ....

Old Mar 18th 2020, 7:59 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

There are drive through testing centers in some organized places you don’t get out of the car it was South Korea if your negative you get a text and positive a phone call. But they are way ahead of anyone in the testing area.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

This highlights one of the challenges here ... normally, I pay little attention to 'how I feel'. I have allergies, so sneeze a lot, and occasionally feel a bit 'under the weather' ... but I just ignore it and carry on, and nothing ever comes of it. But now, even if I get a slight tickle in my throat, I'm thinking ... is that a cough? could this be something serous ...? I was in a grocery store the other day and sneezed ... just an allergic sneeze, that crept up on me unannounced ... but OMG I felt so utterly guilty! All these poor people around me were probably freaked out! Can't blame them. So there's obviously some 'hyper-sensitivity' going on now that is just making things worse for the authorities to deal with - people presenting themselves with 'concerns' ...
It's called hysteria!!!! In this case mass hysteria. People need to get a grip themselves.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
It's called hysteria!!!! In this case mass hysteria. People need to get a grip themselves.
We have managed to get air tickets to UK, at request of children who feared we might not get there for many months. Tomorrow and Friday.
(From the safety of West coast India home!!!) Now scared of potential flight cancellations at last minute.
Just bought 8 bog-rolls to flatten in suitcase!
Old Mar 18th 2020, 9:40 am
Banned

The.Ghost.of... is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
... If you'll just tell the virus that, I'm sure it'll start to play by The Rules....
Old Mar 18th 2020, 9:45 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post

(pretty graphic of different diseases pictured as colourful fluffy balls)
Graphic is odd, isn’t it. The Covid-19 outbreak didn’t really hit yet. So why include it among other epidemic diseases from history? Apples & oranges.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 9:48 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Can we carry it home on shoes or paws?
Something I may have to consider, if I get caught outside during a full moon.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Looking at the dog sleep and play. Oblivious to the current events. Just living their life as usual. Good time to be a dog.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The.Ghost.of... View Post
... If you'll just tell the virus that, I'm sure it'll start to play by The Rules....
Despite the sarky comment it"s still hysteria!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.