Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Climate change.

Climate change.

Old Mar 4th 2020, 5:58 am
idealist

stevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond reputestevenglish1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Climate change.

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
So, we need a deadly virus to spread to get rid of some of the poor, the elderly and the idiots.

Perhaps, this disease could be spread by touching plastic. Eradicate a duality of endothermic feathered vertebrates utilizing a singular particle of naturally-occurring crystalline composite.
Or we could just stop having so many brats, and wind our necks in. Every unemployed person being paid to plant trees 8 hours a day, zero emissions, clean air, everything recycled / reused, living in harmony with mother nature and me at the top dressed like a hippy and worshiped as a God. Everyone would be born sterile and earn the right to have a child based on good deeds and not being a ****. Planet Mirth I'll call it
Old Mar 4th 2020, 8:35 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
I suppose I would class myself as a sceptic in so much that whilst I believe that climate change is at least in part our doing, I don't however believe that reducing carbon emissions will have any effect, not on its own anyway. If we truly wanted to save the planet we'd be seriously looking at drastic population reduction and control, huge scale re-forestation, total ban on single use plastics, and any still used fully recyclable. Recycling in general needs to be run not as a business, but as a way of preserving resources, in other words not to make a profit. I've seen councils stop recycling specific things (plastic milk bottles) because there was no money in it, completely missing the point of what they were doing.
We need to not so much reduce the harm we're doing to the planet as actually start healing it, which is going to involve huge changes, even to the way our economies run, perpetual growth in economy requires perpetual growth in population, and that isn't sustainable. I doubt I'll still be around for when it all really irreversibly turns to shit, but I kind of like my kids.
You are a stage 4/5 sceptic like me - although I think they are categories rather than stages.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 8:41 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
They need a new name, I mean hasn't the climate always changed naturally so calling it climate change makes it appear its never changed before naturally which we know isn't true.

We didn't have kids, live in a small apartment in a fairly dense city, mostly use transit, take few vacations, so we have done our part, its time for those living in houses in the burbs, taking vacations every year or multiples a year, driving their cars to work from the burbs, having kids to do their part and not lecture those of us who will never come close to a carbon footprint a family living in the burbs with kids have.

Being low income by its nature makes us conserve from necessity.

(one must not take the above too seriously, as it was not written in such a way, although there is some truth to it all, so don't get all crazy taking it super seriously okie dokie)
It used to be called Global Warming which allowed some idiots to say 'well it's colder in some places so it's not true'. So they changed it to Climate Change which now allows the same idiots to say 'well the climate's always changed so nothing new then'.

I prefer AGM - Anthropomorphic Global Warming.

You have the same sort of lifestyle as us - low maintenance - no kids. We are the ones who are setting an example.
Old Mar 4th 2020, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

This is why we're (as a planet) buggered, those of us in the developed world want to retain our lifestyle, but as Cape says, other developing countries want that same lifestyle which would be disastrous for all of us. So naturally we don't want to send the lift back down. What needs to happen is we need to send the lift back down but with us in it, and explain just how wrong we were, this is why I feel pretty despondent, the solution will require a scale of self-sacrifice that I can't see happening until everyone understands.
+ 1
Old Mar 4th 2020, 9:15 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
The answer is obvious - a systemic poison introduced into fast food......
I'd like to agree but when hungover and without supplies, a delivered Big Mac is pretty spectacular.

Or we could just stop having so many brats, and wind our necks in. Every unemployed person being paid to plant trees 8 hours a day, zero emissions, clean air, everything recycled / reused, living in harmony with mother nature and me at the top dressed like a hippy and worshiped as a God. Everyone would be born sterile and earn the right to have a child based on good deeds and not being a ****. Planet Mirth I'll call it
What if EVERY company had to be carbon neutral?

Does carbon neutral work? Who can give me an idea?
I work for companies in Construction / Property. Concrete is a bastard for the environment and buildings generally are very poor for the environment and have large carbon footprints....many are talking about making buildings / projects or their own business 'carbon neutral'. I understand the offset and whatnot, but is it effective or should they spend their efforts, money and time on reducing emissions instead?
Old Mar 4th 2020, 10:12 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

This is why we're (as a planet) buggered, those of us in the developed world want to retain our lifestyle, but as Cape says, other developing countries want that same lifestyle which would be disastrous for all of us. So naturally we don't want to send the lift back down. What needs to happen is we need to send the lift back down but with us in it, and explain just how wrong we were, this is why I feel pretty despondent, the solution will require a scale of self-sacrifice that I can't see happening until everyone understands.
We should just cut the cable to the lift - leave the rest living in their Guatemala-style rural idyll - something the left seems to think is so great.

Elysium!
Old Mar 5th 2020, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
It used to be called Global Warming..........
Not quite right....

GW was purely caused by humans, so anthropomorphic, whereas CC is a combination of natural processes and anthropomorphic.

Me.... i'm a skeptic too. Not a 100% ''it wasn't me guv", but more that there are several other factors at play..... Milankovitch, sun spots, glacial cyclicity etc.... All that said, there is no denying that as humans we have significantly f**ked up the planet, how much effect this has actually had on the climate is another argument.

I do like the idea of getting the unemployed (and the crims while were at it) out planting trees or sorting rubbish etc.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be called Global Warming which allowed some idiots to say 'well it's colder in some places so it's not true'. So they changed it to Climate Change which now allows the same idiots to say 'well the climate's always changed so nothing new then'.

