British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Commonwealth v EU (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/commonwealth-v-eu-928443/)

Shard Oct 10th 2019 12:13 pm

Commonwealth v EU

Bipat, you are cordially invited to make your case. First, please explain when so-called CW FOM started and ended, and what level of free movement existed between the CW countries. Please explain in a few sentences rather than posting links (unless a point is being disputed).

DaveLovesDee Oct 10th 2019 12:26 pm

Re: Commonwealth v EU

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/me...Hj2w/giphy.gif

spouse of scouse Oct 10th 2019 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12746555)

Chew with your mouth closed! Love, Mum.

Bipat Oct 10th 2019 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12746548)
Bipat, you are cordially invited to make your case. First, please explain when so-called CW FOM started and ended, and what level of free movement existed between the CW countries. Please explain in a few sentences rather than posting links (unless a point is being disputed).

All citizens of the British Empire were British subjects.
1949---British Nationality Act.
1952 ---Commonwealth Immigrants Act.

The 1952 Act ended the automatic right of Commonwealth citizens to settle in the UK.

(At the independence of individual commonwealth countries they each made their own rules regarding settlement of British subjects into their countries).

Shard Oct 10th 2019 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12746584)

The 1952 Act ended the automatic right of Commonwealth citizens to settle in the UK.

(At the independence of individual commonwealth countries they each made their own rules regarding settlement of British subjects into their countries).

If that's the case, no automatic right since 1952, and quasi rights for only three years prior, then I don't see why you arguing about CW FOM in relation to EU FOM. These are two separate issues and separate histories (70 years apart - almost a century, Bipat).

Watchpost Oct 10th 2019 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12746573)
You introduced into the discussion a Commonwealth country. Post 15290------Should we not reply?

I mentioned Mumbai in the first instance because I knew the city had a major overpopulation problem and I presumed you were familiar with it. I could equally have chosen Mexico City, or Beijing, or a host of other megacities.

There are however interesting parallels between the British Empire and the EU regarding freedom of movement, as the article I linked to shows.

Shard Oct 10th 2019 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Watchpost (Post 12746589)
I

There are however interesting parallels between the British Empire and the EU regarding freedom of movement, as the article I linked to shows.

In the process of reading it.

Lion in Winter Oct 10th 2019 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Watchpost (Post 12746589)
I mentioned Mumbai in the first instance because I knew the city had a major overpopulation problem and I presumed you were familiar with it. I could equally have chosen Mexico City, or Beijing, or a host of other megacities.

The bit about turning citizens into migrants was also interesting and apt.

I remember people of my parents' generation complaining about how "now they all have British passports and can just move here" - and no, they weren't talking about the white settlers.

Red Eric Oct 10th 2019 1:53 pm

So, prior to the ending of the automatic right of settlement in the UK, there were 7 members other than UK - namely Australia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka and the latter 3 had all joined within the previous 5 years.

Not exactly the most comprehensive of arrangements, especially given the comparative difficulty and expense of travel in those days.

I wonder what it was that occasioned the abrupt ending of it?

Lion in Winter Oct 10th 2019 1:55 pm

1962, no?

Lion in Winter Oct 10th 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12746564)
Chew with your mouth closed! Love, Mum.

Thank you.

Open-mouthed chewing should lead to automatic deportation :frown:

Bipat Oct 10th 2019 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12746587)
If that's the case, no automatic right since 1952, and quasi rights for only three years prior, then I don't see why you arguing about CW FOM in relation to EU FOM. These are two separate issues and separate histories (70 years apart - almost a century, Bipat).

They were not "quasi rights', the 1949 Act just put into settled law what had been the 'rights' under the Empire rule.

I mentioned it in relation to EU FOM to indicate stopping Commonwealth FOM did not end migration, or necessarily end good relationship with the countries.

Red Eric Oct 10th 2019 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12746606)
1962, no?

History nazi.

Shard Oct 10th 2019 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12746608)
I mentioned it in relation to EU FOM to indicate stopping Commonwealth FOM did not end migration, or necessarily end good relationship with the countries.

Excellent straw man.

Bipat Oct 10th 2019 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12746606)
1962, no?

Absolutely correct----choked on my cheddar cheese sandwich at my memory lapse.:lol: