Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Commonwealth Day

Commonwealth Day

Old Mar 9th 2021, 2:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commonwealth Day

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
Who the hell is George Clooney anyway? I keep hearing his name mentioned but I’ve no idea who he is.
Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
That's because you've never been a teenage girl.
Nor have I and I always thought he was impossibly handsome. Swahv and sfisticated.

Old Mar 9th 2021, 2:43 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
To the idiots who try to mock Commonwealth Day and with it the Commonwealth, just look at the video.

Kenya on Sunday (2020( joined other Commonwealth countries in marking the annual Remembrance Day. The Memorial Day has been observed in Commonwealth member states since the end of the First World War in honour of the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty.

Kenya joins other Commonwealth countries in marking annual Remembrance Day - YouTube
Oh, too bad they declined that trade deal with the UK.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond repute

To the idiots who try to mock Commonwealth Day and with it the Commonwealth, just look at the video.

Kenya on Sunday (2020( joined other Commonwealth countries in marking the annual Remembrance Day. The Memorial Day has been observed in Commonwealth member states since the end of the First World War in honour of the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty.

Kenya joins other Commonwealth countries in marking annual Remembrance Day - YouTube

On rememberance Sunday in November.... Along with every body else who has lost lives in previous wars...

I wouldn't throw the idiot term around so loosely if I was you...
Old Mar 9th 2021, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
They will sort out the trade deal later!

In the mean time a combination of International women's day and Commonwealth Day in Kenya.

Secretary-General Receives Kenyan Gender Equality Award | The Commonwealth
Old Mar 9th 2021, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Should have used spearheaded by a select few Canadians as had he not come out with a comment about Commonwealth Day somebody might have complained. I suspect he said more about International Women's day yesterday than he would about Commonwealth Day. I guess a vast majority of 35 and under don't even realize Canada is still part of the Commonwealth or have forgot since they left school. yes we have a Lieutenant Governor and each Province/Territory also has one that represent the Queen but other than that most Canadians get on with their daily lives. If it was so important then why is it not a Statutory Holiday in Canada and do other countries have it as a Stat day?
Yes to wind Canucks up at times I tell them they are just a colony and need guidance from the UK on how to do things but really how does the average Canadian benefit from being part of the Commonwealth?
I would say the average Canadian doesn't benefit from it, select Canadian's might but doubt many average Janes and Joes benefit much from it, average Canadian benefits more from and more connected to the US I would venture. US has the largest Canadian population outside of Canada as well.

March does need a permanent holiday in BC as does June, maybe Commonwealth Day can fit in for March (good Friday messes March and April up, but seems to fall in April more often?)
Old Mar 9th 2021, 4:23 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
You have repeatedly spoken of international cooperation----the Commonwealth is an international society based on cooperation. ( The UK was previously in a compulsive relationship with the countries).
What an interesting statement.
Why is the Commonwealth based on cooperation?
I'd suggest that it had no choice originating and evolving as it did out of empire.
Imagine you are leader of a nation that, for whatever reason, has found itself part of the British Empire. By definition, your status would be that of a subservient nation of England.
Now imagine you're the leader of that same country now independent, no doubt through struggle, and invited to remain a member of the Commonwealth with an english monarch as titular head.
What do you do?
The Commonwealth retains the spectre of empire, but you are an independent nation. Surely a group of empire descendant nations can only retain any cohesion if it's understood by all that it's based on equality. I'd argue that it's because the Commonwealth arose out of empire that those who obtained independence must be treated with equality, history would dictate this. No independent nation could possibly remain part of a club where it's place is considered below that of any other member, especially the founder member, in fact it may be argued that confirmation of independence dictates demonstrable equality when compared to the erstwhile empire leadership.
So when you have a group comprised of members who prize their equality above all else, any agreement must be based on cooperation.
That doesn't mean that some have more influence than others, what it does mean is that such influence carries little political weight. It also doesn't mean that it'll be factionless, but again because the group evolved out of empire there can be no hint of empire-like coercion in it's deliberations, the membership simply wouldn't allow it.
Compare this approach to that of other similar groupings. Where else can you find such an assembly of diverse nations based on equality of all of it's membership?

Old Mar 9th 2021, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phathamster View Post
On rememberance Sunday in November.... Along with every body else who has lost lives in previous wars...

I wouldn't throw the idiot term around so loosely if I was you...
I am highlighting the power of the Commonwealth. Smaller Commonwealth nations know they have ideals the same as larger member states. There is a bond that goes far further than any other. One has to be an idiot not to realise that.

