Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Climate change.

Climate change.

Old Aug 27th 2021, 12:39 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate change.

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Yawn, there is also a middle way. You do not have to become a caveman to lead a sustainable lifestyle. And just so that you know there is fantastic vegetarian food. There are great organic clothes and most people could do with less driving and flying. Walking would also do their waistline and general health a favor. Yes there are things that everyone can do for the environment which require not much more than a little bit of willpower, commitment and respect for future generations.
All true, and a lot of things that help, we already take for granted like recycling, composting, energy-efficient appliances and for many, public transit. In Canada the government mandated the gradual change from tungsten light bulbs and standard fluorescent tubes to energy efficient LED units years ago, and a lot of places (incl my workplace) got significant grants to offset the cost of converting the fluorescent fixtures. Whenever I look at one of the real-time flight tracker sites I'm amazed at how many planes are in the air, even during the pandemic.

Old Aug 28th 2021, 8:21 am
If I only had a brain

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not as easy as drive less and walk more, driving less and replacing those trips with walking requires one to live in a walkable city, I would love to walk everywhere and live near everything, but alas my apartment has a walk score of 9, and there is nowhere to walk to, 90% of my driving is to 3 places, none of which are walking distance.

I would however love to live downtown Vancouver and never drive again, but that would require winning the lotto.

Organic clothing is expensive, its unfortunate the things that might be best for the planet are out of reach for so many, I looked into buying locally made work boots a couple years ago, but at $600-$800/pair, well that wasn't happening so the china made $150 pair it was.

Originally Posted by Assanah View Post
Yawn, there is also a middle way. You do not have to become a caveman to lead a sustainable lifestyle. And just so that you know there is fantastic vegetarian food. There are great organic clothes and most people could do with less driving and flying. Walking would also do their waistline and general health a favor.

Yes there are things that everyone can do for the environment which require not much more than a little bit of willpower, commitment and respect for future generations.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Aug 28th 2021 at 8:24 am.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 3:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
...my apartment has a walk score of 9.
62 for me but compared to some scores I've seen of others around the city I think it should be higher!
Old Aug 28th 2021, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

0 for me
Old Aug 28th 2021, 7:09 pm
If I only had a brain

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
62 for me but compared to some scores I've seen of others around the city I think it should be higher!
Also really depends on what is in your area vs what your needs are.

Our Vancouver apartment had a walk score of 95, however that is really useless if everything you can walk to isn't a service or store you need.

The only 3 places I utilized that I could walk to was the dollar store, the medical lab and No Frills, everything else was mostly cafes, take out places, hipster thrift stores and such.

So my driving didn't get reduced since I could only walk to like 3 places, everywhere I needed to go wasn't in walking distance, Wal-Mart, Super Store, pet store, vet, doctor, mental health for my wife, so even if a walk score is high, doesn't actually mean you can replace your car with walking.

Sure its easy for people to say, use the expensive stores you can walk to over Wal-Mart or Super Store, but that isn't feasible for everyone, I can't pay $3 more for a product just so I can walk to the store, I wish I could, but if I buy 10 items and average is $2 more over Wal-Mart, that is $20 more spent that could have been used for more useful things.

I hate driving with a passion and wish transit options were better, and our city's were designed around the car, but it is what it is, my area is the 3rd largest metro area in BC but covers 1,200 sq miles but the population is only 217,000 so while 3rd largest metro area in BC, its still rather small, but its how Canada is, but the city's have gotten so expensive its pushed people into the burbs which are car dependent to do anything really.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Aug 28th 2021 at 7:20 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

97 for me... but I do live in a very urban area.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 9:58 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

44 for Regina, 55 for my neighbourhood. It's tough without a car here.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 10:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Only 78 for me. Surprised as I can walk to just about anywhere…except for Costco.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 10:18 pm
If I only had a brain

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
44 for Regina, 55 for my neighbourhood. It's tough without a car here.
Regina is actually higher than I would have thought, but I imagine outside of central cores of major city's its rough without a car to impossible to get around easily.

I don't like car owning, I don't like spending money on cars like gas, insurance and maintenance, but I also can't afford to live downtown Vancouver and I can't get around without a car, Taxis are expensive, and bikes are not option really because hell if I am going to ride a bike on the highway, and to get from West K to K you need to take the highway.

Old Aug 28th 2021, 10:19 pm
If I only had a brain

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Only 78 for me. Surprised as I can walk to just about anywhere…except for Costco.
Upside for those who live in downtown Vancouver, there is a Costco downtown, and downtown Vancouver is rather small area wise so no matter where downtown you are, your only at most 30 minutes from Costco by foot. Costco is by the white pillow looking stadium, where the red squiggle circles are, its not visible from the aerial photos, but gives the general area its located in, no gas station though but pretty much offers anything any other Costco does, but as you can see downtown Vancouver is rather compact, and more or less the only place in BC you can actually live and never need to drive anywhere and walk pretty much everywhere.

