Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Climate change.

Climate change.

Old Mar 5th 2020, 7:03 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate change.

In southern Mexico I saw babies carried in baskets on the mothers' backs, with a hole strategically cut in the bottom of the basket, allowing waste to fall freely on the road. It thought it was a brilliant solution.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 7:03 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles View Post
And Planet Earth will stop being polluted & the wildlife that inhabit it will survive !
Imagine how our planet would look today if humans never existed....
Old Mar 6th 2020, 2:40 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Scrape and rinse?

No.

No thanks.
You won't have to - that's your missus' job.

Old Mar 6th 2020, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
This probably belongs in the 'memories of your past' thread, but since we have wandered into baby nappy territory, I will relate here.
I took my first baby home a few days after birth while the mother was still in hospital recovering from an emergency caesarean. I can confirm that disposable nappies were available in the 1980s. With litle training or preparation, I undertook my first evacuation experiment. The poo looked like scrambled eggs, and yes, I received the pee in the face experience.

Old Mar 6th 2020, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
I suppose I would class myself as a sceptic in so much that whilst I believe that climate change is at least in part our doing, I don't however believe that reducing carbon emissions will have any effect, not on its own anyway. If we truly wanted to save the planet we'd be seriously looking at drastic population reduction and control, huge scale re-forestation, total ban on single use plastics, and any still used fully recyclable. Recycling in general needs to be run not as a business, but as a way of preserving resources, in other words not to make a profit. I've seen councils stop recycling specific things (plastic milk bottles) because there was no money in it, completely missing the point of what they were doing.
We need to not so much reduce the harm we're doing to the planet as actually start healing it, which is going to involve huge changes, even to the way our economies run, perpetual growth in economy requires perpetual growth in population, and that isn't sustainable. I doubt I'll still be around for when it all really irreversibly turns to shit, but I kind of like my kids.
Like so many man made panics....This one will also have zero effect on what the universe has in store for us.. I'm sure indigenous tribes felt that sacrificing some of their people to the gods had some effect..but then they got wiped out by virus's or by a meteor hitting earth.The climate has always 'changed' and we have had diddly squat to do with it. The only flip side to this present squawking 'The sky is falling,The sky is falling' is that perhaps 'Man'.and I say man! because it is generally a 'He' who produces the mess's on this planet.Will be stirred enough to start cleaning around his yard, his company. The world. Picking up and disposing of rubbish like used tyres, rusting cars, old farm machinery, disused fridges, old mattress's and millions of tons of plastic. Maybe even venture back into space and collect the tons of sh** thats been left floating up there. If thats too far, maybe just a quick trip to the Arctic to clear the same in that region... On second thoughts .Let the universe do its worst.We seriously don't deserve to live here
Old Mar 6th 2020, 9:55 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
For some, presumably evolutionary, reason it's easier when it's your own kid.
A bit like thinking your kid is cute and pretty when it isn't?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
It is. I don't recall disposable nappies being around in the 80s, and even if they were I probably wouldn't have been able to afford them. Not that cloth nappies didn't use resources as well, what with the washing machine going non-stop and the amount of laundry detergent and Dettol used.

Scamp, you're going to have to toughen up before your first sprog. Shaking/scraping shite out of a nappy into the loo is no worse than changing the baby and being confronted with a nappy full of it. Looks the same, smells the same
Nervous about this. Gag reflex is not strong. Imagine poop under your finger nail.

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Two washing machines per family is the answer.
Or.....see below

Originally Posted by Cape Blue View Post
Solution. Live in maid/nanny. They're cheap here (4-500 quid a month for 6 days a week) and good. Kid will grow up with really cool Filipino/American accent too. No poopy fingers.
Old Mar 6th 2020, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
Like so many man made panics....This one will also have zero effect on what the universe has in store for us.. I'm sure indigenous tribes felt that sacrificing some of their people to the gods had some effect..but then they got wiped out by virus's or by a meteor hitting earth.The climate has always 'changed' and we have had diddly squat to do with it. The only flip side to this present squawking 'The sky is falling,The sky is falling' is that perhaps 'Man'.and I say man! because it is generally a 'He' who produces the mess's on this planet.Will be stirred enough to start cleaning around his yard, his company. The world. Picking up and disposing of rubbish like used tyres, rusting cars, old farm machinery, disused fridges, old mattress's and millions of tons of plastic. Maybe even venture back into space and collect the tons of sh** thats been left floating up there. If thats too far, maybe just a quick trip to the Arctic to clear the same in that region... On second thoughts .Let the universe do its worst.We seriously don't deserve to live here
Old Mar 6th 2020, 10:44 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ingles View Post
+1
Old Mar 6th 2020, 1:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Nervous about this. Gag reflex is not strong. Imagine poop under your finger nail.
You'll be fine. Come on here if you need any advice from us grannies, we'll either help you or laugh at you
Old Mar 6th 2020, 1:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Solution. Live in maid/nanny. They're cheap here (4-500 quid a month for 6 days a week) and good. Kid will grow up with really cool Filipino/American accent too. No poopy fingers.
You're strategy has a huge flaw in it. Your wife is likely to expect you to take care of this sort of thing as a sign of loving and responsible fath

In fact, she's likely to want you to want to do it, whether she says so or not.

Old Mar 6th 2020, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If your not being sarcastic/joking we have different definitions of cheap...ha ha

Old Mar 6th 2020, 6:45 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
If your not being sarcastic/joking we have different definitions of cheap...ha ha
Would you want to work 6 days a week for $650 USD/month or less?
Old Mar 6th 2020, 6:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Would you want to work 6 days a week for $650 USD/month or less?
I don't think that's what JSmith was driving at. The point was that for a lot of people, paying that much is expensive - not because it's a great living wage, but because the person do the paying isn't making a great living wage.
Old Mar 6th 2020, 7:52 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I don't think that's what JSmith was driving at. The point was that for a lot of people, paying that much is expensive - not because it's a great living wage, but because the person do the paying isn't making a great living wage.
I think we all know how much $650 US is. Poor people don't hire maids and nannies, that's pretty obvious, but some people have to in order for both partners to work and bring in those big bux. And the people doing the maiding and nannying need the money so they're willing to travel away from home and family to make it, even if it isn't great money. I'm a pro at poverty, loads of experience.
Old Mar 6th 2020, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes this, wasn't saying it was a great wage, just that to me its not cheap and still a lot of money, but different folks have different definitions of cheap. I've had people say we have cheap rent, when to use its like 90% of our monthly income right now, so hardly cheap in our view, but for someone making 7,000 a month, hey it may very well be deemed cheap rent.

It's about a weeks gross wage for me, so my perspective might differ. (assuming I was working based on typical pay offered, with the pending job i may have it would actually take about 45 hours to gross $650, so net would take more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.