Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Climate change.

Climate change.

Old Sep 15th 2020, 7:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate change.

It's almost impossible to tell any more what's satire and what isn't.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Very useful if the police ever ask you where you were at a particular time and date. On the other hand, what if "they" tamper with the data and make it appear you really were at the crime scene?
I became rather fascinated by how all this worked, since I had NOT used GPS on most of these days. I couldn't understand how they could know where I was based solely on cell-tower information, which is obviously going to contribute but not with great accuracy. Turns out every home WiFi / Wireless Access Point broadcasts additional information that Google tracks, and then they use all manner of cross-reference info to assign a home address to that signal. For example - Google Street View is created by a special car with cameras driving down your street. It turns out those cars ALSO track any wifi signals they can pick up in the street, and correlate the two. So when you walk down the street, your phone sees that wifi signal and Google cross-references it to the address it has 'on file' for it. But it's not 100% accurate, and when I visit the grocery store, it incorrectly assigns to visit to the pet store next door, or the hospital across the street. Perfectly understandable, but - it has apparently led to marital strife when some guy visits the hardware store but it shows on the timeline as a visit to the house next door!
Old Sep 15th 2020, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
There are over 1,400 dams in California, 800 in Oregon, 1,100 in Washington. The reclaimed water was supposed to go to small farmers but through various shenanigans, ended up being given to major agricultural operations at give-away prices, which is why you now have massive 'farms' in the Central Valley of California able to waste vast amounts of water growing inefficient crops.
Like growing monsoon crops such as rice in what is essentially a desert. Absolute madness.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 7:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Surely is getting that way. I had to double check the link to make sure, because it was actually for a moment believable that he would say something like that.

Old Sep 15th 2020, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Like growing monsoon crops such as rice in what is essentially a desert. Absolute madness.

Almonds are pretty water intensive as well, and guess who produces most of the worlds almonds, California and by a very margin margin compared to the 2nd biggest producer. Funny thing people buy almond milk because its apparently better overall for the environment, but I wonder how many people realize how much water is takes to not only produce the almond, but also the water used to make the almond beverage.

82% of the worlds almonds are produced in California.
98% of US's pistachios come from California
99% of US's walnuts come from California

These are also the 3 most water intensive nuts you can buy.

Old Sep 15th 2020, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Surely is getting that way. I had to double check the link to make sure, because it was actually for a moment believable that he would say something like that.
You could say, Trump has ruined Satire for the world! I too had to double-check to make sure!

"WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Blasting “dumb scientists for not thinking of this before,” Donald J. Trump said that the planet would cool down “right away” if everyone would just turn on the air-conditioning.

“Scientists go around with their lab coats and test tubes and act like the planet is burning up,” he said. “I guess those beauties have never thought of turning on the A.C.”

“Air-conditioning is the answer,” he said. “It’s the hydroxychloroquine of climate.”
“Let’s say two billion people each turned down the A.C. four degrees,” he said. “Just like that, the planet would be eight billion degrees cooler.”"

Of course, he's all wrong. He forgot to mention that this only works IF YOU OPEN YOUR WINDOWS - to let the cold out!
Old Sep 15th 2020, 9:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, he's all wrong. He forgot to mention that this only works IF YOU OPEN YOUR WINDOWS - to let the cold out!

Old Sep 15th 2020, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Almonds are pretty water intensive as well, and guess who produces most of the worlds almonds, California and by a very margin margin compared to the 2nd biggest producer. Funny thing people buy almond milk because its apparently better overall for the environment, but I wonder how many people realize how much water is takes to not only produce the almond, but also the water used to make the almond beverage.

82% of the worlds almonds are produced in California.
98% of US's pistachios come from California
99% of US's walnuts come from California

These are also the 3 most water intensive nuts you can buy.

I tend to buy hazelnuts and brazil buts for this specific reason.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In 2017 when driving from BC to So. California, driving down I-5 through some of the almond growing areas, it was evident at that time those trees cannot live in that area without humans based on how many fields of trees were sitting there dead, I assume based on the signs saying No Water = No Jobs and something about politicians creating a water crises, and something about congress creating a dust bowl, I assume there was a shortage of water to these farms, it was an interesting experiencing driving through that part of California, it's clearly very red still in some parts.

Old Sep 15th 2020, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In 2017 when driving from BC to So. California, driving down I-5 through some of the almond growing areas, it was evident at that time those trees cannot live in that area without humans based on how many fields of trees were sitting there dead, I assume based on the signs saying No Water = No Jobs and something about politicians creating a water crises, and something about congress creating a dust bowl, I assume there was a shortage of water to these farms, it was an interesting experiencing driving through that part of California, it's clearly very red still in some parts.
Nunes' district is in the Central Valley and, yes, many of the remaining Republican House seats are in that area. I did canvassing in a Central Valley district in '18 and helped get the seat to turn blue. It was an interesting experience.

The water/jobs stuff is essentially nonsense. Water usage in the Central Valley is so profligate - largely because of historic water rights at cheap prices and the continual lowering of the water table - that the emphasis ought to be on sustainable agricultural practices instead of growing stuff that absolutely shouldn't be grown there.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 1:06 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I haves the excess of schadenfreude right now

"Oregon state senator who stopped climate change vote loses home to wildfire" this included money to fight forest fires.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...e-b448017.html
Old Sep 16th 2020, 1:32 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post

"Oregon state senator who stopped climate change vote loses home to wildfire" this included money to fight forest fires.

Think he'll make any kind of connection?
Old Sep 16th 2020, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post

That is rather delicious ...

Do you happen to know ... is that technique (not showing up, to avoid a quorum) available to all legislatures around the country, or is this some weird Oregon-only thing? I'm wondering why I haven't heard more about it.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 4:51 am
Fair and balanced

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

That is rather delicious ...

Do you happen to know ... is that technique (not showing up, to avoid a quorum) available to all legislatures around the country, or is this some weird Oregon-only thing? I'm wondering why I haven't heard more about it.
I don't know but I would assume they all require a quorum, it might take a bit of an effort though, if my memory is right Oregon sent police to bring them back, under what rule or law I don't know, they went in to actual hiding. Not everyone is up for that effort.
Old Sep 16th 2020, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The biggest crop in CA, by water-use, is ... alfalfa. And much of it is shipped off to the Middle East and Japan, for use as animal feed. This local news article explains how massive alfalfa (aka hay) farms are being bought and operated by middle-eastern owners, so they can better control the crop that they use.
https://www.desertsun.com/story/news...ert/702400001/

Booming demand for hay in Asia, Middle East driving agribusiness in the California desert

"Much of the hay is bound for the Port of Long Beach, where it’s loaded onto ships and dispatched across the Pacific — to Japan, China and Korea, and farther away to Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and other countries."
"...because the U.S. imports so many manufactured products from Asia, the large numbers of shipping containers left empty in the ports make the return shipping costs to Asia extraordinarily cheap. So cheap, in fact, that farmers say it costs less to ship hay to China than to haul the same load by truck to dairies 400 miles away in California’s San Joaquin Valley."
And while we struggle with an ever-growing drought, and diminishing underground water reserves,
"...the company grows hay for cows in its dairy in Saudi Arabia, where the monarchy has set a policy of growing less alfalfa, wheat and corn to reduce pumping of groundwater from the depleted aquifers of the Arabian Peninsula. "

Interesting stats about CA's agriculture here - and here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.