Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Climate-change predictions

Climate-change predictions

Old Oct 21st 2019, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate-change predictions

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Absolutely.
Chaining oneself to railings; standing in front of a tank armed only with a shopping bag; poll tax protests; hunger strikes; chucking Tea into the harbour;....

All of those things a complete waste of time.
You forgot chucking yourself in front of the Kings horse
Old Oct 21st 2019, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
still wonder lf MJ is not the largest crop.
100%

Amazing plant even when not considering the medical and recreational benefits. Grows fast, uses little water, easy to manage, gives out more O2 than trees and you can harvest and replant 4 crops to 1 of pine etc. You can use it for rope, biodegradable plastic, fuel.

Its basically a wonder plant!

Damn those paper merchants back in the day.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 9:45 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
So every government, every organisation, every person should just stop trying and just give up? Ok then.
The UK isn't "every government, every organisation, every person".

Whatever the UK does will not really move the global warming needle, the reality is that government action that makes Britain or British people poorer (carbon taxes, no fracking, etc) in the name of global warming will do nothing to limit global warming and we would be better-off spending money on getting ready for what is going to happen.

Sure, British Govs and people can virtue-signal at the UN and in the streets if that makes them feel better, but I'd rather we got fracking and spent the tax revenues preparing.

Old Oct 21st 2019, 3:38 pm
A girly swot

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I agree about choices in supermarkets. We have the same here. It is possible to be careful in picking what products. ( No palm oil) To not use plastic bags. To try and source protein without plastic or polystyrene.
If you have land I expect you grow veg and fruit. We do.
My stepdaughter has 14 raised beds out the back and numerous pots for veggies, the odd fruit etc

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
We don't buy meat much these days as its expensive, but sometimes we do, but the stores make it so hard to avoid plastic and Styrofoam, all the meat comes pre-packaged at our local store, already wrapped, no butcher/meat counter.
That surprises me. Every supermarket here has a butcher/meat counter. I've never actually used it other than to ask if they have something advertised but not on display. I think they sell the more expensive stuff there. Oh...tell a lie...we did once ask for something that wasn't out and they had to cut something for us. When we collected whatever it was, it was packaged in the usual styrofoam and plastic.

Of course, it's not only how it's packaged but even though you have half a dozen reusable grocery bags with you, there's still a need for further plastic to prevent contamination of other foods. Unless you're happy to have it "straight in the bag" (in a separate bag) and then have an unusable reusable bag that's soaked in meat liquids.

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
You forgot chucking yourself in front of the Kings horse
Actually that was the first one I thought of. But when I looked it up I found three different descriptions of what happened so I went with chaining to the railings instead.

Old Oct 21st 2019, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
How does that work for you ? I have a renovated greenhouse but find it gets far too hot because of the sunlight.
Root veg sounds like they may be OK with care. Not sure what MJ is unless you mean weed. That happens here out in the bush. Police use copters to raze it.

What is hunted here are non-indigenous mammals really, although deer are farmed. There are tahr out there too. They seem to make good burgers. If you have a boar and want sausages etc it is best to also have a goat in the mix. Surprising what you learn.

I thought bears were protected . What species of bear then.
Elk make good sausages, you of course need to have a Butcher who knows what they are doing, no boar up here, nobody I know hunts Bear, not sure why you would.

People forget that the population of Colorado before the Gold Rush was tiny, water management schemes have made a difference but I can not imagine that the State by itself could meet the needs of its population, most food is imported.
Old Oct 21st 2019, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Safeway has a meat counter but their prices are too high for our pocket book.
Some Save On's have a meat counter, but tends to be smaller and only the higher end meats, with most meats pre-packaged.
Super Store is largely all pre-packaged and their meat counter being almost only Sea Food.
No Frill is 100% pre packaged with no meat counter of any sort, meat arrived packaged already.
Wal-Mart is 100% pre-packaged, no meat counter.

These are just the locations I tend to go to, there might be locations with better meat counter, No Frills if the easiest store to get to so that is where we go.followed by Save On sometimes. Safeway is too expensive, Superstore and Wal-Mart a pain to get to from our area.

We do use plastic shopping bags though and not reusable as we live in an apartment and its required the trash be in plastic bags when disposed of, so we can't avoid that, typical of most apartment/condo building requiring trash to be placed into bags before being placed in dumpster.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
My stepdaughter has 14 raised beds out the back and numerous pots for veggies, the odd fruit etc
That surprises me. Every supermarket here has a butcher/meat counter. I've never actually used it other than to ask if they have something advertised but not on display. I think they sell the more expensive stuff there. Oh...tell a lie...we did once ask for something that wasn't out and they had to cut something for us. When we collected whatever it was, it was packaged in the usual styrofoam and plastic.

Of course, it's not only how it's packaged but even though you have half a dozen reusable grocery bags with you, there's still a need for further plastic to prevent contamination of other foods. Unless you're happy to have it "straight in the bag" (in a separate bag) and then have an unusable reusable bag that's soaked in meat liquids. :

Last edited by Jsmth321; Oct 21st 2019 at 9:11 pm.