Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 16th 2020, 11:11 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post

UK plan in water buckets
NO - although the example is correct, the strategy is wrong because it's answering the wrong questions. This is why the UK is out of kilter with other states.

You do NOT address a virus by allowing it to spread unchecked.

A virus will spread whilst it has unprotected victims and, given the incubation period, we currently have no idea how many people are infected. Those people will likely infect their close contacts, as true self-isolation is hard to achieve.... so there will be a continual increase in infection.

Nobody is suggesting "quarantine" (even if this were possible), what is suggested is enhanced social distancing in order to slow, not stop, the spread of the virus by reducing contact with those who are infected....... THIS is the brake to drop the infection rate to a sustainable level from the current free-for-all - and epidemiological models show that the impact of dropping the infection rate in this way can reduce the cumulative number of infections over 61 days from 100,000,000 to 330,000 - the latter is survivable, the former is chaos.

The UK government has recognized that unchecked infection will kill many vulnerable people before any herd immunity takes effect – this is why they have knee-jerked into thoughts of quarantine for the over-70s - this supposedly removes those at greatest risk from the equation. The problem here is that the same issue arises as was claimed in the video….. as soon as the partial quarantine ends, the over-70s are at risk again..... all of them.

Last edited by IBShep; Mar 16th 2020 at 5:26 pm. Reason: quote formatting
Old Mar 16th 2020, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98 View Post
The FED has reduced the interest rate to zero. A bit of a worrying sign. A panic move on a Sunday night. Johnson should have lectured Trump on the immunity of the herd to keep him calm.
I thought Trump has been incompetent and derelict in addressing the situation but Johnson takes the cake for his Herd Immunity strategy. Just let the whole public get infected and hope immunity materializes ; what a elitist and callous plan. The well off have access to medical care. It is the elderly , especially the working and middle class who are going to suffer.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 11:35 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post

The UK government has recognized that unchecked infection will kill many vulnerable people before any herd immunity takes effect – this is why they have knee-jerked into thoughts of quarantine for the over-70s - this supposedly removes those at greatest risk from the equation. The problem here is that the same issue arises as was claimed in the video….. as soon as the partial quarantine ends, the over-70s are at risk again..... all of them.
Over 70's are the greatest at risk group BUT not the only group, if we want to stop it in it's tracks we have to follow China's footsteps. The economy is bork'ed they need to stop pussyfooting around the issue, I don't mind being cooped up if I continue to see my family.

Fix yer quote.......

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...eath-life.html

Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
I thought Trump has been incompetent and derelict in addressing the situation but Johnson takes the cake for his Herd Immunity strategy. Just let the whole public get infected and hope immunity materializes ; what a elitist and callous plan. The well off have access to medical care. It is the elderly , especially the working and middle class who are going to suffer.
Herd Immunity = feed the weak to the lions

Last edited by Chatter Static; Mar 16th 2020 at 11:44 am. Reason: Frollocks........
Old Mar 16th 2020, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philat98 View Post
The FED has reduced the interest rate to zero. A bit of a worrying sign. A panic move on a Sunday night. Johnson should have lectured Trump on the immunity of the herd to keep him calm.
I imagine he did, but it was too stupid even for Trump's tastes and he got hung up on. Johnson did lecture Scott Morrison about it though, which is one reason why Australian schools are still open (ScoMo said he consulted specifically about schools with BoJo over the weekend).
Old Mar 16th 2020, 11:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
My buddy is in Nashville. Apparently they've decided to close down all the music bars on Broadway; they've never closed before!
Not the same Broadway but "I've seen the lights go out on Broadway" is part of a song

Old Mar 16th 2020, 1:08 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The two biggest supermarket chains in Australia have introduced some welcome sanity into the shortage of basic food and hygiene items. The shortages are caused by huge increases in demand, they're not supply shortages.

Their supermarkets' first hour of daily trading is restricted to over 65s, people with disabilities and people on low incomes. Shoppers will need to show government issued ID such as pensioner concession cards and health care cards. One of the chains is also offering 'care packages' tor these groups, consisting of basic necessities. I think I read earlier on this thread that a couple of other countries are doing the same

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Mar 16th 2020 at 1:11 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 2:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
The two biggest supermarket chains in Australia have introduced some welcome sanity into the shortage of basic food and hygiene items. The shortages are caused by huge increases in demand, they're not supply shortages.

Their supermarkets' first hour of daily trading is restricted to over 65s, people with disabilities and people on low incomes. Shoppers will need to show government issued ID such as pensioner concession cards and health care cards. One of the chains is also offering 'care packages' tor these groups, consisting of basic necessities. I think I read earlier on this thread that a couple of other countries are doing the same
what a great idea
Old Mar 16th 2020, 2:38 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
what a great idea
It really is. But then you get humans like this. (Last reply is from me. )

Old Mar 16th 2020, 2:44 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Imagine packing your lunch the night before (or morning of) work because you bought everything you needed beforehand like a normal person.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 2:45 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Beautifully said MP!

I'm going to pick up my daughter early on Wednesday so she can do some shopping. She doesn't have a car and wheelchair accessible taxis are thin on the ground where she lives. I'll need to leave home at 6am so have advised her to have a bucket of coffee ready for me if she wants me to talk
Old Mar 16th 2020, 2:51 pm
Banned

The.Ghost.of... is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=macliam;12821562]
Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6t...Kk&app=desktopNO - although the example is correct, the strategy is wrong because it's answering the wrong questions. This is why the UK is out of kilter with other states.
You do NOT address a virus by allowing it to spread unchecked.
A virus will spread whilst it has unprotected victims and, given the incubation period, we currently have no idea how many people are infected. Those people will likely infect their close contacts, as true self-isolation is hard to achieve.... so there will be a continual increase in infection.

Nobody is suggesting "quarantine" (even if this were possible), what is suggested is enhanced social distancing in order to slow, not stop, the spread of the virus by reducing contact with those who are infected....... THIS is the brake to drop the infection rate to a sustainable level from the current free-for-all - and epidemiological models show that the impact of dropping the infection rate in this way can reduce the cumulative number of infections over 61 days from 100,000,000 to 330,000 - the latter is survivable, the former is chaos.
... Now don't spook the horses macliam...... Truth is the first casualty of any crises, and the UK Govt is, basically, still in long-term denial mode, dreaming of going back asap to business-as-usual. The fact that they're still talking about Plans & organising in "top-down-mode" demonstrates that.
This is just the initial wave of infection with, imo, virus mutations on the way.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 2:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Imagine packing your lunch the night before (or morning of) work because you bought everything you needed beforehand like a normal person.
I know I say it a lot but humans really do defeat me on a regular basis. Why would she even think that's a sensible question to ask? And someone liked it. Not been back so no idea what other comments were made.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 2:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Or just go there and pay an old person to go in and get it for you, just like cigarettes or booze.
Old Mar 16th 2020, 2:53 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Or just go there and pay an old person to go in and get it for you, just like cigarettes or booze.
Don't be giving people these ideas!
Old Mar 16th 2020, 2:54 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I know I say it a lot but humans really do defeat me on a regular basis. Why would she even think that's a sensible question to ask? And someone liked it. Not been back so no idea what other comments were made.
Some people are missing the little signal from the brain that tells them that maybe that might be something they should keep to themselves. Self awareness is really underrated.

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Do you want swarms of pensioners gouging people for a ham sandwich and an apple? Because that's how you get swarms of pensioners gouging people for a ham sandwich and an apple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.