Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus

Coronavirus

Old Mar 15th 2020, 2:58 pm
Banned

The.Ghost.of... is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coronavirus

The UK govt is considering informally asking its over 70's to stay at home in isolation, for up to 4 months.
That's the equivalent of an an 8 month stretch in chockey; - and you get free bed & meals.....
Old Mar 15th 2020, 2:58 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Cunard’s QM2 have abandoned the world cruise. All passengers, apart from those medically unfit to travel by air, are having to disembark in Fremantle.
The Italian cruise ship, Costa Deliziosa, docked in Albany Western Australia yesterday after changing its itinerary to avoid Asia. A mate from Albany rang to say there were about 3,000 passengers having a wonderful time in the town, which has a population of around 30,000.

Albany's Mayor thought it was great and the locals don't seem concerned. The ship left Italy on 9 January so anyone who was going to get sick probably would have by now.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:01 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
I'm imagining all the preppers fondling their freeze-dried food pouches and saying "I told you so" to anyone who will listen.
You have a wonderful way with words Lion
Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:01 pm
Preparing to move again

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:04 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The.Ghost.of... View Post
The UK govt is considering informally asking its over 70's to stay at home in isolation, for up to 4 months.
Have they given a Happy Birthday to You iterations count for that one?
Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:05 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
The Italian cruise ship, Costa Deliziosa, docked in Albany Western Australia yesterday after changing its itinerary to avoid Asia. A mate from Albany rang to say there were about 3,000 passengers having a wonderful time in the town, which has a population of around 30,000.

Albany's Mayor thought it was great and the locals don't seem concerned. The ship left Italy on 9 January so anyone who was going to get sick probably would have by now.
I really feel uneasy about the use of "probably"........ we know sod all about this virus.
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Cunard’s QM2 have abandoned the world cruise. All passengers, apart from those medically unfit to travel by air, are having to disembark in Fremantle.
I've googled but I can't see what happens to the underlined ones.

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

You have a wonderful way with words Lion
Cooking sherry is great for loosening the tongue
Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Received from my Mexican contacts:

Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:12 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Cooking sherry is great for loosening the tongue
I hope there's not a run on cooking sherry next, we'll all be stuffed.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:16 pm
Concierge

It's coming - sing until you run out of breath and cark it.

We were talking to Scouse's brother this evening, he lives in Liverpool UK. He's 72 with a heart condition, his wife is 71 and has diabetes. We asked if they'd got a bit of extra shopping in and were pleased to hear that they had. Four extra cans of peas but they weren't happy because the shop had run out of mushy peas, they had to get garden ones. Bless them
Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
I think some of you might not realize how quick a lockdown will happen if it does, here we went from normal to total lockdown in 2 days .I hope you all realize you need to prepare,the supermarkets are in turmoil you all need to get a little store because if it comes to you and have to go out you will be in a bun fight and face empty shelves.Everything here is shut except supermarket petrol stations and medical centers and you have been told to stay in. there police are out and stopping people.It will happen quick and you will be caught out please get yourselves ready and prepared it's coming.My intention is not to alarm but to warn you all get prepared
Yes, because governments realised from Wuhan and Milan that lockdowns don't work if you announce them 12 hours in advance or it leaks to the press the night before. It has to be instantaneous.

The irony is, the people who are going to be caught out, will be the ones who tried to be good citizens and listened to the government tell them not to worry and not to stockpile.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:22 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

It's coming - sing until you run out of breath and cark it.

We were talking to Scouse's brother this evening, he lives in Liverpool UK. He's 72 with a heart condition, his wife is 71 and has diabetes. We asked if they'd got a bit of extra shopping in and were pleased to hear that they had. Four extra cans of peas but they weren't happy because the shop had run out of mushy peas, they had to get garden ones. Bless them

Seriously though, I'm wondering about the practicalities of older people self-isolating for an entire 4 months. They're more likely to be the sorts who have the most personal contact and do the least, if anything at all, over the internet.

I think my Mum goes at least once a week to the Post Office to queue up for counter service cash withdrawal - as far as I know she's never used a cash machine in her life.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:33 pm
Concierge

Seriously though, I'm wondering about the practicalities of older people self-isolating for an entire 4 months. They're more likely to be the sorts who have the most personal contact and do the least, if anything at all, over the internet.

I think my Mum goes at least once a week to the Post Office to queue up for counter service cash withdrawal - as far as I know she's never used a cash machine in her life.
I know what you mean and it is a worry for those of us with oldies over there. Hopefully they won't be told they can't leave the house for any reason, even in Italy people can go out to buy food, medicines etc (albeit with some restrictions). Thing is, we don't really want them standing in queues either. A lot of younger family members and friends are going to have to step up, and there have been quite a few volunteer agencies started as well that can run errands, buy groceries etc. Brits are pretty good at helping each other
Old Mar 15th 2020, 3:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I've just ordered some Hobnobs off Amazon. They are available here but with chocolate on, which to my mind is just not right.
Also some Shippam's Crab spread - those cute little jars.

I fancied getting something in that I've not had in decades before it's too late

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.