Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 16th 2020, 8:35 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I've been nursing a cold for a week or so, had a few since December, which isn't out of the ordinary. I wouldn't be surprised if I'd already had it and recovered from it by now.
That's what I've been wondering about, my wife and kids went to visit her aunt in hospital few weeks ago and came back with something, they felt rough for a week with fevers etc, I blamed their shitty DNA as I was fine apart from having to take care of the whiney gits and spend a fortune on ice cream.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 8:37 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If I walk the dog and don't meet or speak to anyone am I self quarantined?
Old Mar 16th 2020, 8:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
That doesn't seem to be all over.

When we had the first confirmed case in NB (a returnee from France and not far from me) it was announced they had tracked the close contacts. Then a close contact of the first (likely her husband) was tested and confirmed. Since then another 4, all close contacts of the first. Only the first had been abroad. All have "mild symptoms" only.

In addition to the check of the contacts there have been 196 negative tests - no idea where or why.
Hmmmmm...maybe it’s just here. I know someone who was on a flight and on the same flight someone has tested positive for COVID19 2 rows in front. Was told to stay home for 14 days and monitor symptoms.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 8:45 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer View Post
That's what I've been wondering about, my wife and kids went to visit her aunt in hospital few weeks ago and came back with something, they felt rough for a week with fevers etc, I blamed their shitty DNA as I was fine apart from having to take care of the whiney gits and spend a fortune on ice cream.
It's always possible, but it's a hospital so you're always at a higher risk of picking up something when you go to one.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 8:49 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster View Post
Is it really possible to test 7billion People for Corona virus? By the time you finish the last it will be light years away and you'll have to start again at the begining. You can test too much it's about having enough to determine trends..

Having potentially hundreds of thousands of people walking around showing no symptoms is partly why lockdown won't work it's far too late.

A test is due pretty soon that will show who has already had and recovered from the disease this appears to be key to seeing how far has already apread.
Indeed - those who are deluded that there aren't hundreds of thousands of carriers out and about in most countries are fooling themselves. Herd immunity will save those who have real risks, we need to get the mass of the healthy infected and through the phases whilst keeping the old and infirm away. The idea it can somehow be held off until an inoculation can be derived is fantasy.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 9:01 pm
L/R

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury View Post
IMO Yes. .... You can neither catch nor spread the virus if you don't come into contact with anyone to catch it from or spread it to.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 9:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I told my daughter that we were doing the same and she hit the roof. It’s quiet around here, if we see anyone in the distance we move so we are as far away as possible. She said if we stay home there is zero chance of getting the virus. I see her point but it would be good to stretch our legs. Oh well the dog is only small.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 16th 2020 at 9:25 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
On the subject of TT hoarding, at first, a couple of weeks ago, I assumed there’d be a period of adjustment, then the TT would appear again. Apparently not - and I looked on eBay, it just seems to be an accepted thing now, here’s the product you used to buy in supermarkets. Now you buy it from online profiteers, for four times the old price.

Meanwhile, people who don’t keep a large stock at home (for instance, those who don’t have a car, or have a limited income) are literally out of toilet paper - to the extent that there’s an article in today’s Guardian, warning against using substitutes in desperation, kitchen roll etc.

How about this as an approach for Tesco, for instance.
- Only sell in one small size, 4-pack for instance
- Max purchase of one per week per purchaser
- You can only buy it if you authenticate with a Tesco Clubcard (to enforce only one per week)

That would ensure it got distributed..
How about if people acted with a modicum of sense? Then you could forget all the nonsense of rationing. Sorry, common sense and rationality! Doesn't sit well with people here.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

KJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond reputeKJMW has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really need an answer to that?
Old Mar 16th 2020, 9:22 pm
Banned

The.Ghost.of... is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post

US sales of guns and ammunition soar amid coronavirus panic buying

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...s-panic-buying
You can always tell when the US populace finally grasps something.
The first neighbourhood siege-'n'-shooting-wars should start soon;- down in Dixie-land probably.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 9:25 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
There's this little problem with ".... shall not be infringed." And the very underpinning of the history of that amendment was that it should not, and could not, be subject to suspension by the federal government declaring an emergency.
Which part of a 'well-regulated militia' do these people belong to?
Old Mar 16th 2020, 9:26 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
IMO Yes. .... You can neither catch nor spread the virus if you don't come into contact with anyone to catch it from or spread it to.
That is what I was thinking. As long as I stay well away from others I should be OK.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I told my daughter that we were doing the same and she hit the roof. It’s quiet around here, if we see anyone in the distance we move so we are as far away as possible. She said if we stay home there is zero chance of getting the virus. I see her point but...
I cross the road and keep the whole width between myself and others, if I see anyone else. It was like walking in a city with no people in it this morning. If I stay home the air from outside still gets into the house so I can't see what risk I take by breathing it outside. Not sure how I keep a Jack Russel in the house all day for several weeks anyway.

Old Mar 16th 2020, 9:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Well, this is a good point borrowed from a colleague who works in the UK branch of the charity I work for.

"According to No 10 announcement, pubs, clubs, cafes and restaurants are 'expected to close voluntarily'. Sounds sensible but what does that mean? It means it fails to trigger loss of earnings insurance which would come into effect if closures were ordered.
What Boris has done here is told everyone to stay away from venues whilst guaranteeing they will have no safety net. An announcement entirely designed to protect not people, but insurance companies.
Disgraceful, and hundreds of small enterprises will be the ones to suffer."
Old Mar 16th 2020, 9:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

That is what I was thinking. As long as I stay well away from others I should be OK.

I cross the road and keep the whole width between myself and others, if I see anyone else. It was like walking in a city with no people in it this morning. If I stay home the air from outside still gets into the house so I can't see what risk I take by breathing it outside. Not sure how I keep a Jack Russel in the house all day for several weeks anyway.
AGAIK the virus doesn’t float around in the air. When someone sneezes or coughs, the droplets fall towards the ground. Obviously if someone sneezes or coughs in the nearby vicinity you may be in contact with the droplets. That rears another problem...is it on the ground? Can we carry it home on shoes or paws?
Old Mar 16th 2020, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by KJMW View Post
Do you really need an answer to that?
Do I need an answer, no. Am I interested in others opinions to test my decision making by, yes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.