And I am not mocking everybody else, am I. Idiots ARE mocking the Commonwealth. That is the difference.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
But what has this to do with the Commonwealth? Has it been declined indefinitely? Don't worry about us: a deal will be struck.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
What an interesting statement.
Why is the Commonwealth based on cooperation?
I'd suggest that it had no choice originating and evolving as it did out of empire.
Imagine you are leader of a nation that, for whatever reason, has found itself part of the British Empire. By definition, your status would be that of a subservient nation of England.
Now imagine you're the leader of that same country now independent, no doubt through struggle, and invited to remain a member of the Commonwealth with an english monarch as titular head.
What do you do?
The Commonwealth retains the spectre of empire, but you are an independent nation. Surely a group of empire descendant nations can only retain any cohesion if it's understood by all that it's based on equality. I'd argue that it's because the Commonwealth arose out of empire that those who obtained independence must be treated with equality, history would dictate this. No independent nation could possibly remain part of a club where it's place is considered below that of any other member, especially the founder member, in fact it may be argued that confirmation of independence dictates demonstrable equality when compared to the erstwhile empire leadership.
So when you have a group comprised of members who prize their equality above all else, any agreement must be based on cooperation.
That doesn't mean that some have more influence than others, what it does mean is that such influence carries little political weight. It also doesn't mean that it'll be factionless, but again because the group evolved out of empire there can be no hint of empire-like coercion in it's deliberations, the membership simply wouldn't allow it.
Compare this approach to that of other similar groupings. Where else can you find such an assembly of diverse nations based on equality of all of it's membership?
(Not quite sure whether you are for or against!)
Yes, however all the member countries have 'evolved' and evolved differently, now any country can join. Countries can be suspended, one was suspended twice and then re-joined.
The association has evolved over the years but the principles of international understanding and peace remain.
It was not necessary that an English monarch would always be the head.(I was surprised when Prince Charles voted in as next leader!)
I agree with the 'underlined point' and surely such an association should be valued even if the 'principles' occasionally 'slip'.

Old Mar 9th 2021, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond reputePhathamster has a reputation beyond repute

I am highlighting the power of the Commonwealth. Smaller Commonwealth nations know they have ideals the same as larger member states. There is a bond that goes far further than any other. One has to be an idiot not to realise that.

And I am not mocking everybody else, am I. Idiots ARE mocking the Commonwealth. That is the difference.

The commonwealth has no power, it's membership is completely voluntary, it's council decisions non binding.

Its a symbolic organisation born from. the end of the British empire nothing more.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 6:16 pm
Frequently deleted!

Expatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond reputeExpatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I would say the average Canadian doesn't benefit from it, select Canadian's might but doubt many average Janes and Joes benefit much from it, average Canadian benefits more from and more connected to the US I would venture. US has the largest Canadian population outside of Canada as well.
Spot on! And not just for Canadians.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 6:30 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat View Post
(Not quite sure whether you are for or against!)
On balance I'm for the organisation. As you state, members have been suspended only to rejoin later so I conclude that there's some benefit that accrues to membership, and they've done so with so little political damage.
Others say it's symbolic with no power. Well I think we could do with a little more symbolism where, to misquote the BBC motto 'nation shall speak unto nation' without the need for the one to obliterate the other. I also think that it's because it exudes so little power that it's able to provide such a valuable conduit for communication.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Phathamster View Post
The commonwealth has no power, it's membership is completely voluntary, it's council decisions non binding.

Its a symbolic organisation born from. the end of the British empire nothing more.
And we wouldn't want it any other way.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 7:09 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

As long as it's all run by England. Otherwise, it would suck.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dave_j View Post
On balance I'm for the organisation. As you state, members have been suspended only to rejoin later so I conclude that there's some benefit that accrues to membership, and they've done so with so little political damage.
Others say it's symbolic with no power. Well I think we could do with a little more symbolism where, to misquote the BBC motto 'nation shall speak unto nation' without the need for the one to obliterate the other. I also think that it's because it exudes so little power that it's able to provide such a valuable conduit for communication.
Agree ----

Also those benefiting from educational scholarships, the communication between young people in many different countries etc. Commonwealth youth orchestra and choir, Various educational schemes.
Dealing with poverty.
Public Debt Management Programme | The Commonwealth
Economic development | The Commonwealth

The jobs associated with organisation not to mention the thousand jobs advertised regarding the UK (Birmingham) games.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.