Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Climate-change predictions

Climate-change predictions

Old Oct 14th 2019, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate-change predictions

It is quite fascinating in a morbid sense, for example there is reasonable evidence that water or lack of has a major influence in what is happening in Syria and that the next major wars in the Middle East will be water not oil based. I know the UK has not been self sufficient in Food since Victoria, I grew up on NZ Lamb, Canadian wheat, well they have other customers now as well.

So yes there are similarities with past events but there are also different factors and so many factors that interplay.

I am a firm believer that my life span has been an aberration, and that there will and has to be corrections, now quite what they will be and how they will feed in is anybody guess.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
Trouble is Gordon that our way of life has repercussions in places you wouldn't expect. Are you aware of the animals dying in their thousands because they're starving to death due to their stomachs being filled with plastic? The deforestation in the Amazon, the ever growing list of species going extinct on a daily basis. No disrespect Gordon but you need to get out more.
Fair enough, Steve... But I carefully called this thread "Climate-change predictions"; and plastics consumption and deforestation don't readily come under the heading of the title. I probably should get out more, but this afternoon I've been confined to my house checking on the dictionary meanings of words like "climate", "change" and "predictions". Cheers.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 3:51 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
Fair enough, Steve... But I carefully called this thread "Climate-change predictions"; and plastics consumption and deforestation don't readily come under the heading of the title. I probably should get out more, but this afternoon I've been confined to my house checking on the dictionary meanings of words like "climate", "change" and "predictions". Cheers.
My first reply was about climate change and you told me it was bullshit. If you don't want someone else's point of view, then why ask for it?
Isnt it all tied in? Perhaps you should read a little more

Last edited by stevenglish1; Oct 14th 2019 at 4:04 am.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt it all tied in? Perhaps you should read a little more
I don't think so, but maybe you're right. I'm not a climate-change expert. Explain to me how plastics-use affects the climate, one way or the other. Also the rain forests... I don't think of them as affecting climate either, except in their immediate vicinity.
Steve, I'm not looking for a fight, really I'm not. I meant "bullshit" in the nicest possible way, I assure you. And I assume you meant that the planet is ****ed in the nicest possible way.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 4:40 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think so, but maybe you're right. I'm not a climate-change expert. Explain to me how plastics-use affects the climate, one way or the other. Also the rain forests... I don't think of them as affecting climate either, except in their immediate vicinity.
Steve, I'm not looking for a fight, really I'm not. I meant "bullshit" in the nicest possible way, I assure you. And I assume you meant that the planet is ****ed in the nicest possible way.
Maybe I might suggest then that you refrain from using words like bullshit in your replies. At every stage in a piece of plastics life span it emits carbon dioxide, from making it out of fossil fuels to incinerating it or slowly degrading over 400 years in an ocean or land fill. In 50 years time plastics will be responsible for some 13% of world carbon emissions. By this time the rain forests will have about 50 years left before they are gone entirely. So not only are we increasing our carbon emissions, we are destroying the planets ability to compensate ( you are aware of the relationship yes?) So it is all intertwined, the same thing that's choking our seas is choking our skies, in other words, our climate. It's not just about weather patterns, you're aware that water expands when it warms up ?
Old Oct 14th 2019, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe I might suggest then that you refrain from using words like bullshit in your replies.
Actually, I rarely venture into the TIO arena because of the filthy language and unwarranted aggression of some of the contributors. Almost all on my "Ignore" list are TIO regulars, who irritate me intensely with all their effing and blinding. So it's ironic that I've now been outed by you as one of the offenders. Sigh...

As for the effect of plastics on climate-change, I gather that you're a member of the global-warming brigade. That's a pity. I lean towards the global-cooling camp, myself. But then, I conclude (from all my reading, you know...) that the cause of our world's climate-change is the sun - and that the best way to minimise the sun's influence would be to move the earth a bit further away. Until that happens, we may well be stuck with climate-change, which is a crying shame. It goes without saying that the idea of man-made climate-change is - well, I'd say laughable bullshit, if I could do so without giving offence.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 5:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

As for the effect of plastics on climate-change, I gather that you're a member of the global-warming brigade. That's a pity. I lean towards the global-cooling camp, myself. But then, I conclude (from all my reading, you know...) that the cause of our world's climate-change is the sun - and that the best way to minimise the sun's influence would be to move the earth a bit further away. Until that happens, we may well be stuck with climate-change, which is a crying shame. It goes without saying that the idea of man-made climate-change is - well, I'd say laughable bullshit, if I could do so without giving offence.
This might be a good source to start with Gordon. https://www.edf.org/climate/9-ways-w...climate-change
Old Oct 14th 2019, 5:27 am
idealist

Actually, I rarely venture into the TIO arena because of the filthy language and unwarranted aggression of some of the contributors. Almost all on my "Ignore" list are TIO regulars, who irritate me intensely with all their effing and blinding. So it's ironic that I've now been outed by you as one of the offenders. Sigh...