I prefer AGM - Anthropomorphic Global Warming.

You have the same sort of lifestyle as us - low maintenance - no kids. We are the ones who are setting an example.
The amount of diapers alone a baby needs in its first few years, that has got to create massive waste an I imagine takes forever to break down, wouldn't be surprised if diapers used on me 41 years ago still sit in the landfill, as I hear they take a very long time to degrade.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 5:30 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
The amount of diapers alone a baby needs in its first few years, that has got to create massive waste an I imagine takes forever to break down, wouldn't be surprised if diapers used on me 41 years ago still sit in the landfill, as I hear they take a very long time to degrade.
I think this is nappies.
Use cotton nappies . Wash and reuse. No probs. Worked for my Mum and for a decade or two later. Disposables are the pits. Always have been. . End of.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I think this is nappies.
Use cotton nappies . Wash and reuse. No probs. Worked for my Mum and for a decade or two later. Disposables are the pits. Always have been. . End of.
Yes I was talking about disposable.

I don't have a need for either variety though, so all good here.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 6:32 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I think this is nappies.
What happens to the poo?

If you use a cotton one, do you scrape the poo out and flush or something? Then wash it? Or just wash it whilst there's a load of shite in the nappy?

I don't have kids and gag at the thought of shitty nappies, but surely washing and reusing isn't as hygenic?

From an environmental perspective, I thought another bad offender was the old wet wipes that parents seem to use by the thousand on a daily basis?

In fact, kids are just another environmental disaster. Less kids, less poop, less damage, less demand. We need a cull.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 6:56 am
FreeThinker

Well I don't have any experience with baby poo as I have no children (that I'm aware of anyway) so I had to look it up.

It all seems rather unsavoury...

How do I deal with poo?

If you’re breastfeeding, you won’t need to worry about your baby's poo, particularly when he’s small. It will be very loose and there won’t be too much of it, so it will wash out easily. But as your baby gets older, or if you’re using formula, you’ll need to remove as much poo as you can before you put your baby’s nappies in the wash
...and uses a lot of resources...

Set the temperature to 60 degrees C to destroy as much bacteria as possible.

Don't overload the washing machine as the nappies won't get as clean, and the friction between them will make the fabric bobble. For most machines, you can fit up to 24 nappies in one wash.

When you take the nappies out of the washing machine, they should smell fresh and clean. If they still smell of dirty nappies, even faintly, rewash them.
Best just not to have kids really.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Our new washer has a setting called baby sanitize for diapers, it washes extra hot and takes 2 hours 20 minutes, crazy long time, but I guess one can just use the regular wash and choose hot water which is only 1 hour long cycle.

I guess these new washers are more efficient with less water and use less power but man the cycles are longer, same with dishwasher, when I lived in an old apartment was 45 minutes, now 1 hour 22 minutes for the base cycle, almost 2 hours for pots and pans, but I guess they are more efficient power wise so longer cycle is still better vs older less efficient appliances?

Luckily electricity is cheap here, and water plentiful, we don't have a lack of water here, we just lack capacity to store it, so in dry summer months we can get low on supply, but the rivers never stop flowing, that water just isn't used to provide water and goes into the ocean.

Well I don't have any experience with baby poo as I have no children (that I'm aware of anyway) so I had to look it up.

It all seems rather unsavoury...

...and uses a lot of resources...

Best just not to have kids really.

Old Mar 5th 2020, 7:45 am
WWLLCJD?

No thanks. Do you then do your own washing whilst there's shit in the drum?

I'm really in favour of people being more environmentally responsible but there must be an inbetween.
Old Mar 5th 2020, 10:39 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
What happens to the poo?

If you use a cotton one, do you scrape the poo out and flush or something? Then wash it? Or just wash it whilst there's a load of shite in the nappy?

I don't have kids and gag at the thought of shitty nappies, but surely washing and reusing isn't as hygenic?

From an environmental perspective, I thought another bad offender was the old wet wipes that parents seem to use by the thousand on a daily basis?

In fact, kids are just another environmental disaster. Less kids, less poop, less damage, less demand. We need a cull.
Yes, wipes are full of plastic and don't ever degrade, just like the disposable nappies. People washed nappies perfectly successfully before they came on the scene, but it must be a huge pain. I confess I didn't use them with my son, but should have. I was in a tiny flat and didn't have a washing machine. People used to boil things like that, and yes, you scrape and rinse first. It's all biodegradable, and best washed and killed with soap and/or sewage treatment than dumped in a disposable.

"An estimated 20 billion disposable diapers are added to landfills throughout the country each year, creating about 3.5 million tons of waste. According to a report from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, disposable diapers introduce pathogens into the environment from the solid waste they contain. While the effects of these pathogens are still being studied, experts agree that pathogens could make their way into a water source, potentially polluting drinking water.Studies indicate that diapers in landfills take up to 500 years to degrade, creating methane and other toxic gasses in the process, and their manufacture uses volatile chemicals that also end up in the eco-system. In addition, estimates indicate that up to 200,000 trees are lost each year to make disposable diapers for babies in the U.S. alone."

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...0U.S.%20alone.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Mar 5th 2020 at 10:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.