Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Climate change.

Climate change.

Old Sep 14th 2020, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate change.

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
In fact, when thinking about BLM just yesterday, I was confusing the role of BLM with BOR - it was BOR that built a lot of the big dams, not BLM.
Yes, that's true. However, BLM manages a lot of dam sites.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Corp of Engineers, I wbe having to deal with them to rebuild a bridge, technically a wet land but I have never had an issue walking though it.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Dam's in Colorado are managed by the State.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, maybe not people outside the US. I don't tend to pay too much attention to government agencies and their names. Since I do a lot of driving around in the 'west', and read extensively about water rights, water management, etc in the West, I've come across it enough that it has 'stuck' (along with "Core Of Engineers', 'Bureau Of Reclamation' (BOR), etc). In fact, when thinking about BLM just yesterday, I was confusing the role of BLM with BOR - it was BOR that built a lot of the big dams, not BLM.
Too many alphabet agencies in the US.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 9:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't realize, though, that every vehicle in the US since 2008 has been fitted with a Tire Pressure Sensor, which transmits tire pressure to the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) in the car to tell you if the tire pressure is too low. I never realized it was mandatory since 2008 in the US. Friggin' awesome feature!
Yes but what you don't know is that system transmits the information to some shady organisation and if "they" want to do you harm, they send a signal back that increases the pressure causing a blow-out and car crash.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Yes but what you don't know is that system transmits the information to some shady organisation and if "they" want to do you harm, they send a signal back that increases the pressure causing a blow-out and car crash.
All funded by George Soros! Or is it Bill Gates??
Old Sep 14th 2020, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Corp of Engineers, I wbe having to deal with them to rebuild a bridge, technically a wet land but I have never had an issue walking though it.
Many dams in the west were joint projects of BOR and COE. Read Cadillac Desert - my favourite book about the American West - for an understanding of just how many of these dam projects were crazy both economically and in terms of the environmental damage they did.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 12:01 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
All funded by George Soros! Or is it Bill Gates??
Nobody knows.

Old Sep 15th 2020, 8:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody knows.

He looks like he's going to be revolting with a bogey.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Climate change.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
He looks like he's going to be revolting with a bogey.
Do you mean humphrey bogart moneypenny.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 6:17 pm
Oscar nominated

Trump Says Earth Will Cool Down If Everyone Just Turns On Air-Conditioning
WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Blasting “dumb scientists for not thinking of this before,” Donald J. Trump said that the planet would cool down “right away” if everyone would just turn on the air-conditioning.

“Scientists go around with their lab coats and test tubes and act like the planet is burning up,” he said. “I guess those beauties have never thought of turning on the A.C.”

“Air-conditioning is the answer,” he said. “It’s the hydroxychloroquine of climate.”
“Let’s say two billion people each turned down the A.C. four degrees,” he said. “Just like that, the planet would be eight billion degrees cooler.”
Old Sep 15th 2020, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

This is giving me ideas ... I'm bored right now ... It would be so much fun to create a website targeting the conspiracy theory crowd, with specifically this type of stuff. I mean, the possibilities are endless ... your microwave is poisoning your food, your smartphone is .... your laptop is ... your car is ... . Then fill it with outlandish 'fixes' like the cutting off of the 'antenna' on the tire!

I did discover last week that Google Timeline has tracked every single movement I've made since 2013 (when I bought my first Android phone, having switched over from iPhone). I was truly shocked to learn that I can go into a calendar view, pick any day of the last 7 years, and see exactly where I went on a map - the time I left the house, the approx. locations I visited, when I returned, etc. This is totally independent of using Google Maps for directions - all you have to do is have the phone turned on and with you. I'm actually very pleased with this fact as it helps me remember what I did when/where, but holy crap it's a lot of information! It uses a mix of cell tower, wifi, and GPS information to figure this out and it is remarkably accurate and comprehensive. I can imagine this would freak out a number of people (though you can simply turn off the feature, if you don't want it ... once you know about it ).
Old Sep 15th 2020, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

This is giving me ideas ... I'm bored right now ... It would be so much fun to create a website targeting the conspiracy theory crowd, with specifically this type of stuff. I mean, the possibilities are endless ... your microwave is poisoning your food, your smartphone is .... your laptop is ... your car is ... . Then fill it with outlandish 'fixes' like the cutting off of the 'antenna' on the tire!

I did discover last week that Google Timeline has tracked every single movement I've made since 2013 (when I bought my first Android phone, having switched over from iPhone). I was truly shocked to learn that I can go into a calendar view, pick any day of the last 7 years, and see exactly where I went on a map - the time I left the house, the approx. locations I visited, when I returned, etc. This is totally independent of using Google Maps for directions - all you have to do is have the phone turned on and with you. I'm actually very pleased with this fact as it helps me remember what I did when/where, but holy crap it's a lot of information! It uses a mix of cell tower, wifi, and GPS information to figure this out and it is remarkably accurate and comprehensive. I can imagine this would freak out a number of people (though you can simply turn off the feature, if you don't want it ... once you know about it ).

That feature I tend to like, I realized early on, I basically do the same exact thing each and every week.

Old Sep 15th 2020, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Many dams in the west were joint projects of BOR and COE. Read Cadillac Desert - my favourite book about the American West - for an understanding of just how many of these dam projects were crazy both economically and in terms of the environmental damage they did.
Ha! That's my favorite book of the last decade! Especially interesting if you spend time in Arizona! Very informative but also disturbing. Now, my memory of that book is more that the BOR and COE were at war with each other over funding and 'joint projects' wasn't the first thing that came to mind, though I'm sure they would grudgingly cooperate if they couldn't somehow steal the whole project for themselves. And yes, the majority of the dams they built were economically and environmentally disastrous, the motivation was to justify an ever-increasing budget. There are over 1,400 dams in California, 800 in Oregon, 1,100 in Washington. The reclaimed water was supposed to go to small farmers but through various shenanigans, ended up being given to major agricultural operations at give-away prices, which is why you now have massive 'farms' in the Central Valley of California able to waste vast amounts of water growing inefficient crops.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 6:51 pm
Oscar nominated

Sounds like it's at least worth a thread here.

I did discover last week that Google Timeline has tracked every single movement I've made since 2013 (when I bought my first Android phone, having switched over from iPhone). I was truly shocked to learn that I can go into a calendar view, pick any day of the last 7 years, and see exactly where I went on a map - the time I left the house, the approx. locations I visited, when I returned, etc. This is totally independent of using Google Maps for directions - all you have to do is have the phone turned on and with you. I'm actually very pleased with this fact as it helps me remember what I did when/where
Very useful if the police ever ask you where you were at a particular time and date. On the other hand, what if "they" tamper with the data and make it appear you really were at the crime scene?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.