Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Commonwealth v EU

Commonwealth v EU

Old Oct 10th 2019, 12:13 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Commonwealth v EU

Bipat, you are cordially invited to make your case. First, please explain when so-called CW FOM started and ended, and what level of free movement existed between the CW countries. Please explain in a few sentences rather than posting links (unless a point is being disputed).
Old Oct 10th 2019, 12:26 pm
Jigsaw

Location: Abertawe, Cymru, Y Deyrnas Unedig, Undeb Ewropeaidd
DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commonwealth v EU

Old Oct 10th 2019, 12:51 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Chew with your mouth closed! Love, Mum.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Bipat, you are cordially invited to make your case. First, please explain when so-called CW FOM started and ended, and what level of free movement existed between the CW countries. Please explain in a few sentences rather than posting links (unless a point is being disputed).
All citizens of the British Empire were British subjects.
1949---British Nationality Act.
1952 ---Commonwealth Immigrants Act.

The 1952 Act ended the automatic right of Commonwealth citizens to settle in the UK.

(At the independence of individual commonwealth countries they each made their own rules regarding settlement of British subjects into their countries).
Old Oct 10th 2019, 1:34 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post

The 1952 Act ended the automatic right of Commonwealth citizens to settle in the UK.

(At the independence of individual commonwealth countries they each made their own rules regarding settlement of British subjects into their countries).
If that's the case, no automatic right since 1952, and quasi rights for only three years prior, then I don't see why you arguing about CW FOM in relation to EU FOM. These are two separate issues and separate histories (70 years apart - almost a century, Bipat).
Old Oct 10th 2019, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Watchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond reputeWatchpost has a reputation beyond repute

You introduced into the discussion a Commonwealth country. Post 15290------Should we not reply?
I mentioned Mumbai in the first instance because I knew the city had a major overpopulation problem and I presumed you were familiar with it. I could equally have chosen Mexico City, or Beijing, or a host of other megacities.

There are however interesting parallels between the British Empire and the EU regarding freedom of movement, as the article I linked to shows.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 1:42 pm
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
I

There are however interesting parallels between the British Empire and the EU regarding freedom of movement, as the article I linked to shows.
In the process of reading it.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 1:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Watchpost View Post
I mentioned Mumbai in the first instance because I knew the city had a major overpopulation problem and I presumed you were familiar with it. I could equally have chosen Mexico City, or Beijing, or a host of other megacities.

The bit about turning citizens into migrants was also interesting and apt.

I remember people of my parents' generation complaining about how "now they all have British passports and can just move here" - and no, they weren't talking about the white settlers.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 1:53 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

So, prior to the ending of the automatic right of settlement in the UK, there were 7 members other than UK - namely Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka and the latter 3 had all joined within the previous 5 years.

Not exactly the most comprehensive of arrangements, especially given the comparative difficulty and expense of travel in those days.

I wonder what it was that occasioned the abrupt ending of it?
Old Oct 10th 2019, 1:55 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

1962, no?
Old Oct 10th 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
Chew with your mouth closed! Love, Mum.

Thank you.

Open-mouthed chewing should lead to automatic deportation
Old Oct 10th 2019, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
If that's the case, no automatic right since 1952, and quasi rights for only three years prior, then I don't see why you arguing about CW FOM in relation to EU FOM. These are two separate issues and separate histories (70 years apart - almost a century, Bipat).
They were not "quasi rights', the 1949 Act just put into settled law what had been the 'rights' under the Empire rule.

I mentioned it in relation to EU FOM to indicate stopping Commonwealth FOM did not end migration, or necessarily end good relationship with the countries.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 1:58 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
1962, no?
History nazi.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 2:01 pm
F.orum Ape

I mentioned it in relation to EU FOM to indicate stopping Commonwealth FOM did not end migration, or necessarily end good relationship with the countries.
Excellent straw man.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
1962, no?
Absolutely correct----choked on my cheddar cheese sandwich at my memory lapse.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.