3 ways to live downtown Vancouver, be wealthy, be homeless, or win the BC Housing Lottery on subsidized housing and get a unit downtown.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Aug 28th 2021 at 10:28 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 10:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Upside for those who live in downtown Vancouver, there is a Costco downtown, and downtown Vancouver is rather small area wise so no matter where downtown you are, your only at most 30 minutes from Costco by foot. Costco is by the white pillow looking stadium, where the red squiggle circles are, its not visible from the aerial photos, but gives the general area its located in, no gas station though but pretty much offers anything any other Costco does, but as you can see downtown Vancouver is rather compact, and more or less the only place in BC you can actually live and never need to drive anywhere and walk pretty much everywhere.

3 ways to live downtown Vancouver, be wealthy, be homeless, or win the BC Housing Lottery on subsidized housing and get a unit downtown.
Needless to say…I have shopped at the Costco in downtown Vancouver.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 10:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Having a Costco within walking distance would appear to be something of a mixed blessing ... have you EVER been to a Costco and not bought more than you could possibly carry on foot? I guess I've picked up a prescription or a hot dog once or twice in my life ... I LOVE their hot dogs and wouldn't want that temptation
Old Aug 28th 2021, 10:56 pm
If I only had a brain

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Having a Costco within walking distance would appear to be something of a mixed blessing ... have you EVER been to a Costco and not bought more than you could possibly carry on foot? I guess I've picked up a prescription or a hot dog once or twice in my life ... I LOVE their hot dogs and wouldn't want that temptation
It's easy not to buy so much, after 3 or 4 items the money is gone.

It's why we don't have a membership, just isn't feasible for people on small budgets, while not as good Ikea hot dogs will suffice only problem is Ikea only has 2 stores in all of BC. About 12 years ago when I lived near an Ikea and had limited budget, their $2 at the time breakfast was quite helpful more than once.

We had a membership in 2014 I think it was, we used it once or twice, Costco actually sent us a letter with a check apologizing they seemed to think us not going was something they did wrong, I wasn't even going to fuss with asking for the membership fee back due to lack of use, but they sent proactively sent it, not many retailers would do something like that, well then few retailers are membership based and I have never joined any other retailer, so scratch all that, nothing to compare it to.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Aug 28th 2021 at 10:58 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy not to buy so much, after 3 or 4 items the money is gone.

It's why we don't have a membership, just isn't feasible for people on small budgets, while not as good Ikea hot dogs will suffice only problem is Ikea only has 2 stores in all of BC. About 12 years ago when I lived near an Ikea and had limited budget, their $2 at the time breakfast was quite helpful more than once.

We had a membership in 2014 I think it was, we used it once or twice, Costco actually sent us a letter with a check apologizing they seemed to think us not going was something they did wrong, I wasn't even going to fuss with asking for the membership fee back due to lack of use, but they sent proactively sent it, not many retailers would do something like that, well then few retailers are membership based and I have never joined any other retailer, so scratch all that, nothing to compare it to.
Not that I want to encourage anyone to eat Costco Hot Dogs, but I have been told that you don't need membership to visit the food court!
Old Aug 28th 2021, 11:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Not much point in being able to walk to Costco if you can't walk back

Also really depends on what is in your area vs what your needs are.

Our Vancouver apartment had a walk score of 95, however that is really useless if everything you can walk to isn't a service or store you need.
Within 10 minutes walk from me - Pharmacy chain (Shoppers DrugMart) where I can buy some groceries and household stuff (plenty of bargains) including firelogs; Post office; reasonably priced fruit/veg/meat/dairy store and they also sell ice and road salt; Convenience store; Hospital; two Chinese,, fish and chips, and Domino's pizza and a cafe; three full service banks; a further 5 minutes away, two burger chains, kfc, Pizza Hut, independent subs and liquor store.

15 mins by bike adds some more fast food places, my doctor's office, a different big pharmacy chain, Giant Tiger, Dollar store. 20 mins by bike to Sobeys and Superstore (chain supermarkets) and Staples and some other restaurants.

The walk from home to Downtown is similar to the walk I used to do from home to work back in Bristol...but in later years I cycled that.

I'm a 5 minute walk from bus stops that take me wherever I need to go which would include cinema and zoo.

If I was interested in watching the university soccer football team (the highest level in town) it's about as far to walk as I used to walk to watch Bristol Rovers and if I was so minded I could walk 10 minutes for baseball. It would just be a hot dog instead of a Cornish pasty and bovril.

(unfortunately I can't cycle or walk more than a couple of hundred yards, so it's a taxi to and from but luckily not expensive with everything so close. Certainly cheaper than driving)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.