It's far easier to deny it's existence than to acknowledge it and admit your own part in it I suppose. Also how do you combat your global cooling by moving further away from the sun? I'm no expert, but.....
Old Oct 14th 2019, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
This might be a good source to start with Gordon. https://www.edf.org/climate/9-ways-w...climate-change
Thanks, spouse. It's certainly hard to argue with "tens of thousands of scientists", especially if they're all experts in climate-change! But people's opinions (including the opinions of scientists who are NOT experts in climate-change) are usually influenced by what they read. For instance, I find this site interesting (link below). I've no idea how many climate-change experts Mr Watts is in contact with, or how expert they are. I've certainly no way of checking his claims. Well, none of us do, really. We all tend to believe people's claims without checking such things, don't we? So. In the end, we know nothing, but believe plenty. A bit like religion. And American politics!
https://wattsupwiththat.com/climate-fail-files/
Old Oct 14th 2019, 8:02 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

... I lean towards the global-cooling camp, myself. But then, I conclude (from all my reading, you know...) that the cause of our world's climate-change is the sun - and that the best way to minimise the sun's influence would be to move the earth a bit further away. Until that happens, we may well be stuck with climate-change, which is a crying shame. It goes without saying that the idea of man-made climate-change is - well, I'd say laughable bullshit, if I could do so without giving offence.
...I'm not a climate-change expert...
You're not kidding there are you.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el collado kid View Post
Went to the nissan garage the other day thinking of trading in diesel xtrail for elec or hibrid do not make them went to supermarket plastic packaging and bags .If things are not changed at point of sale will things ever change not in the short term.
Do realise that the carbon footprint of a new electric car is similar to that of a internal combustion car at the end of its life? Yes they are 'green' during their lifetime (which if considering the batteries and cost to replace is relatively short) but the environmental damage done during extraction of the elements required to construct those batteries is horrific! Currently a small engine economical internal combustion engine is still far better for the environment in the long run.

The problem with climate change is all the conflicting data and the mess we have sorting the truth from the rest.

Having studied climate change during the Quaternary geology element of my geology degree I have some basic knowledge of these conflicts.

One of the main ones is funding. Scientists love to do studies and to do those they need funding. As such, you'll rarely find a scientist who doesn't keep their findings a bit overly pessimistic / optimistic just so they can land themselves more funding to undertake further studies. Then you have to consider who is giving the funding in the first place and what their reasons / agenda is for doing so is. Don't believe for a minute that the funder will not direct the findings of the fundee if they are not fitting within their agenda. For example, this can be perfectly seen in several recent 'studies' that states vaping is very dangerous'. These were all undertaken by suitably qualified experts, however, they were funded by big tobacco..... read their reports and its death in a cloud. Read others such as those undertaken by the British Surgeon General and its "95% less harmful". That's a big swing in opinion.

As such, whatever studies you are reading its important that you read and understand the content, and then read several more from different sources before you make an informed decision.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post
Do realise that the carbon footprint of a new electric car is similar to that of a internal combustion car at the end of its life? Yes they are 'green' during their lifetime (which if considering the batteries and cost to replace is relatively short) but the environmental damage done during extraction of the elements required to construct those batteries is horrific! Currently a small engine economical internal combustion engine is still far better for the environment in the long run.
I would love to see the lifetime carbon footprint expressed in passenger miles of the boat Greta Thunberg used on her recent Atlantic trip compared with that of the Airbus 380 I recently travelled to and from the USA on.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Oct 14th 2019 at 10:21 am.
Old Oct 14th 2019, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Unless 6 billion of us cark it and each get reincarnated as ten trees, then the planet is royally ****ed
Only yesterday I expressed to someone that if everyone born on Sunday through Friday was topped leaving only those born on Saturday the world might stand a chance.But he said I was biased
Old Oct 14th 2019, 10:36 am
idealist

Originally Posted by Fredbargate View Post
Only yesterday I expressed to someone that if everyone born on Sunday through Friday was topped leaving only those born on Saturday the world might stand a chance.But he said I was biased
I'm with them, should be a Tuesday 😂😂
​​​​​​
Old Oct 14th 2019, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Climate-change predictions

Originally Posted by jam25mack View Post

The problem with climate change is all the conflicting data and the mess we have sorting the truth from the rest.

Having studied climate change during the Quaternary geology element of my geology degree I have some basic knowledge of these conflicts.

One of the main ones is funding. Scientists love to do studies and to do those they need funding. As such, you'll rarely find a scientist who doesn't keep their findings a bit overly pessimistic / optimistic just so they can land themselves more funding to undertake further studies. Then you have to consider who is giving the funding in the first place and what their reasons / agenda is for doing so is. Don't believe for a minute that the funder will not direct the findings of the fundee if they are not fitting within their agenda. For example, this can be perfectly seen in several recent 'studies' that states vaping is very dangerous'. These were all undertaken by suitably qualified experts, however, they were funded by big tobacco..... read their reports and its death in a cloud. Read others such as those undertaken by the British Surgeon General and its "95% less harmful". That's a big swing in opinion.

As such, whatever studies you are reading its important that you read and understand the content, and then read several more from different sources before you make an informed decision.
Yes the car sales man said as much the modern diesel is one of the cleanest ever.And what you said about electric engine is true to. why are governments pushing electric cars and the diesel is the devil .I live in Spain and there is no incentive for solar why not, year round sun no wind farms, in our area plenty of free wind.I am not convinced by all concerns but you buy with the buck in your pocket and what suits you best at the time then the government change the rules and the cost is down to us all. And i do agree with your funding for scientists, we get hit with all these taxes which the government pockets and gives very little to them and i feel we are all cash cows for our governments to milk it is difficult situation which becomes very tedious at times. i did enjoy your post, makes you think thank you

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.